Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Canadian Fly In Package help

Message Subject: Canadian Fly In Package help
ToothyCritter
Posted 6/24/2013 2:59 PM (#648264)
Subject: Canadian Fly In Package help

Any suggestions for a fly in muskie destination for a family of 4. I was looking at the Nestor Falls site and don't know jack about those lakes and see that some lakes don't have muskies. No interest in that. Has anyone done one of these trips? With flights, boat rentals, gas and food, what should I expect to pay for a 4 day stay?

Looking to start saving for a late July 2014 trip now, but can put a deposit down anytime..

Rowan Lake
Posted 6/24/2013 3:30 PM (#648273 - in reply to #648264)
Subject: RE: Canadian Fly In Package help

I would recommend Rowan Lake and Nielsen's Fly In Lodge. I've attached the link to their website. Pricing, great musky lake, and additional information about other species to fish for. Hope that helps.

http://www.nielsensflyinlodge.com/rates/
Musky Brian
Posted 6/24/2013 3:32 PM (#648277 - in reply to #648264)

most of the fly in lakes are very small and usually have small fish. Not sure what you are looking for in that regard but staying at one of those for 4 days might be a bit overkill....and I think most of the lakes are setup for day trips, not an extended stay but I could be wrong. You can also go to some drive in destinations and get close to the same action for much cheaper.

Rowan Lake is a good call for a fly in trip with a proper resort and big fish potential. No idea about the cost but worth checking out.
Tim R
Posted 6/24/2013 3:52 PM (#648289 - in reply to #648264)
Subject: Re: Canadian Fly In Package help

Hey Man,
Come to Georgian Bay. There's a resort near my camp that has great cottages, perfect for families.Fishing is fantastic and there's lots for the family to do. Its boat access, about 15 minutes from the marina. The most pristine waters you will ever fish. World famous walleye fish and chips restaurant near by And if your a hockey fan, the Bobby Orr museum is in town, minutes away. The resort is called Craganmor . They have boats and are in prime territory. They also have a decent restaurant. You wont regret it. I'm up there all July, I could take you out for some runs
ToothyCritter
Posted 6/24/2013 3:59 PM (#648291 - in reply to #648264)

This would not be a trophy Muskie hunt, but a Northwest Ontario fly in experience. This would not be a Muskie only trip either and would like to catch some Walleye for a shore lunch a few times. No interest in bringing fish home, just a trip the boys (14 & 9) can experience the fly in deal on a lake that has plenty of action. I’ll take them snipe hunting at night as well.. Thanks Mike.
toddb
Posted 6/24/2013 6:19 PM (#648309 - in reply to #648291)

The boys at Andy Meyers Lodge do a day trip fly in if your just doing it for the experience. You will also have Eagle to fish also for the rest of your trip which isnt too shabby... Great guides and a staff that wants you to catch fish and have a good time. Plane picks you up at the dock, and drops you off at the dock.
http://www.andymyerslodge.com/canada_lodge_camp_resort_rates.htm#ca...

Edited by toddb 6/24/2013 6:26 PM
tjeep
Posted 6/24/2013 7:30 PM (#648323 - in reply to #648264)

I booked a trip to Rowan Lake with Nielsens Fly In for the opener. Due to work obligations I had to move the trip to the end of August. I know they caught a few fish over 50" on the opener. In my research I did not see one negative comment about Neilsens. I will update you on my trip in August.
DonPursch
Posted 6/24/2013 8:11 PM (#648333 - in reply to #648264)

Hey thanks for the interest was out today and all most every day on the water and today it was blowing close to 40mph just howling and we saw 9fiSh 2 47 48s on and lost them both all on top water all on the rocks not a terrible day for dealing with that kind of wind.the LT sm bass and the walleye fishing has been very good.take a minute and check out our site and if we can help in any way please just call. Always calm waters to you and thanks for the interest Don
slink19
Posted 6/25/2013 9:56 AM (#648426 - in reply to #648264)

Check out our website, www.manitouweatherstation.com. We offer fly in packages. We have Muskie, bass, pike, trout, and walleye

IAJustin
Posted 6/25/2013 10:19 AM (#648431 - in reply to #648264)

My 2 cents: You have boys 14 and 9 and you want to show the an unforgettable fly-in trip...scrap the muskie thought and concentrate on finding the best fly-in lake full of big gators (and walleyes) - depending on your budget you can get to lakes that your boys would catch 3-4 40"+ pike daily and walleyes until their arm fell off.
ToothyCritter
Posted 6/25/2013 11:06 AM (#648445 - in reply to #648431)

IAJustin - 6/25/2013 10:19 AM

My 2 cents: You have boys 14 and 9 and you want to show the an unforgettable fly-in trip...scrap the muskie thought and concentrate on finding the best fly-in lake full of big gators (and walleyes) - depending on your budget you can get to lakes that your boys would catch 3-4 40"+ pike daily and walleyes until their arm fell off.

