Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Tying Bucktail hair to coil

Message Subject: Tying Bucktail hair to coil
TGun
Posted 8/30/2013 8:57 AM (#660456)
Subject: Tying Bucktail hair to coil

Guys,
I'm beginning to make my own bucktails (BT)and I was wondering if I could get some advise on how to best tie BT hair to coil spring. I have made a few but the thread end seems so bulky compared to the Buchertails. Also my hair does not seem that thick. The more hair I had the thicker the thread end becomes.

Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated.
muskie! nut
Posted 8/30/2013 9:55 AM (#660479 - in reply to #660456)
Subject: Re: Tying Bucktail hair to coil

You didn't say how you did it. But make sure you add bits of hair and not one big wad. Layering is key to building up a good amount of hair. Starting at the back working towards the front building up layers as you work towards the front.
psv
Posted 8/30/2013 1:13 PM (#660524 - in reply to #660456)
Subject: Re: Tying Bucktail hair to coil

Another thing: what kind of thread did you use ?
BornToFish
Posted 8/31/2013 8:04 AM (#660630 - in reply to #660456)
Subject: RE: Tying Bucktail hair to coil

It's great to hear that you are learning to tie your own bucktails. I've been tying my own for about eight years now. I must admit that my first few bucktails weren't anything special to look at. Now, I think they look pretty good. The fish seem to think so too.

I have several suggestions:
1) Consider acquiring a fly tying vise that rotates.
2) Contrive a way to mount the coil into a fly tying vise. I have used a 10 penny nail and masking tape. I add some hair in small bits and then rotate the coil 90 degrees.
3) Lay down a lot of thread onto the coil in a coarse manner. Some of this thread will fall into the grooves of the coil - this is okay. The hair that I add to the coil will float on top of this thread. Add some head cement to lock this thread into place.
4) As mentioned by another, add bits of hair in small bunches rather than a big blob.
5) I add the hair and then secure it with two or three wraps of thread. I then rotate the coil in the vise to add another bunch. I usually add four bunches before I move forward on the coil. I secure all the bunches of bucktail in any one "step" with numerous wraps of thread and then make an overhand knot or two (in case the thread breaks, you have a "stop" built into the sequence that you can fall back to). Before you move onto the next step, add LOTS of head cement to the thread to lock everything into place.
6) Consider using coils that have a lead button formed onto the coil. This will help bulk up the appearance of your bucktail. It also saves you the step of adding a lead egg sinker behind the coil on the wire shaft, ahead of the treble hook. I bought my coils from Rollie & Helen's.
6) Use heavy weight thread of the color of your choice. I use "Big Fly" thread that I purchase at a local sporting goods store. I keep a fair amount of tension on the thread - loose wraps of thread are a bad thing!
7) If in doubt, use more head cement!
8) Not all bucktails are created equal. Some have hairi that is long and silky, such that it helps add length and fluidness to your lure. Some have hair that is shorter and more rigid, such that it poofs out when you add tension to your thread. Both types are useful.
9) You can also add hair to your treble hooks to dress them up. The combinations of things that you can do seem endless.

Tying bucktails is a fun wintertime activity. I hope that your find it rewarding to stick a nice musky on a home-made bucktail - I know that I did and continue to do so.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)