Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Bull Dawg Modifications

Message Subject: Bull Dawg Modifications
Zib
Posted 9/4/2013 12:08 PM (#661293)
Subject: Bull Dawg Modifications

Has anyone ever tried any modifications to the Bull Dawg or Medussa to try to prevent the hooks from fouling on the cast?  What modifications did you do & did they work? I was thinking about adding a wire between the hooks, attaching it to the split rings (see pic below). Not sure if this would help or if it would affect the hook-ups or swiming action.

greenhyena
Posted 9/4/2013 12:13 PM (#661294 - in reply to #661293)
Subject: Re: Bull Dawg Modifications

I've tried shrink wrap and putting a rubber band through the back hook hanger and then attaching it to two of the hook prongs on the front hook. Both worked pretty good to keep the hooks from fouling, but I did notice my hook-ups went down a bit. So now I just leave them alone and try to perfect my casting technique to limit the fouling.
edalz
Posted 9/5/2013 6:48 AM (#661422 - in reply to #661293)

I tried to stick one of the hooks in the body of a Pounder and missed a huge fish last year. Might have lost her anyway but it is my opinion that you should leave them free swinging. If you cast straight (no sidearm) and apply some resistance during the cast you can avoid most dawgballs. Good luck.
jasonvkop
Posted 9/5/2013 8:34 AM (#661439 - in reply to #661293)

It is all about how you cast the bait. A lot of people try to throw the baits as hard as they can which makes the bait somersault in the air which causes tangling. On your back-cast, simply let the bait load the rod then make an easy cast letting the weight of the bait do all the work for you. If you get it right the bait should fly through the air in an upright position with the nose of the bait pointing toward the boat.
Zib
Posted 9/5/2013 8:45 AM (#661442 - in reply to #661293)
Subject: RE: Bull Dawg Modifications

I rarely get the "Pounder Ball". Problem I have is the front hook swinging forward & catching the leader or sticking into the head of the bait.

catchandrelease
Posted 9/5/2013 7:03 PM (#661541 - in reply to #661442)
Subject: RE: Bull Dawg Modifications

Zib - 9/5/2013 9:45 AM

Problem I have is the front hook swinging forward & catching the leader or sticking into the head of the bait.

I would guess your problem is letting your bait sink to the desired before beginning your retrieve. Had the same issues myself and I can generally overcome it by making a few quick turns of the handle as soon as the lure hits the water, then letting the bait sink. This gets the bait moving forward initially rather than everything sinking and balling up. Not full proof, but works majority of the time for me.
BMuskyX
Posted 9/5/2013 8:06 PM (#661561 - in reply to #661293)

I've heard people talk about catching a fish on a "Dawgball"....... If your Dawg does foul, what retrieve would you use to bring it back to the boat? Any kind of action or just reel it in like mad and get her straightened out for the next cast?

Jaimy
ckhawkeye51
Posted 9/5/2013 8:11 PM (#661562 - in reply to #661293)

It feels like a ton of bricks lol....I would suggest just a normal reel back to the boat
jerken jimi
Posted 9/5/2013 9:27 PM (#661583 - in reply to #661439)

jasonvkop - 9/5/2013 8:34 AM

It is all about how you cast the bait. A lot of people try to throw the baits as hard as they can which makes the bait somersault in the air which causes tangling. On your back-cast, simply let the bait load the rod then make an easy cast letting the weight of the bait do all the work for you. If you get it right the bait should fly through the air in an upright position with the nose of the bait pointing toward the boat.
RIGHT ON !!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)