Thanks, but they want to fish for Muskies most of the time. Jack, the 9 year old uses a large PENN open faced reel with 60lb power pro and a short XHVY St.Croix spinning rod since he can't get the baitcaster down yet. It works great and he has a 36" Northern under his belt on a buchertail. He wants his first Muskie and we will give it another go during the July 4th break. Took him to Little Arbor Vida and he lost one at the boat on the 18th. Close but no cigar and that's muskie fishing. Thanks for all the ideas, we will sit down this weekend and make a decesion. My wife asked if the fly's were bad in Canada last night, I said no worse that any other lake. Had to keep my game face on after that!!
Trollindad
Posted 6/25/2013 11:14 AM (#648448 - in reply to #648264)

you can go to the Indian Chain (north of Eagle) for fly in action for musky at a drive to camp (s)
Brian
Posted 6/25/2013 12:09 PM (#648456 - in reply to #648264)

Regarding the snipe, keep in mind that there are bears out there that hunt for snipe at night too. You don't want to be in the bad position of catching a snipe and then having a bear come after you. Plus, make sure you don't get lost out there. Maybe consider snipe hunting back home where it is safer and there is a smaller area to roam. Just sayin.

Brian
ToothyCritter
Posted 6/25/2013 12:57 PM (#648475 - in reply to #648456)

Brian - 6/25/2013 12:09 PM

Regarding the snipe, keep in mind that there are bears out there that hunt for snipe at night too. You don't want to be in the bad position of catching a snipe and then having a bear come after you. Plus, make sure you don't get lost out there. Maybe consider snipe hunting back home where it is safer and there is a smaller area to roam. Just sayin.

Brian

LMAO!!! Just stand there with the bag and a flashlight, I'll bang on the pan with a wooden spoon and they will run towards the light.

"Bears hunt snipe at night” you crack me up!!
Musky Brian
Posted 6/25/2013 3:02 PM (#648502 - in reply to #648448)

Trollindad - 6/25/2013 11:14 AM

you can go to the Indian Chain (north of Eagle) for fly in action for musky at a drive to camp (s)

Yeah..mentioned this earlier but I really would keep an option like this on your table if you don't find exactly what you are looking for. I would consider Canyon Lake if I were you... the action out there is just awesome. Great place to get kids in on the musky thing.You will catch/see probably close to the same fish as a fly in, it's generally a quiet and very scenic lake, and you will save yourself hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

Edited by Musky Brian 6/25/2013 3:04 PM
Doug Dible
Posted 6/25/2013 5:01 PM (#648521 - in reply to #648264)

Rowan hands down. Don will treat you great and you also have several trophy lakes for walleyes and northern that you can make a day and just take a short walk to several other small lakes. They are full service but also have hosekeeping that is a short boat ride from camp tha makes you feel all alone. The plane ride is good if this is first time for kids about 15min and you can be fishing. If you are planning 4 days you can get a week of fishing in you 4 days. check out there web site. Doug Dible
Boss
Posted 6/25/2013 7:25 PM (#648547 - in reply to #648264)

Not sure If its too far for you, but Lac Seul is a trophy fishery and the boys can also catch pike and walleye all day long. With trophy potential for those too
rpieske
Posted 7/5/2013 9:03 PM (#650150 - in reply to #648264)

Why don't you contact Dave Beauchene at Nestor Falls Fly-in and book a trip to Kay Lake. This is a trout, smallie, muskie lake with gin clear water and one of the most beautiful lakes up here. I used to stay there for a week for years. I know this will sound like heresy, but that lake is so beautiful you will have a great time even if you don't catch a PB. There are HUGE muskies there and Dave and Michele run a superb operation. Tell them Bob Pieske says Hi....
http://nestorfalls.com/fishing/muskie/
Big Perc
Posted 7/6/2013 9:46 AM (#650194 - in reply to #648264)

Rowan....no question, dad and I are headed back in August....It's the only place I have ever been Muskie fishing where there is little to no pressure and the muskies act like muskies....the service is top notch as well...I am literally counting the hours....33 days 14 hours and 33 minutes till we leave....

