Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Muskie Net

Message Subject: Muskie Net
Worm Drowner
Posted 2/4/2003 10:12 PM (#58626)
Subject: Muskie Net

I could use some input and suggestions on nets. What is your favorite (brand & model) and why? A cradle won't work for me unless I grown another arm or two.

Edited by Worm Drowner 2/4/2003 10:13 PM
Craig Eversoll
Posted 2/4/2003 10:17 PM (#58628 - in reply to #58626)
Subject: RE: Muskie Net

I'm a huge fan of the Beckman Musky Pen.  They are well-built and the square bag lets you use them like an "in-the-water" livewell - the fish don't have to bend like a pretzel to be at the bottom of the net.  The guys at Beckman stand behind their product too.

Craig

Thick Shady
Posted 2/4/2003 10:21 PM (#58630 - in reply to #58626)

Both Beckman and Frabill make great nets!

I just got a brand new Frabill Big Kahuna after being hounded by Scott Jenkins to try one out.

A few things I really like about the Frabill...

The Yoke doesn't spin so "finding the hole" has never been easier. This will be very important when have a new person or someone who is very excited getting the net!

The netting is pretty much snag proof and it doesn't take much to get the hooks out of the way.

I like the wider weave of the Frabill nets they seem to drag less through the water on the HARD TO NET fish.

The Y of the net fits perfectly in my rope cleat and with a simple little velcro I can net the fish, and then secure the net while getting my tools.

That's a few things I've noticed.
Jason Smith
Posted 2/4/2003 10:27 PM (#58638 - in reply to #58630)

I am a big fan of the fin savers by Beckman. I have yet to see a cut fin since I started using fin savers.

I did get the chance to try out Frabils this summer with some friends. And I have to say they too make a fine product that is fish friendly.

Both are good, flip a coin and you wont be unhappy!.
MJB_04
Posted 2/4/2003 10:30 PM (#58639 - in reply to #58626)

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/thread-view.asp?threadid=2913...
Worm Drowner
Posted 2/5/2003 5:49 AM (#58655 - in reply to #58626)

Thanks for the input and for the link back to the old thread. Sorry to bring the topic back up for the umpteenth time. I probably should have seached on "nets" first. Looks like a coin flip between the two.
Mark H.
Posted 2/5/2003 8:38 AM (#58674 - in reply to #58626)

I have used Frabill nets for years and have been very satisfied with their performance.

I currently use two models.

1. The Power Catch series Big Game hoop style with a coated, knotless bag. All of the things "Fish it" mentioned and more...

2. I still use the "Kwik-Kradle" origionally designed by Pete Maina and Frabill. It is no longer in production but still the best net for the fish IMHO.

Note: There are currently discussions going on about possibly bringing the Kwik Kradle or a modified version of it back on the market on a limited basis.

You can check out Frabill products at www.frabill.com
Musky Fever
Posted 2/5/2003 8:45 AM (#58678 - in reply to #58626)

I use a Beckman Finsaver in the magnum size, if that's too big, go with the pro size.
I talked to the guy's at Beckman at the Chicago show and they are working on some new features for their nets, can't wait to check them out.
As stated before, both the Beckman and the Frabil are great nets.
Oneida Esox
Posted 2/5/2003 9:00 AM (#58685 - in reply to #58626)

Both nets are good nets, you will be happy with whichever one you buy.

I have been using Frabill's nets for the last 3 seasons and really like them. I have been using the Big Kahuna for the last 2 seasons and like it. The nice thing about the Kahuna is if a fish hesitates for just a second along side the boat you can scoop him up. The bag also does a great job reduciing split fins. This is very evident in my before Frabill and after Frabill fish pictures. God bless

John
Oneida Esox Guide Service
sworrall
Posted 2/5/2003 1:55 PM (#58731 - in reply to #58655)

Not at all, sir. Questions ahould be brought up now and again so the anglers who missed them in tha past can read the results. I use a Frabill Powercatch.
The Handyman
Posted 2/5/2003 4:25 PM (#58776 - in reply to #58731)

I use Beckmans,and the new magnum fin saver is the ticket for me!Last year my wife got me the big kauna for a gift and we ended up taking it back and getting the fin-saver.i have an 18' boat/tiller and the big k did`nt fit anywhere out of the way in the boat and the wife and kids could not net my fish,In my opinion its just to much net! Just another opinion! Handy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)