Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Need some Canada recommendations

Message Subject: Need some Canada recommendations
brianT
Posted 2/23/2014 8:10 PM (#693550)
Subject: Need some Canada recommendations

So I was thrilled to have my Uncle and Grandfather call me up. They want to put together a Canada trip this summer in either June or July. My grandfather is getting up their in age and this might be the last time we all have this opportunity. I'm not too concerned about fishing for giant Muskie as they usually just like to troll around and jig for bass and walleye. I would however like a shot at a nice Muskie or a big pike. We went up to Nippising a few years ago and although a beautiful lake and scenery, the fishing wasn't very good. They are pretty open to options as long as it's not farther than 10 hours from NorthEast Pa.

They are at a point in their lives where they are just happy to get out in the great outdoors and enjoy themselves. They are not the die hard fisherman that chases giants all day. So I am trying to find something that will work for us all. I am looking for location and time of the year recommendations. We def want to stay away from the mosquito hatch but I can't recall when that is. Any lodge recommendation would be awesome. Preferably ones that have nicer boats.

Thanks in advance,
-Brian

Edited by brianT 2/23/2014 8:12 PM
Emptynet
Posted 2/23/2014 8:55 PM (#693572 - in reply to #693550)
Subject: RE: Need some Canada recommendations

The Kawartha lakes might offer what you're looking for. The area has several lakes with some very good musky fishing, along with walleyes, sm & lm bass, and pike.
brianT
Posted 2/24/2014 6:51 AM (#693620 - in reply to #693572)
Subject: RE: Need some Canada recommendations

Emptynet - 2/23/2014 9:55 PM

The Kawartha lakes might offer what you're looking for. The area has several lakes with some very good musky fishing, along with walleyes, sm & lm bass, and pike.

Thanks. Don't know much about the Kawartha Lakes. Is it a very tranquil? Any Lodge in mind that you recommend?
horsehunter
Posted 2/24/2014 7:45 AM (#693631 - in reply to #693550)
Subject: Re: Need some Canada recommendations

Some of the Kawartha Lakes are shallow and weedy and a pain in the butt to troll some like Stony are prop eaters . All lakes have numbers as well as a few big fish( no world records). There are lots of lodges on all the lakes but because of the closeness to Toronto all the lakes are very busy fishermen skiers jetskies Miami vice boats floatplanes. If you are bringing your own boat and it will handle a bit of waves Balsam or Pigeon would be my choice. I would avoid shallower lakes that run east west like Rice in case of high winds.

Edited by horsehunter 2/24/2014 9:14 AM
horsehunter
Posted 2/24/2014 8:01 AM (#693637 - in reply to #693550)

If you can time for after Labour Day the lakes are much quieter.
Anonymous
Posted 2/24/2014 9:40 AM (#693673 - in reply to #693550)
Subject: u

Edited by Anonymous 2/24/2014 9:52 AM
brianT
Posted 2/24/2014 1:26 PM (#693759 - in reply to #693631)

horsehunter - 2/24/2014 8:45 AM

Some of the Kawartha Lakes are shallow and weedy and a pain in the butt to troll some like Stony are prop eaters . All lakes have numbers as well as a few big fish( no world records). There are lots of lodges on all the lakes but because of the closeness to Toronto all the lakes are very busy fishermen skiers jetskies Miami vice boats floatplanes. If you are bringing your own boat and it will handle a bit of waves Balsam or Pigeon would be my choice. I would avoid shallower lakes that run east west like Rice in case of high winds.

Thanks, That doesn't sound like something they would enjoy much......dealing with jet skiers and speed boats. I'm looking for something with less pressure, little to no recreational skiers / jet skies.
horsehunter
Posted 2/24/2014 2:09 PM (#693779 - in reply to #693550)

Like I said before these lakes quiet down after labour day. You could look at the lakes in the Haliburton area only slightly further still in your driving range good fishing but probably no monsters.
Cal
Posted 2/24/2014 3:12 PM (#693799 - in reply to #693550)

Kawarthas are very busy in the summer. If you're looking for tranquil this is not it. Horsehunter gave you all the right info.

brianT
Posted 2/24/2014 4:47 PM (#693832 - in reply to #693779)

horsehunter - 2/24/2014 3:09 PM

Like I said before these lakes quiet down after labour day. You could look at the lakes in the Haliburton area only slightly further still in your driving range good fishing but probably no monsters.

