Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Reel too full?

Message Subject: Reel too full?
dami0101
Posted 7/26/2013 10:59 AM (#653723)
Subject: Reel too full?

When I first spooled my 400 B earlier this year I only put about 10 feet of mono backing on it, this was the first time I'd ever backed a reel so I didn't know what I was doing, and then put about 125 yards of 80# power pro on it. This didn't fill up the spool very much and after a long cast I'd be left with a thin spool and while I wasn't afraid of running out of line, I figured this was probably affecting my retrieval speed, it was hard to get a DCG to bulge the surface. So I took off the power pro and backing and then proceeded to fill up about half the spool with 17# mono and then put the power pro back on. My spool is now very full, close to my thumbar, but doesn't fill it up so that I can't see the parts that rotate on the sides during a cast.

Anyways, before I did this I very rarely had backlash issues and had the spool tension set very light. Last night regardless of what I was throwing or the direction, I backlashed probably every 4th cast. I even dropped a lure in the water and then trolled to the end of the spool to make sure I had everything wound nice and tight. Is it possible that the spool is too full and that's causing the issues? I'm a little disappointed if that's what it is because with the fuller spool I was bulging my DCG a lot easier.
muskie! nut
Posted 7/26/2013 11:24 AM (#653728 - in reply to #653723)
Subject: Re: Reel too full?

Here what you do.

Spool off all the line - I like to go to a tree and place the line around it with the reel in one hand and the end of the line in the other. Then walk away from the tree. When you get to the end, remove the backing & tie the power pro on the arbor of the bare spool. Reel it up to the desired amount, trimming the excess backing off, then go back to the tree and walk it off again this time placing the backing on the reel 1st. Then you have the right amount on the reel.
Angler II
Posted 7/26/2013 11:42 AM (#653733 - in reply to #653723)
Subject: RE: Reel too full?

dami0101 - 7/26/2013 10:59 AM

I figured this was probably affecting my retrieval speed, it was hard to get a DCG to bulge the surface. .

I wouldn't be bulging DCG with that reel.
dami0101
Posted 7/26/2013 12:00 PM (#653740 - in reply to #653733)
Subject: RE: Reel too full?

Angler II - 7/26/2013 11:42 AM

dami0101 - 7/26/2013 10:59 AM

I figured this was probably affecting my retrieval speed, it was hard to get a DCG to bulge the surface. .

I wouldn't be bulging DCG with that reel.

I usually use my saltist for it, but seeing as have to slow down multiple times so I don't blow out my DCG, I sometimes use the 400 B because it's less of a concern.
SixBowls
Posted 7/26/2013 2:02 PM (#653763 - in reply to #653723)

I use the same diameter mono as braid - usually 80# & 20#. Subtract the yards on braid spool from reel capacity. Reel holds 160 yards of 80# braid and spool is 125 yards so use 35 yards of 20# mono. I either have the mono spooled at a store or use a clip on line counter. I tighten it by attaching to tree and walk it off. Sometimes it still seems like a bit too much line so I end up cutting a little bit off. I like a bit (maybe 1/8") of spool showing.
dami0101
Posted 7/26/2013 3:07 PM (#653770 - in reply to #653723)

So it seems I could work on how I measure the backing, but this post is really about asking if a spool being too full could lead the backlash issues I was experiencing.
FAT-SKI
Posted 7/26/2013 3:13 PM (#653773 - in reply to #653770)

dami0101 - 7/26/2013 3:07 PM

So it seems I could work on how I measure the backing, but this post is really about asking if a spool being too full could lead the backlash issues I was experiencing.

---
If the line was brand new and you had not had a chance to fish with it yet. YES, there is the increased possibility of having more issues with professional over runs. BUT once you use it for a trip or two, hook up with a fish, or use hard pulling baits. It will start to settle in a little bit and you wont have as many issues as you did to start with. But the fuller the spool, the more inches per crank you will get. I like to be able to see about 1/8 of my spool. that said, being able to see 1/8 is still pretty darn full
esoxaddict
Posted 7/26/2013 3:24 PM (#653779 - in reply to #653723)

Similar to what Gerard did...

1. I measured 50 yards of braid, put that on the spool, and filled it the rest of the way with mono.
2. Tied the mono on to an empty spool of another reel and reeled the whole mess onto the second reel.

Halfway through the season after cutting off a few feet of braid here and there, I got to the point where if I threw a bomb cast with the wind I'd get pretty close to the mono backing. Another 20'-30 feet would have done it.
dami0101
Posted 7/26/2013 7:15 PM (#653810 - in reply to #653773)

FAT-SKI - 7/26/2013 3:13 PM

---
If the line was brand new and you had not had a chance to fish with it yet. YES, there is the increased possibility of having more issues with professional over runs. BUT once you use it for a trip or two, hook up with a fish, or use hard pulling baits. It will start to settle in a little bit and you wont have as many issues as you did to start with. But the fuller the spool, the more inches per crank you will get. I like to be able to see about 1/8 of my spool. that said, being able to see 1/8 is still pretty darn full

Unfortunately it's not new line, it's the same line I've been using since June 1st. So I'm still at a loss as to what was causing my issues yesterday.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 7/26/2013 8:15 PM (#653816 - in reply to #653770)

I bet you had to much line on the spool also U can't get line on a spool tight enough. Try this next time U are on the water in a boat take off the lure and leave the leader on and let out all the line behind the boat at speed and then reel it back on the reel, now U will have a reel with tight line and U should not over run, if U still do then take off some line so 1/8 " from the top and turn on more spool braking.
esoxaddict
Posted 7/27/2013 11:14 AM (#653886 - in reply to #653723)

Ahh. Missed the question..

Tie off to a tree, walk all the line off, and then reel it back on while keeping tension on the line.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)