Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> WI Conservation Congress Hearings TONIGHT 7PM

Message Subject: WI Conservation Congress Hearings TONIGHT 7PM
Jomusky
Posted 4/8/2013 11:37 AM (#632756)
Subject: WI Conservation Congress Hearings TONIGHT 7PM

Please take the time to attend a meeting. Doesn't have to be in the county you live in and you don't have to stay for the whole meeting if you can't, however staying for the musky items and asking for support will help our cause immensly.

The 2 main musky items will be:

1) Statewide trolling all lakes 3 lines. I urge a no vote. This will be bad for our musky lakes where it hasn't been allowed, we are just starting to see catch sizes increasing with more catch and release and higher size limits. The state is also significantly reducing musky stocking in 2013 stating budget issues. We need to protect these lakes and send a strong message to the state politicians and DNR.

2) Green Bay 54" size limit - last time on ballot - hard not to loose faith in the system with us having to get it voted on 4 times, but this is the final one to make it happen. With minimal stocking the fishing has been getting very tough on Green Bay. We need to protect what we have left of it. Most of the fish from the high numbers years of stockings are in the 50" range and need to be protected. We want this to be the best trophy musky water as possible and we all know there are not many of them in Wisconsin.

Here is where the hearings are: http://dnr.wi.gov/about/wcc/Documents/spring_hearing/2013/2013locat...

Here is the question book : http://dnr.wi.gov/about/wcc/Documents/spring_hearing/2013/2013Sprin...

tcbetka
Posted 4/8/2013 12:48 PM (#632777 - in reply to #632756)
Subject: Re: WI Conservation Congress Hearings TONIGHT 7PM

I'm going over to Kewaunee tonight, to the hearing over there. I was there when I re-authored the proposal back in 2008, so I am going back there to speak on it tonight. I know Jay is going to Brown County, and I'm sure there'll be others there as well. So I am going to try to get to a different county.
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/8/2013 2:02 PM (#632792 - in reply to #632756)

Thanks Joe, I'll be in Walworth with a friend tonight.

However, I respectfully disagree that maintaining this trolling ban will help to protect the muskie fishery. If 3 lines is the perceived villain, then it should be addressed separately. It is speculation that some lakes are thought to be doing better because of the trolling ban IMHO, and I'd argue that a more logical reason some banned lakes are doing better is due to higher size limits with an increased local awareness of the benefits of catch & release.
Esox-Hunter
Posted 4/8/2013 3:14 PM (#632803 - in reply to #632756)

I’m in anyone else in Washington County, WI attending? Let me know nice to meet new people.
Johnnie
Posted 4/8/2013 4:25 PM (#632820 - in reply to #632803)

Statewide locations for the meetings tonight. You must be a resident of the county to vote for delegates but can be from anywhere to vote on the questions.

http://dnr.wi.gov/about/wcc/Documents/spring_hearing/2013/2013locat...

Edited by Johnnie 4/8/2013 4:56 PM
Esox1850
Posted 4/8/2013 8:08 PM (#632866 - in reply to #632756)
Subject: RE: WI Conservation Congress Hearings TONIGHT 7PM

Just got back from voting with my wife. Listened to the first few questions of the discussions. The old timers who stood up and asked everyone to vote down the trolling proposal because they "couldn't fathom what the up north lakes would look like with all the trollers" made me chuckle. No one is going to be rushing up north to rape and pillage the lakes trolling.
tcbetka
Posted 4/8/2013 8:38 PM (#632875 - in reply to #632756)

I just got back from the Kewaunee County hearings. No one said a word about the trolling question--or the 54" size limit meeting either. I spoke for 3-4 minutes on the history of the 54" resolution, but then no one else said a word. So either no one had a problem with it, or everyone pretty much had their mind made up either way and had already marked their vote for that one. There were about 45-50 people there, including the CC members and the DNR personnel.
muskie! nut
Posted 4/8/2013 9:57 PM (#632892 - in reply to #632756)

Back from Dane County and it happened again. It looks like we have another PETA type as a delegate. The name is Melissa Smith and she beat out incumbent Matt Rainey for a 2 yr term. Bright side, Al Phalen was able to win reelection over Adam Kassulke for the 3 yr term.

Smith 250
Rainey 217

Phalen 234
Kassulke 196

Trolling question had about 6 speaker against and 1 in favor. Should be real interesting to see how the vote ends up.

We have to do a better job of turn out. Also one resolution questions was having delegate voting on line.

Edited by muskie! nut 4/8/2013 9:59 PM
Posted 4/8/2013 10:01 PM (#632893 - in reply to #632756)
Subject: RE: WI Conservation Congress Hearings TONIGHT 7PM

The entire bleacher section was filled in St Germain. Many, many arguments against the proposed trolling proposal and none for it. 3 alternative resolutions were also voted upon. Almost all tried to address dragging suckers.
jonnysled
Posted 4/8/2013 10:17 PM (#632896 - in reply to #632756)

good night followed by a cold beer knockers pizza and a competitive National Championship game ...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)