Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Casting St. Clair

Message Subject: Casting St. Clair
timhutson1
Posted 8/20/2013 5:49 PM (#658473)
Subject: Casting St. Clair

It looks like a friend and I are going to be able to Fish St. Clair in late September or early October. Both of us are new to sport and want to spend our time casting. I heard the north channel area is good for casting, any truth to that? I think we would be willing to do the Canadian side too but we will need to rent a boat from somewhere.

I would really appreciate any advice you all can give about what part of the lake to concentrate on, where to rent a cheap boat (we won't be spending a lot), how and what to be throwing that time of year, etc.

Any generalizations or specifics are appreciated. This will be my first Musky fishing trip and just want to do it right.
Bondy
Posted 8/20/2013 8:14 PM (#658504 - in reply to #658473)
Subject: RE: Casting St. Clair

St Clair is the kind of place where many techniques will work at one time in the fall. I would call that time frame 'early fall' around here. If you are renting a boat this may limit you to a smaller range but don't let that deter you. It would be smart to really watch the wind forecast that time of year because we have alot of cold fronts then which often bring strong winds and big waves before and after their passage. Don't be afraid to do some casting out in open water in places that look too big to cover in a day. The fish can literally be anywhere, including that open water, but that is the time of year there is a massive migration of gizzard shad up into the rivers. You can catch fish casting out in front of the rivers, or by casting and jigging miles into them. And plenty of fish get into the shallows too. I have lost many rattle traps to them while fishing for smallmouth in 4 ft that time of year during warm spells, mainly on the south shore. Good luck and hope this helps...Jon
Zib
Posted 8/20/2013 9:48 PM (#658528 - in reply to #658473)

If you'll be fishing Anchor Bay you can rent a boat from Angler's Pointe. If you want to fish the main lake (a better choice IMO for that time of year) then you can rent a boat from Sportsman Direct.

http://www.anglerspointmarina.com/Boat_Rentals.php

https://www.sportsmensdirect.com/store/

Both places sell Bondy Baits.

Edited by Zib 8/20/2013 9:50 PM
timhutson1
Posted 8/20/2013 10:27 PM (#658534 - in reply to #658473)

Good info. Thanks guys. What area would you choose if you were set to cast that time of the year? Are fish relating to shoreline structure or are they all out further or along the deep channel drop offs? A little bit of everything?
muskymagnet
Posted 8/21/2013 7:18 AM (#658562 - in reply to #658473)
Subject: Re: Casting St. Clair

It's not an easy place to fish, and electronics are essential. If you're new, you should probably get a guide. Spencer Berman is probably booked, and will be for the rest of the year. a guy I fished with there who might be free is Kevin Long. He's also a great smallie guide too. http://www.longcast.com/
ILmuskie
Posted 8/21/2013 7:27 AM (#658564 - in reply to #658473)
Subject: Re: Casting St. Clair

I saw Musky Hunter tv show Jim Saric and Spencer Berman casting large lures. They caught some very nice muskies and I see the lake is BIG! Casting is great if you know where the fish are. Hire guide is a good idea for save time!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)