Edited by Big Perc 7/6/2013 9:49 AM
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 7/6/2013 9:57 AM (#650196 - in reply to #648264)

Rowan Lake, will spoil you and your family, and will make family vacation time planning so much easier for future years, as you will just confirm the week each year moving forward!
IlliniMuskie
Posted 7/6/2013 10:53 AM (#650199 - in reply to #648264)

How many people does the housekeeping cabin on Rowan accommodate?
DonPursch
Posted 7/6/2013 11:13 AM (#650200 - in reply to #650199)

Our out post cabins will sleep 6 with all cooking utensils bed linens towels all you would need is a camera and your sun screen.all the ice you can use at the lodge and the coffee and cookies are always there for you.always calm waters to you thanks foe the interest.Don
jackpotjohnny48
Posted 7/6/2013 11:23 AM (#650202 - in reply to #648264)

Nielsen's Fly In on Rowan: I've been there 6 times and it's simply the best experience in musky fishing, hands down, in my opinion. If you take your kids there, and they see some of the followers that are swimming around in that water, they'll be hooked for life. (Even on days you don't set hooks, some of the followers there will make your jaw drop and your knees shake). It's hands down my favorite place on earth.

Other possibilities (places I've researched but never been to....)

Green Island Lodge (Manitou): Like Nielsen's this is a full service lodge with on site staff.

Kishkutena: Just outside of Nestor Falls. Apparently it is loaded with smallmouth bass and muskies. The bass fisherman get tons of accidental skis from what I've heard. Also has lake trout I think, so might be big fish potential, but I've heard it's more of a numbers lake.

Kay: Heard some pretty good stuff about this, although haven't spent much time researching. Like Kishkutena, smallmouth and musky are the main attractions here from what I've heard.

Shinwak: Heard some good things about this body of water, although I don't know how you access it. I think you could portage in from Rowan possibly, or maybe talk to the guys at Allen's Crow Lake Camp to see if you could portage in from Cameron Lake.

Meggisi: This is a trout water with big fish potential from what I've heard, although I didn't look into it all that much. Don't even know if you can still get to it or not. L&M fly in outposts used to have a cabin or two there, although I don't know if they are still in business and/or operating that cabin.

Obviously you'll be paying more at the full service camps (Rowan and Manitou), but Rowan is as close to a sure thing as you're ever going to find in terms of having a great trip.

My opinion / guess is that none of these lakes would be really good in terms of walleye fishing... Bass fishing... maybe, but I think it's hard to combine great walleye fishing with great musky fishing with fly in. I just haven't found any lakes that meet all three criteria.

If you're willing to combine fly in with walleye with big northern pike, you may want to look at Little Vermilion Lake (Sportsman's Lodge, I believe).

Hope that helps,
"Jackpot" John Schroeder
IlliniMuskie
Posted 7/6/2013 11:38 AM (#650204 - in reply to #650202)

jackpotjohnny48 - 7/6/2013 11:23 AM

Nielsen's Fly In on Rowan: I've been there 6 times and it's simply the best experience in musky fishing, hands down, in my opinion. If you take your kids there, and they see some of the followers that are swimming around in that water, they'll be hooked for life. (Even on days you don't set hooks, some of the followers there will make your jaw drop and your knees shake). It's hands down my favorite place on earth.

Other possibilities (places I've researched but never been to....)

Kishkutena: Just outside of Nestor Falls. Apparently it is loaded with smallmouth bass and muskies. The bass fisherman get tons of accidental skis from what I've heard. Also has lake trout I think, so might be big fish potential, but I've heard it's more of a numbers lake.

Hope that helps,
"Jackpot" John Schroeder

Ive been to Canada once before on a fly-in. Lawrence Lake for pike/walleye/lake trout. Loved it, but next time it has to be a muskie lake. Pretty sure I have it narrowed down to Rowan or Kishkutena.

Kishkutena. I know some guys who've been to Kish 20+ times, and I think you have pretty well summed it up. Really clear water, lots of smallies, tons of follows, and a good action lake. Mid-forties fish possible with an outlier at 50"+ a possibility every few years. I would love to go here first because all the stories I've heard from my buddies make me feel like I already know the lake. Sad to admit, but I've spent hours studying aerial maps of the lake just in case I ever get to go there.

Rowan. I've searched the entire Internet and not only have I not found a negative word about Rowan, I've rarely seen anyone who didn't proclaim it as hands-down the best option in all of NW Ontario. It sounds literally like heaven on earth. We are looking at housekeeping plans for 2 reasons......1) economics......2)we are kind of DIY people and it also adds to the remote feeling when you don't share the camp and when you fend for yourself. Give and take.

rpieske
Posted 7/16/2013 7:59 AM (#651867 - in reply to #648264)

Kishkutena was known as Height of Land when I was young. It is a GREAT place for action. I highly recommend it for a father/son trip or a first fly-in trip. You used to get there by portaging in through Marl and Wigwam Lakes. Good numbers of muskies in Wigwam also. In 1962 I helped rebuild all the portages into Kish. Five young guys, three boats and one filled with beer......paradise for a 19 year old. Most people fly-in to Kish now. You can still portage in a camp boat, but if you are like me.....too old. Kay lake is not a numbers lake, but it has some monster muskies.

Edited by rpieske 7/16/2013 8:01 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)