Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Opti Tackle Planer Boards

Message Subject: Opti Tackle Planer Boards
MuskyMike51
Posted 5/15/2012 2:20 PM (#559930)
Subject: Opti Tackle Planer Boards

I was strolling through a local sporting goods store and stumbled upon a new planer board that i hadn't seen before. Its a green board and has the Opti Tackle Co logo on it. Just curious if anybody else has had experience with these boards?

The store i was at sold the board with a prerigged tattle flag for $30. I grabbed a pair to try out as I have been starting to build my trolling inventory. From what i can see it looks like an Off-shore board style with Church Tackle type clips..

Any feed back appreciated.
jakejusa
Posted 5/16/2012 1:01 PM (#560139 - in reply to #559930)
Subject: RE: Opti Tackle Planer Boards

after you run them please give a report on them.
MuskyMike51
Posted 5/16/2012 7:51 PM (#560199 - in reply to #560139)

I ran them last night on winnebago for about an hour chasing walleye's... We were pulling flicker shads at about 2.1 mph and they ran fine. But running a small crank at 2.1 compared to a hard pulling musky cranks at 4 mph are completely different, i know.

I did have one issue with one of the boards out of the box. The clip mechanism relies on a washer sliding over an internally threaded shaft that the spring compresses over with a stainless screw. One of my boards had a "washer" that was a little tight and was not allowing the spring to compress the line clip and thus hold the line. I took a slightly larger drill bit and honed out the washer ever so slightly and it worked just like it should have.

After having laid it down next to an off-shore brand board they are very similar in style. A guy could easily switch out the clip styles to the off-shore type clip as the setup is pretty much identical.

Other than the initial spring issue the boards ran fine in the water. The spring on the tattle flag is a little light for running at 2+ mph in some pretty decent waves. If we would have been pulling crawler harnesses they would have been fine.

I did notice after tearing the package open that the boards were made in China.
hank
Posted 6/26/2012 8:40 AM (#567603 - in reply to #559930)

how do you hook up the spring. there are no instructions!
MuskyMike51
Posted 6/27/2012 4:28 PM (#567927 - in reply to #559930)
Subject: Re: Opti Tackle Planer Boards

Not sure what you mean? The ones i bought had the line clip, with the spring, already assembled. Here is the youtube link that from the company.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kXo9rt6PP4

hank
Posted 6/27/2012 6:33 PM (#567949 - in reply to #559930)

my springs were seperate on all 4 I bought. How are yours rigged, I am confused? I saw the video with no help there. I am new to planer boards
celticman
Posted 5/16/2013 11:04 PM (#641815 - in reply to #559930)

The large/rounded end of the spring clips onto the wire running to the back clip, and the slanted end fits through whichever hole you want to use for tension. It took me awhile to figure out how that worked, as the slanted end has to be run through the hole before the larger end is attached.
MuskyMike51
Posted 6/19/2013 2:13 PM (#647455 - in reply to #559930)
Subject: Re: Opti Tackle Planer Boards

anybody know if parts are available for these?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)