Cool I will look into Haliburton.

What about the Ottawa River or Georgian Bay?
Boss
Posted 2/24/2014 5:06 PM (#693835 - in reply to #693550)

im not sure where on nippising you went, but the west arm is very productive. also french river. not too much pressure or boat traffic. very relaxing
brianT
Posted 2/24/2014 6:16 PM (#693856 - in reply to #693550)

Boss - we stayed at Sandy Heaven Camp right at the mouth of the French.

I've heard good things about the west arm. Any lodge recommendations over there?
horsehunter
Posted 2/24/2014 6:21 PM (#693858 - in reply to #693550)

Ottawa river is good muskie and multi species fishing but I don't know of any lodges. If you were willing to base in a motel and drive a couple of miles to a launch. I use the Champlain in Plantagenate and the free paved double launch in Wendover. The motel has a good restaurant or you could Barbeque also a plug in for your charger. The only lodge I'm aware of is the Montebello on the Quebec side but it's for Kings Prime Ministers and Rock Stars. If your boat is at least 17 feet don't overlook the Thousand Island area accommodation of all types and price ranges from posh to housekeeping cottages.
muskyrat
Posted 2/24/2014 6:22 PM (#693859 - in reply to #693835)

Not a lot of lodge style Muskie fishing out east. There is a lake called Centennial that has muskies and maybe a lodge or place to rent. If you do some research certain areas of Nippising do produce good Muskies.
horsehunter
Posted 2/24/2014 6:34 PM (#693863 - in reply to #693550)

http://www.gofishinontario.com/
brianT
Posted 2/24/2014 6:42 PM (#693866 - in reply to #693550)

Andy - you fished the Ottawa before. Any lodges up there that you know of?
BigC
Posted 2/25/2014 12:17 PM (#694049 - in reply to #693550)

Not any lodges in the areas most people fish for Muskie on the Ottawa, but there are a few the farther north you go. You might want to look at a guided trip where you'd sleep in a hotel close to the river and fish with a guy that knows the area as horsehunter suggests.

But I do know some guys that did a trip in the Mattawa area of the Ottawa river and, they caught tons of walleye but not many muskie, maybe 5 or 6 between the 12 or 15 guys that spent the weekend there. Deeper darker tannin stained water makes it a lot different from what we're used to on the Lower Ottawa.

They stayed at Lauberge des Pionniers lodge and cabins. If you've got some bucks check out Chateau Montebello they offer some pretty cool private lake options and you could always do a day or two on the Ottawa with a guide that would pick you up at their dock...not sure they rent boats however.

Oh wait there's no Muskies in the Ottawa

Edited by BigC 2/25/2014 12:46 PM
Boss
Posted 2/25/2014 2:27 PM (#694084 - in reply to #693856)

brianT - 2/24/2014 7:16 PM

Boss - we stayed at Sandy Heaven Camp right at the mouth of the French.

I've heard good things about the west arm. Any lodge recommendations over there?

ive stayed at memquisit lodge and it was pretty good, and somewhat secluded.

most of the muskies guys around here stay at lakair lodge which is same area as memquisit.

also chaudiere lodge is pretty popular on the french river for musky

Edited by Boss 2/25/2014 2:28 PM
Boss
Posted 2/25/2014 2:30 PM (#694088 - in reply to #693550)

P.S. dont bother with any kawartha lakes. too busy in the summer, mostly pleasure boaters from the city

spring & fall are good though
brianT
Posted 2/25/2014 4:02 PM (#694111 - in reply to #693550)

Thanks fellas for all the info! OK so the Ottawa doesn't sound like it has many options for what we are looking for. I'm pretty much narrowing our choices down to the West Branch of Nipeeing, the French, or Georgian Bay.
muskyrat
Posted 2/25/2014 5:11 PM (#694131 - in reply to #694111)

Most lodges are north of the best Musky fishing. There is KO lodge but you would have to boat down to Pettawawa and I`m not sure how many Muskies are there. There is a lodge and some nice looking water in Westmeath but I can`t say for sure how may muskies are in that pool. I only fished it one day and only saw one fish.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)