Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> What makes you change your bait?

Message Subject: What makes you change your bait?
Jason Smith
Posted 2/4/2003 9:35 PM (#58615)
Subject: What makes you change your bait?

What is the one thing that tells you that you have been wasting your time for the last hour pitching god knows what kind of lure.

What, besides not catching a fish gives you confidence that another bait will be better?
Plitz.....
Posted 2/4/2003 10:02 PM (#58621 - in reply to #58615)
Subject: RE: What makes you change your bait?

Because you just had a hour to analyze the water,wind,sky,other boats.So now after all this plus not catching,you convince yourself that you have came up with a bigger better plan!!Also conditions may have changed in that hour wind,light,deep,shallow,weeds or rock.
ToddM
Posted 2/4/2003 10:06 PM (#58623 - in reply to #58615)

If I go back through an area and I did not produce a fish, I change baits. Changing depth and structures I may opt for a bait change as well as weed cover. Putting the best tool on for the job in front of me.
sworrall
Posted 2/4/2003 10:20 PM (#58629 - in reply to #58623)

I let location and conditions dictate my choice. Many days, the same lure stays on the rod despite poor fishing, becasue I feel it IS the right bait for the area and conditions.
esoxsmd
Posted 2/4/2003 10:38 PM (#58643 - in reply to #58615)

If the fish are following, and not eating, that is a good indication that a bait change is in order. Sometimes I'll go smaller, sometimes larger, sometimes a complete change of lure type is also necessary.
nwild
Posted 2/4/2003 10:45 PM (#58644 - in reply to #58643)

Most of the time no action on the first pass results in a regroup and change tactic. There are days however like Steve said that the same bait stays on even after hours of no action because you just no that it has to be the one for the conditions.
nwild
Posted 2/4/2003 10:46 PM (#58645 - in reply to #58643)

Sorry, double post.

Edited by nwild 2/4/2003 10:47 PM
Fishwizard
Posted 2/5/2003 1:42 AM (#58652 - in reply to #58615)

Structure. Bait selection is based off of structure not fish production otherwise many days you'd never stop changing. Any one who changes baits with every unsuccessful pass, must go through cross-locks like water, besides what are you doing with your bait out of the water? Those are my Idealistic thoughts on it and I do my best to stick to them.
jonfloater
Posted 2/5/2003 3:40 AM (#58653 - in reply to #58615)

Watching for any type of feeding! It could be feeding from anything from minnows to muskies to seagulls. Sometimes this helps me make up my mind. Also if my son is filling the boat up with a different lure I tend to switch.:O
Sponge
Posted 2/5/2003 7:01 AM (#58659 - in reply to #58615)

Rocks, stumps, trees, docks, other vessels, the back of someones head...wherever the bait gets stuck and has to be abandoned...:(

Edited by Sponge 2/5/2003 7:03 AM
7Islands
Posted 2/5/2003 7:58 AM (#58667 - in reply to #58615)

Weather conditions and structural type.Ideal weather will make me think Horizontal and faster-Bluebird days make me think vertical and slower.That being said...I tend to fish slow,deep,and horizontal most of the time anyway and its usually where it (thebait )is,not what it is so my cross locks dont tend to get overworked. If I change a bait Im usually looking to change the "trigger",or type of "bust out",not the color or profile.Confused now?? Thats what makes it a great sport.

HC "Howie" Meyer Seven Islands Guide Service Presque Isle Wis.
Musky Fever
Posted 2/5/2003 9:06 AM (#58688 - in reply to #58615)

I think a lot of it has to do with a gut feeling you have, like many have said, conditions. We all know that we get the "FEELING" that we know what is going to work (OR AT LEAST WE THINK WE KNOW):)

Many times I have put a lure on only to throw it two times, take it off, put another lure on and first cast, "WHAM" "FISH ON".
I didn't feel that the first lure was going to produce or I didn't like the action for that time or conditions.
Time on the water will tell you little things that will help you make up your mind.
Jason Smith
Posted 2/5/2003 5:32 PM (#58787 - in reply to #58688)

I change my bait....really because of confidence.

I look a lot at the past and that can be good or bad. When I am on confident water, I may use three baits all day. When I am on new water and searching for a pattern, I may use 30 to find that pattern.

I have been known to see a nice muskie on a bait and then take it off...WHY...because if that bait did not trigger the strike, I have to find something that can.

I know..I am nuts!
The Handyman
Posted 2/5/2003 5:46 PM (#58791 - in reply to #58787)

I have to agree with the Waukesha Man 100%.I don`t think your nuts,actually its a very sound approach which many other great fisherman I know also use!Handy
Krappie
Posted 2/5/2003 6:31 PM (#58799 - in reply to #58791)

I read these posts and find myself nodding my head in agreement to all the responses. I think collectively we go through certain screenings of the baits based on weather, seasonal, fishing location, experience, and "The Vibe". I'm one of those guys that will change a bait even if I've had some follows on it, but usually it's after a couple fish have turned their nose up at it. I want that bait that triggers a strike rather than "pulling the cobra out of the basket"...so to speak. I will at times take a bait and toss it in the water a couple times and immediately take it off because "the vibe" isn't there, or it doesn't seem to appeal to me due to lighting conditions or location. What's interesting is that I find myself go through different phases of presentations and lure selection throughout the years. Maybe some of it due to confidence or the yearly preferences that muskies seem to exhibit. Or the it can be that my fishing styles evolves to changing view points/tastes. But one thing is certain, Muskie Fisherman sure love their toys(baits) and we like to play with them as much as we like to fish for skies.

catch ya later,
Krappie
MuskieE
Posted 2/5/2003 11:21 PM (#58849 - in reply to #58615)

I change my baits as often as i change my underware!Not very often,there are days 3-4 days straight were I throw the same bait for 10 hours straight each day,Most the time it pays off,some times it doesnt its alll a confidence thing!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)