Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Casting a Tranx

Message Subject: Casting a Tranx
btfish
Posted 3/26/2013 4:53 AM (#629781)
Subject: Casting a Tranx

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on buying a TranX until a guy cautioned me that the level wind does not go back and forth when you make a cast. He said it really bugs him, can affect his casts, and said he would not buy another one becasue of this.

2 Questions

1. What are your thoughts on this?

2. Is anyone using special line to compensate this??

I think it is a good reel, Thanks
anzomcik
Posted 3/26/2013 5:10 AM (#629783 - in reply to #629781)
Subject: Re: Casting a Tranx

Lets put it this way, if a nondisengaged reel (one that the level wind goes back and forth on the cast) had an advantage over disengaged system (a reel that doesnt have the level wind go back and forth) then bass reels would use a nondisengaging system, but they do not.

It effects the cast no more than having to over come the friction of turning another gear, shaft and two bearing/bushings and moving the level wind guide back and forth.those are the extra parts that need to keep moving with a nondisengaged system. It takes enegry to keep those moving and keeping them cleaned and lubed is also important.

The guy who says he can tell a difference is full of crap. I have owned both and other than seeing the line guide go back and forth ,if i should look down on a cast, there isnt anything difference between the two in terms of casting, NOTHING

Shiminao and Diawa (2 biggest names in casting reels) dont use an nondisengagged system, that should tell you somthing. I mean that in the terms of there isnt an advatange with keeping those extra parts connected.

No special line needed, because it casts the same as every other reel out there.

Its good you asked a question about an area you dont understand, I am sure other will chime in, but when you break it down the differences between the two sytems is nonexistant with respects to casting.

If you want a tranx dont let one persons misinformation stop you, heck if you wanted a reel with nondisengaging level wind I would say the same thing.

esoxfly
Posted 3/26/2013 5:23 AM (#629784 - in reply to #629781)

1. Don't worry about it.
2. Don't worry about it.

It's not an issue as far as my casting has been concerned.
btfish
Posted 3/26/2013 6:14 AM (#629787 - in reply to #629783)

That makes sence.

Thanks
Brad P
Posted 3/26/2013 9:24 AM (#629825 - in reply to #629781)

I haven't found it to be an issue on either the PG or the HG. One thing I noticed on my HG using Masterbraid last year was that I found I would have preferred a much tighter woven line. The masterbraid for whatever reason doesn't get as tight on the spool and I would end up having some issues. I plan to try 832 on this next year, so we'll see what happens. Note this was a relatively minor complaint, overall.
cave run legend
Posted 3/26/2013 10:04 AM (#629843 - in reply to #629781)

I use 832 with my hg and love it. Since your buddy hates his he should sell it to you for cheap.
RStien321
Posted 3/26/2013 10:11 AM (#629845 - in reply to #629781)

Take a look at reels that do not have a disengaging levelwind (700TE and 400TE for example) then take a look at the reels that have a disengaging levelwind (Curado 300, Tranx, 400D). On the Curado and Tranx, you will notice that the level wind is significantly further away from the spool than it is on the 700TE and 400TE. This will help cause a less severe line angle (a good thing as a very severe angle can cause excessive friction). The 400D has a much narrower spool than the 400TE and especially the 700TE, also causing the line angle to less severe (again, a good thing). I have two Tranx and have no worries with the line angle/levelwind being an issue.

Some people purpose the theory that you should use a lighter test line with reels that do not have a non-disengaging levelwind as it lessens the "back and forth" motion of braided line against the levelwind, thus reducing friction. In my opinion this is overhyped, even with the Curado 300 - though I wouldn't use line over 80lb anyway as I don't think the reel has the capacity to maitain good retrieve speed with 100lb line (I also do think the titanium levelwind upgrade was nice going from the D to the E). These reels are built to take the punishment we dish out.
dfkiii
Posted 3/27/2013 11:08 AM (#630120 - in reply to #629781)

I have both types of reels (TEs and Curado 300e) and the difference doesn't bother me either way. One thing that I tend to do with the Curado is to try to leave the levelwind near the spool center at the end of the retrieve / prior to the cast. This aids in reducing the angle and thus friction as mentioned in the post above. I've also found that centering the levelwind prior to casting has reduced the incidence of backlash. It may be just a coincidence, but it's just something I do...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)