Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> how will late spring impact fishing this spring/summer?

Message Subject: how will late spring impact fishing this spring/summer?
Dave T.
Posted 5/1/2013 9:00 PM (#638713)
Subject: how will late spring impact fishing this spring/summer?

Just wondered what you guys think about this?

Is it just gonna push back spring/summer patterns a few weeks?

Or do you think it will change the whole season for better or worse?

Dave
Cowboyhannah
Posted 5/1/2013 9:38 PM (#638718 - in reply to #638713)
Subject: Re: how will late spring impact fishing this spring/summer?

I know certain lakes that really turn on when water temps hot a certain level. I would guess these lakes will turn on a couple weeks later then normal.
cave run legend
Posted 5/1/2013 9:46 PM (#638721 - in reply to #638713)

Its been a struggle in the south.
esoxaddict
Posted 5/1/2013 10:31 PM (#638727 - in reply to #638713)

As far as the rest of the season? Who knows. It's been more of a normal spring than the previous 5 years or so. It could get hot in a few weeks and stay hot, and we'll be facing the same crap we had last July, where the water in N/WI was pushing 80 for several weeks. It could stay cool and we could have 68 degree water in July...

If it stays cool, we'll be fishing weeds later and longer than usual. I don't really care if the fish don't move out onto mid lake structure until August. They'll do what they do. Maybe weed growth will be stunted some. Maybe the cabbage won't start dying off as soon. I really don't expect anything all that different to be honest. Worst case is cooler water through the season, and that's not a bad thing. My hope is that since it's still cold and there's still ice that this years spawn will be more successful, for all species, and we'll have some nice year classes coming up a few years down the road.

Either way, the fish don't care. It might make the next few weeks tougher for all of us, but it ain't gonna hurt the fish any.

Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 5/2/2013 7:51 AM (#638756 - in reply to #638713)

My rules still are intact (see below), however the main benefit of this late spring could be keeping the SE Wisconsin water temperatures below the mid and upper 80's which we have suffered through many of the most recent years.
enice
Posted 5/2/2013 9:36 AM (#638783 - in reply to #638713)
Subject: RE: how will late spring impact fishing this spring/summer?

I actually think it will make the season better as a whole, at least where I fish. We have gotten lots of much needed precipitation and the lakes are up to more reasonable levels. The normal winter with actual snow sitting on the ice should have helped thin the weeds on some lakes that have gotten pretty bad. The fact that it has been colder than the last few years will probably make them a bit more sluggish to start the year, but give it a few weeks and I think that will change. It has been too hot and dry the last 3 years, and we really needed a more normal winter and spring to kind of reset things.

Edited by enice 5/2/2013 9:37 AM
BNelson
Posted 5/2/2013 9:40 AM (#638785 - in reply to #638713)

it would be great if water temps in southern WI hovered in the mid to upper 70s and didn't get too hot..the last 2 summers we have not been able to fish about 2 months of the season from high water temps...the last 'cool' summer here the fishing was great all summer... keep them cool is fine w me
ulbian
Posted 5/2/2013 10:14 AM (#638791 - in reply to #638713)

I love this weather.

Too many people think that last year is the way it should be with 80 degree temps in March. No thanks. Let the spring thaw go slowly rather than all at once to let everything soak in instead of running over the top or quickly evaporating.

Colder, wet spring providing a nice moisture base in the ground> Dry, hot conditions in June that makes everything burn up

Seeing water temps in the mid 70's in Central WI over Memorial Day weekend sucks. I'd be perfectly happy if the ice wouldn't go off the lakes until about the Wednesday before Memorial Day every year. It would keep more of the irritating recreational crowd in dry dock a little bit longer.
MuskieFever
Posted 5/2/2013 11:24 AM (#638799 - in reply to #638713)

A colder spring/summer would definitely help survival rates. I'm sure more than a handful of fish ended up floating because of hot water for a sustained amount of time.
cave run legend
Posted 5/2/2013 11:46 AM (#638803 - in reply to #638799)

Last year at cave run water was hitting 80ยบ by memorial day, hopefully it won't hit that till about july and cool back down around labor day.
Top H2O
Posted 5/2/2013 12:07 PM (#638808 - in reply to #638803)

I'm with Nelson on this one.

Cool temps are usually better for the fish,....And then when you do get a couple of nice stable hot weeks in July and August the fishing is pretty darn good.

Up and down swings in weather patterns effect the catching more than just a STABLE Cool Spring or Summer.

Jerome
Larry Ramsell
Posted 5/2/2013 12:17 PM (#638810 - in reply to #638713)

Summer may never come to Hayward...15 inches of snow today so far and still snowing!
Dave T.
Posted 5/2/2013 5:24 PM (#638864 - in reply to #638810)

I moved my late June trip up north to late July.

So there will probably be a heat wave now!!

Dave
KSauers
Posted 5/3/2013 7:01 AM (#638921 - in reply to #638713)

I guess this is why they changed their fear mongering from global warming to climate change. Climate change covers every senario. The only thing constant is we humans are responsible. How long before this gets deleted?
sworrall
Posted 5/3/2013 7:24 AM (#638927 - in reply to #638921)

KSauers - 5/3/2013 7:01 AM

I guess this is why they changed their fear mongering from global warming to climate change. Climate change covers every senario. The only thing constant is we humans are responsible. How long before this gets deleted?

'How long before this gets deleted'
??

Tim R
Posted 5/3/2013 7:36 AM (#638929 - in reply to #638713)

There's one constant in this upcoming weekend beyond global weather, patterns, baits, moon, winds, etc etc etc. I will be in my boat fishing for 10-12 hours a day and lovin life !
Herb_b
Posted 5/3/2013 9:14 AM (#638945 - in reply to #638713)

Last spring was unusually warm and this spring it is unusually cold. The entire northern hemisphere has been cold this spring. But weather patterns change so fast that there is no way to predict what the summer holds. The weather forecasters can't even predict what will happen in a week, much less two months. I just love the people that think they can predict weather in 10 years with computer "models". To date, those multi-year models have not predicted anything correctly - not even once. Weather and climate are just to random.

I'm hoping for an "average" summer, but those rarely happen. All we can do is hope for the best and adjust as best we can to the conditions as it comes.
KSauers
Posted 5/3/2013 4:53 PM (#639052 - in reply to #638713)

I scheduled my annual trip to Eagle the end july this year from my usual end of August. I hope things normalize by then and end of july will be like normal. I'm sure not looking for fishing for spawning fish in July.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)