Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> File or stone for sharpening hooks?

Message Subject: File or stone for sharpening hooks?
mm3
Posted 9/3/2013 10:04 AM (#661025)
Subject: File or stone for sharpening hooks?

What do you feel is better to sharpen hooks - a file or a stone? On the boat, I usually keep a three inch long stone in my packet and touch up each hook with three light upward swipes on the sides of each hook. I'm sure I don't get the hooks as sharp as some of you that are really good at it though. I do use the file for hooks that are really dull, hard to sharpen, or rusty.
cast10K
Posted 9/3/2013 10:39 AM (#661033 - in reply to #661025)
Subject: RE: File or stone for sharpening hooks?

I only use a file. The luhr jensen file w/ the yellow handle seems to be the best out there. I've never considered using a stone for touch ups and finishing, but maybe I should. I just use a real light touch w/ the file.
Propster
Posted 9/3/2013 11:29 AM (#661046 - in reply to #661025)
Subject: Re: File or stone for sharpening hooks?

Dremel using the sanding discs
fishhawk50
Posted 9/3/2013 11:51 AM (#661051 - in reply to #661025)

dremel and file.. menards sells a round stone specifically made for fish hooks. i still touch em up a bit with the file though.
Killerbug
Posted 9/3/2013 12:18 PM (#661055 - in reply to #661025)

File for lures, a stone for flies.
TC MUSKIE
Posted 9/3/2013 5:24 PM (#661117 - in reply to #661025)

I like the ezelap diamond sharpener. I can also get a decent edge on my knives with it too.
sworrall
Posted 9/3/2013 7:49 PM (#661145 - in reply to #661025)

Wood handle made from a piece of broomstick, drill two holes after marking, silicone in two chain saw files side to side as tight as you can get them to fit, tie strap end together and black tape it.

Hypo sharp.
esoxaddict
Posted 9/3/2013 8:00 PM (#661147 - in reply to #661145)

sworrall - 9/3/2013 7:49 PM

Wood handle made from a piece of broomstick, drill two holes after marking, silicone in two chain saw files side to side as tight as you can get them to fit, tie strap end together and black tape it.

Hypo sharp.

That.

Well, minus the zip ties and electrical tape. I tied mine together at the end with braid and dunked it in that stuff you use to coat the handles of pliers. A little JB Weld on the end(s) that go into the handle, and you're good to go.

HoulihanJustin
Posted 9/3/2013 8:43 PM (#661164 - in reply to #661025)

Can Propster or anyone else describe how to use the dremel on a hook tip? I feel that I have been shown how to do this several ways. First pictures, then in person, and finally in person by someone who knows how to do it much better than you. Many have said that it is not how much excess is removed, but keeping that point as long and sharp as possible (not short and sharp). My mind says that a dremel would not be the best way to accomplish this, but lets see.
Jeremy
Posted 9/3/2013 9:39 PM (#661173 - in reply to #661164)

HoulihanJustin - 9/3/2013 8:43 PM

Can Propster or anyone else describe how to use the dremel on a hook tip? I feel that I have been shown how to do this several ways. First pictures, then in person, and finally in person by someone who knows how to do it much better than you. Many have said that it is not how much excess is removed, but keeping that point as long and sharp as possible (not short and sharp). My mind says that a dremel would not be the best way to accomplish this, but lets see.

Watched this from a recent thread that I can't find right now...I use a dbl. round file but....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMY1rTrQSHc
esoxaddict
Posted 9/3/2013 10:09 PM (#661178 - in reply to #661025)

I've tried it. Best advice I can give is be careful. A little off the sides, and then follow the contour of he inside of the hook. Last step is the outside edge, which you only need to remove enough metal at the tip to put a fine point on it. A few touch ups with a good file, and your hooks should all be stupid-sharp. Grind away from the point on all sides. A little coating with a sharpie after that will prevent rust. From there, a few swipes with a good file will be all you need on the water to keep them in shape. Don't go anywhere near your hooks after that!
RiverMan
Posted 9/3/2013 10:31 PM (#661187 - in reply to #661025)

A file is all that's needed to get them freaky sharp. Always inspect your hook point by placing it on top of your thumbnail.........it provides the contrast you need to see the tip really well. If you decide to sharpen, go slow and sharpen on three sides, the top, the left, the right. I always pull the file toward to the tip starting on the top then I move to one side then another............lay the point on your thumb and look at it again. Master this and you can sharpen any hook very quickly.

Jed
nocturnalmotors
Posted 9/4/2013 8:02 AM (#661230 - in reply to #661025)

Regular mill bastard file.
Zib
Posted 9/4/2013 8:30 AM (#661232 - in reply to #661025)

For new hooks I use a small sponge sanding block (med. grit 250 I think) & for other hooks I use the Luhr Jensen file.

Slamr
Posted 9/4/2013 8:52 AM (#661236 - in reply to #661033)

cast10K - 9/3/2013 10:39 AM

I only use a file. The luhr jensen file w/ the yellow handle seems to be the best out there. I've never considered using a stone for touch ups and finishing, but maybe I should. I just use a real light touch w/ the file.

Same here.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)