Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Reef Hawg Question

Message Subject: Reef Hawg Question
catfishonthelake
Posted 6/9/2013 12:33 PM (#645624)
Subject: Reef Hawg Question

I'm looking to get a Reef Hawg or two that works properly, but I've had some issues in the past. A year ago or so, I ordered two from Fudally's website, and after a month of not getting my lures, a returned phone call or a returned email, I had PayPal refund my money. I then ordered a couple from the Thorne Bros. and both of them had the V on the lips cut misaligned and neither worked properly. I also noticed that Rollie's doesn't carry them anymore. Has anyone had issues like this and does anyone have a suggestion how I can find a Reef Hawg that actually works?
sworrall
Posted 6/9/2013 12:51 PM (#645626 - in reply to #645624)
Subject: RE: Reef Hawg Question

They all 'work' but are not designed to nor will they walk the dog or do anything 'automatic'. Very erratic retrieve works best, and muskies eat 'em. The cuts on the nose never 'line up exactly' and I am pretty sure that makes no difference.
NPike_Guy
Posted 6/9/2013 3:16 PM (#645644 - in reply to #645624)
Subject: Re: Reef Hawg Question

My experience with reef-hawgs is often the dumber they look in the water the more effective they are. Sometimes it takes a while to beat them up enough to the point where they are more neutrally buoyant. You can also play around with larger hooks or use the weighting kits to achieve the buoyancy you're looking for.
djwilliams
Posted 6/9/2013 3:31 PM (#645650 - in reply to #645624)

Cast it, tap it down with a few short rod tip downward strokes, and keep that up all the way in in a smooth rhythm. The bait will stroll left to right with a nice pattern bout 3 feet under the water. They'll crack a bit on you but still work fine. If they get chewed up a bit just retouch em with a bit of paint. Old fashioned and fish follow em. Good choice.
zombietrolling
Posted 6/9/2013 4:03 PM (#645651 - in reply to #645624)

They tend to run "better" after soaking up some water. Love that they are erratic.
MuskieFever
Posted 6/9/2013 5:12 PM (#645656 - in reply to #645624)

I'm assuming most of you use steel leaders as well?
andreula
Posted 6/10/2013 6:33 PM (#645811 - in reply to #645624)

No like here withem either. My fav. jerkbaits are the crazy eratic baits....ive tried a few hawgs in the past and they just wouldnt run for me...
catfishonthelake
Posted 6/10/2013 8:27 PM (#645827 - in reply to #645811)

I am using a single-strand, steel leader. I took the ones I had to a local pond the other day. After messing around with some longer pulls, I got a better action out of them. Think I'm gonna give 'em some more action.
Ebenezer
Posted 6/10/2013 10:49 PM (#645864 - in reply to #645624)
Subject: RE: Reef Hawg Question

some Reef Hawgs I like better than others. I do not know which ones I like better until I drive them. Some get driven lots, some I give away. No different than any other bait. Some I know I'll like them when I buy them, some are total disappointments. Nature of the lure. You'll either learn to accept this, or move on to a different bait. When you get a good one, you may accept this philosophy.
cast4musky
Posted 6/10/2013 11:05 PM (#645865 - in reply to #645624)

Ebenezer, is right on the Money. They do not all run the same, total opposite. Find the one that runs the way you want it to and sell ones you don't like.... Some Guys will be selling the ones that run like the one you like, and looking to get a few like the ones you do not like.............. Mike
Ebenezer
Posted 6/10/2013 11:14 PM (#645868 - in reply to #645865)

Mike knows Reef Hawgs. Listen to him.
jdsplasher
Posted 6/10/2013 11:18 PM (#645869 - in reply to #645865)

I used to be frustrated with reef hawgs, BUT not anymore. If they don't run Like I want them to, I weight them and change the screw eyes, + rattles. I had a few guys give me theirs to modify, and they loved them. Been fixing the poor runners for years. The late great Dick Wanasek from MW marine was a reef hawg junky. He had me modify 3-8  baits, 6" hawgs just about every year.

JD

Ebenezer
Posted 6/10/2013 11:27 PM (#645872 - in reply to #645869)

I used to modify reefers. I can make almost any reefer work like a metronome. It looks good, which meant I fished it more, but I believe the magic comes from within the lure, and how you work it. A magic reefer is truly magic. All the others can get bit, but I 've come to accept buy 10 to get one. I'm good with that. No different than buying a dozen "identical" Rapalas, Mepps, Daredevils, Suicks, DCG's, Hawg Wobblers, etc. A select few have IT and work often. Some get bit once in a while. Others I don't care when they get snagged and lost. Been that way in my mind for 40 plus years, and I don't mind.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)