Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Tullibee spawn

Message Subject: Tullibee spawn
RobChance
Posted 9/11/2013 10:27 AM (#662561)
Subject: Tullibee spawn

How would all of you fish late in the year during the Tullibee spawn? Night vs. day success? Location? etc.

I've never fished lakes at that time of year that contained this kind of forage. Is it the same general tactics as your basic yellow perch/ sucker lake?

Thanks
jlong
Posted 9/11/2013 11:54 AM (#662601 - in reply to #662561)
Subject: RE: Tullibee spawn

Rob,
Cicso have spawning site fidelity... so where they spawned last year is where they will spawn this year. Do some homework to locate those spawning locations. Cisco will begin to stage prior to the big event... so adjacent areas will begin to hold muskies a few weeks or more prior to the actual spawn which occurs around 42F water temps.

Big Cranks and Rubber are presentations that will achieve the right depths.

Good Luck
jonnysled
Posted 9/11/2013 12:35 PM (#662612 - in reply to #662561)
Subject: Re: Tullibee spawn

on many lakes you'll be able to tell where they spawn by looking for where the eagles are lining up in the trees toward the evenings during pre-spawn ...
Larry Ramsell
Posted 9/11/2013 1:02 PM (#662621 - in reply to #662561)

Check out west facing rock points with deep water nearby.
BrianF.
Posted 9/11/2013 2:03 PM (#662641 - in reply to #662561)

How would I fish the cisco spawn?? During bright sky conditions later in the a.m. and into the afternoon, you probably are wise to fish deeper waters adjacent to the actual spawning cisco spawning sites. We're talking two to four full casts off the bank. Sometimes more. During low light conditions, early in the a.m., late in the evening, at night, or during dark cloudy conditions, you can fish tighter to the structure or cast right up to the shoreline. Fish slower. Research shows that ciscos swim more slowly and travel less when in their spawning zones. Oh, and watch for 'flippers'. When ciscos are popping the surface around you, then you are in the right spot. Muskies are probably swimming somewhere near your boat. Camping on spots at this time can be very effective. I'm half vampire and love to fish into darkness. There is nothing that compares when a biggie comes in and engulfs your bait boatside under the eery glow of a full moon. Muskies will readily eat at night when the water temps are in the high 30's. Last, but not least, don't forget to get up early. I hate to say this, but some of your best cisco-spawn related fishing will take place just as darkness begins to give way to the sunrise. We're commonly heading out in the darkness of the a.m. during this time of year, irrespective of the air temps or snow. That may seem crazy to you until you run into a wolf-pack of hungry muskies zooming in to eat or follow on nearly every cast right on your first spot of the day. Dress right and the conditions are not an issue.

Enjoy the late fall hunt! One of my favorite times of year to fish for muskies.

BrianF.
Mr Musky
Posted 9/12/2013 9:38 AM (#662752 - in reply to #662561)

Well said Brian and J! Some excellent info on this thread!
CiscoKid
Posted 9/12/2013 10:20 AM (#662758 - in reply to #662561)

In my experience the spawn can be hit or miss, and the fish do not act the same in all lakes during the spawn. It can be downright tough to get fish during the spawn, and then it can be easy. J and Sled both brought up where to look. I do the same things as them as far as finding where to fish.

Daytime hours are rough usually. I have had my best luck very early in the morning as BrinF mentioned. I know others say their best luck is under the cover of darkness. Quite frankly it can be tough to be out there after dark when it is 20° out!

I actually have better and more consistent results just before the spawn than in the midsts of it. Triple D’s, Jakes, Hardheads, and countdown depthraiders are my go to this time of year.

One more note to location. I have found muskies, and of course the ciscos, in part of the lake that I normally wouldn’t have been found fishing any other time of the year. If you don’t see cisco flipping and are not sure where to start looking start by finding clean, sand bottoms in the shallows. They don’t like bottoms with a lot of debris.
CiscoKid
Posted 9/12/2013 10:56 AM (#662764 - in reply to #662561)

Here are a few previous threads I found.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=78... spawn&highlightmode=1#M596204

Some nuggets in this one if you can weed through the crap.
http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=69...
RobChance
Posted 9/13/2013 12:55 PM (#662996 - in reply to #662561)

Thanks for all the info so far guys! I'll make sure i take advantage of what I've read.
Top H2O
Posted 10/30/2013 8:49 PM (#671127 - in reply to #662996)

Brian F nailed it,....Some really good Advice...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)