Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Good lures for those with limited mobility?

Message Subject: Good lures for those with limited mobility?
dami0101
Posted 5/29/2013 3:19 PM (#643922)
Subject: Good lures for those with limited mobility?

Hi,

I'm wondering if I can get some suggestions for lures that would work well for those with limited mobility. Last fall my dad had an accident and tore his rotator cuff and the doctor says he'll be lucky to get back to 80%, will probably do not better then 60%. He's right handed and the tear occurred in his right shoulder. So far this year it's just been sunny and bass fishing using a spincaster and casting left handed, but with the musky opener coming up this weekend in MN he's been talking a lot about it. Most of our lures are on the larger side but obviously he won't be able to throw a 5 oz lure very well and he doesn't have the coordination required for gliders atm.

Any advice is appreciated.
muskellunged
Posted 5/29/2013 3:46 PM (#643930 - in reply to #643922)
Subject: Re: Good lures for those with limited mobility?

Spring Dawg, 3/4oz spoon or spinnerbait. A smaller echotail would be a good choice as well.
wicked
Posted 5/29/2013 3:53 PM (#643931 - in reply to #643922)

Smaller tails swim baits top water
dtaijo174
Posted 5/29/2013 3:55 PM (#643933 - in reply to #643922)

esox cobra jigs.
muskyhunter47
Posted 5/29/2013 3:58 PM (#643935 - in reply to #643922)

suick
Brad P
Posted 5/29/2013 4:05 PM (#643937 - in reply to #643922)

Small twitch baits could be a solid option. Also, why not add some trolling ino the mix? Good way to use big baits without nearly the stress on the angler.
dami0101
Posted 5/29/2013 4:21 PM (#643942 - in reply to #643937)

Brad P - 5/29/2013 4:05 PM

Small twitch baits could be a solid option. Also, why not add some trolling ino the mix? Good way to use big baits without nearly the stress on the angler.

We could possibly do some trolling, I looked at getting a trolling girl or two for him, but the boat isn't really set up for trolling since the electric motor only gets up to about 2 MPH and Twin Cities area lakes are like slalom courses a lot of the time.
Brad P
Posted 5/29/2013 4:28 PM (#643943 - in reply to #643922)

At those speeds I'd probably stick with small to medium cranks. Depthraiders would be a great option, plus they are a less expensive bait. Smaller spinner baits would be be good as well. Shallow Invader isn't a bad option either, great twitch bait and can also be trolled well at slower speeds.

Also if he makes a go of it, get him some double 8 bucktails for later in the year. Very light weight and minimal drag when retrieved.
ut-tigerchaser
Posted 5/29/2013 11:58 PM (#644032 - in reply to #643922)
Subject: RE: Good lures for those with limited mobility?

6" Jake easy retrieve and twitch , mepps maribou has a good profile and thump and light to cast , spinnerbaits are another excellent option
BMuskyX
Posted 5/30/2013 12:13 AM (#644034 - in reply to #643922)

My father stays seated when fishing musky these days and most often throws a Hawg Wobbler. To keep up pace with whatever I'm using, he reels faster than I would ever suggest with that bait but does OK.....no figure eights either, but still puts a few in the boat. Top raider now and then too. Basically straight retrieve topwaters!
RyanJoz
Posted 5/30/2013 6:46 AM (#644041 - in reply to #644034)

5 inch tuff shad or baker shad. Once you get used to them they roll right into the first turn of the 8 and that is where most strikes occur. I may be the only one who casts these baits instead of trolling but I have great luck with them
NPike_Guy
Posted 5/30/2013 10:16 AM (#644091 - in reply to #643922)

+1 for prop-style topwater
Brian
Posted 5/30/2013 2:13 PM (#644148 - in reply to #643922)

I would recommend a shallow running, straight model minnow bait. They cast well because they are aerodynamic. He can jerk with his good arm (hold the foregrip) and reel in slack with his other arm. There is really no wrong way to fish this lure. Long pauses and random jerks are good. Research the "boatside rise" from the Musky Hunter TV show. This can be an alternative to a figure eight.

Another option is to vertical jig a bulldawg under the boat. He can pick up your late followers that you don't see. A variation on this is to precision troll super tight to structure with a bulldawg. You can remove the rubber from a rubber core sinker and clamp it on your leader for extra weight.

When you pull up to a spot, have him drop the lure over the side while you are still motoring. He gets one easy cast and can pick up a fish that was attracted to the outboard.

Once in a while, make a long bomb cast for him and then hand him the rod.

Enjoy good quality time with him!

Brian
jdsplasher
Posted 5/30/2013 6:18 PM (#644186 - in reply to #644148)

JIG AND CREATURE
jlong
Posted 5/31/2013 8:16 AM (#644246 - in reply to #643922)

One option that would allow him to use larger lures would be to learn how to use the underhand flip for a casting technique. Hold the rod with his left hand/arm and use an underhand motion to lob a lure out. Then he'd only use his right side for reeling.

I do this a lot for short, precise shoreline casting with light bucktails.... but it also works well for lobbing out larger lures. Just a thought for him to give a try. Good luck.
dami0101
Posted 6/2/2013 11:02 PM (#644588 - in reply to #643922)

Well we got out saturday and before the cold front moved in he moved a lure on a 10" suick but after about 30 minutes he said it was too much for his arm and so he switched to a large rapala minnow and he threw that for the rest of the day. So it seems like 2 ounces is on the high end for him.
BenR
Posted 6/3/2013 9:51 AM (#644629 - in reply to #643922)

Fishing jig and creatures is a great way to spend the day. You also get access to larger fish standard techniques miss, with the large bass, pike, or walleye thrown in as a bonus through out the day. BR
Mikes Extreme
Posted 6/3/2013 10:04 AM (#644631 - in reply to #643922)

Slow roll spinnerbaits or small crank baits for day fishing. Creeper or Hawg Wobbler at low light times. Small cranks work great. They are the most under used baits I know of. Reel almost 3/4 of the way to the boat and then lift the rod a pull or two before the lure gets to the boat. That will get you a reaction strike like a figure 8 if he can't do boat side finishes.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)