Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Camping on LOTW

Message Subject: Camping on LOTW
Reggie54
Posted 2/21/2014 10:23 AM (#693023)
Subject: Camping on LOTW

So, just kicking around the idea of camping a few days in the islands this summer and wondering if anyone has any experiences to share. My biggest worry is the bugs and if it'll be suicide to try and do this.
jerken jimi
Posted 2/22/2014 8:19 AM (#693190 - in reply to #693023)
Subject: RE: Camping on LOTW

I'd be worried about the bears, had them get into coolers at resorts up there,,
Yes the bugs [ SKEETERS ] Must island's hum even during the day>>>
keithtrophyfishn.com
Posted 2/22/2014 8:23 AM (#693192 - in reply to #693023)

Most the Canadian side is restricted for camping. If your not Canadian you need to pay for a slip to camp on crown lands. Bugs are always an issue. Islands with plenty of cedar trees keep most bugs away if you can find 1
dougj
Posted 2/22/2014 9:03 AM (#693199 - in reply to #693023)

Non residents are required to pay $10.00/night/person to camp on Crown land on the Ontario portion of the lake. Non-residents are not allowed to camp in Whitefish Bay, but can in other Ontario parts of the lake.

That said, I have camped many times in my younger days and there are some pretty nice camping spots in areas. Once it gets totally dark the bugs seem to sort of disappear. We did get hit by a bear once and she/he made a big mess. It used to be fun in my younger days, not so much any more.

Doug Johnson
Reggie54
Posted 2/22/2014 4:50 PM (#693281 - in reply to #693199)
Subject: Re: Camping on LOTW

Thanks for the info, might have to give it a try, sounds like fun.
Fishen-ski's
Posted 2/22/2014 8:11 PM (#693317 - in reply to #693023)

Just watched the movie (Documentary) about Timothy Treadwell....the guy who
lived w/bears in the grizzly maze. Didn't end to well for him.....bear scat.
I tent camp in Northern WI. in the forests on some fishing trips & it gets pretty
creepy sometimes at night tween the wolves & the bears. Pack some bear spray.
Reggie54
Posted 2/23/2014 10:45 AM (#693424 - in reply to #693023)

Yep, I've seen that documentary and talk about asking for it. Would definitely pack spray, but with that said I think those grizz are a different breed.
PJV
Posted 2/23/2014 1:47 PM (#693476 - in reply to #693023)

Check out this bear advisory sign.

http://www.outdooroddities.com/2008/07/23/grizzly-bear-warning-sign...
ESOX Maniac
Posted 2/23/2014 3:53 PM (#693496 - in reply to #693476)

LOL- They aren't the same as Grizzlies, they have actually killed and eaten more people than Grizzlies, e.g. documented cases of predatory behavior toward humans. They are an apex predator just like a muskie. However, to the bear you can be a nusiance or a food item to them, either way you will not like it! Sow's with cub's or big boar's are nothing to take lightly. I don't think you can cross the Canadian border with pepper spray.

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/clearing-...

https://www.google.com/search?q=us+canadian+border+cross...

Oh yeah, they are also very good swimmer's and do visit islands.......... There are lots of books about bears, I've read most of them. Just remember, these are not the Berenstain Bears....

http://www.berenstainbears.com/

Bears are incredibly fast, you can't outrun one! Be smart if you want to venture into its environment.

http://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Bear-Basics-Definitive-Mountainee...

Have fun!

Al
Esox1850
Posted 2/23/2014 6:33 PM (#693528 - in reply to #693496)

Just a watch out on bear spray, I had mine confiscated crossing the border a few years ago. I believe bear spray and human mace are both stil a no-no in Canada.
Slimeball
Posted 2/23/2014 7:31 PM (#693541 - in reply to #693023)

You can legally bring "Bear" deterrent spray across the border into Ontario. If you are camping or hiking it would be a good idea along with good common sense.

Edited by Slimeball 2/23/2014 7:45 PM
Jerry Newman
Posted 2/23/2014 11:22 PM (#693594 - in reply to #693541)

I did a lot of camping on Lake of the Woods late 80s to mid-90s… highly recommend. The game plan was to motor around and find fish, pitch the tent nearby and then be able to be on them first and last light/ect. I've pitched tents in Shoal Lake Narrows all the way over to Sunset Channel outside of Whitefish Bay (you can still fish in Whitefish Bay - just can't pitch a tent in there).

The really surprising thing for me was that it starting out as just a means to an end, but after a while I began to enjoy the camping as much as the muskie fishing. I spent a total of 9 weeks camping/fishing Lake of the Woods in 1989... really great experience that I've never regreted. What enabled me to do this was having access to a friend's extra cabin on Oak Island to use as the base camp. I didn't use a generator, and would just come in every few days to recharge the batteries, get gas/supplies… plus it was really nice to sleep in a bed.

One night I pitched a tent in the dark by myself and I woke up to a bear rummaging around on the other end of the island. It was “pretty” disturbing and I didn't get much sleep after that, then when I stepped out at first light I noticed big piles of bear droppings right next to my tent. Yeah, that kind of freaked me, and I couldn't could get my tent in the boat and get out of there fast enough! Another time by myself I woke up to weird noises and serious splashing 20’ from my tent. I was almost petrified with fear until I realized it was just an Otter shaking and eating the remains of the northern pike I had cleaned earlier in the day… well, didn’t do that again.

Like Doug says; the bugs typically die down pretty good after a while, so you either need to be in your tent before the mosquitoes come out, or you will have to wait them out. Mosquitoes were not really that much of a problem, but they can find the tiniest hole in your tent too. I recommend finding a camp site with shade for the tent/table so you can get out of that sometimes brutal late afternoon July sun. I was able to take nice naps in one of those tents with the four large windows when the black flies launched attacks. If you decide to go through with it, feel free to PM me.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)