Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Teaser: potential new electronics set up

Message Subject: Teaser: potential new electronics set up
bturg
Posted 4/3/2013 8:54 AM (#631564)
Subject: Teaser: potential new electronics set up

IMAGINE:

A smartphone/tablet based modular fishing electronics system. The ability to download maps and weather info at will, display sonar, gps and streaming radar for the incoming storm all on the same screen...move your waypoints and maps to your buddy's boat as easily as plugging in your phone...access the internet from a touchscreen display on your dash, bow or third display screen. Skype your buddy while he's at work (and your fishing)! Watch the big game or listen to the radio while you fish, add another large flat panel screen for only the cost of a screen in a new modular/pay for what you need format. Hook up a power cord and enable it with Bluetooth...no more wires, no more big holes to cut, unplug your screens and take them with you (easily) for better security.

This is just a partial list of the potential advantages.

Backround: a couple years ago I started working with a few engineers on the possibilities of this type of system. We just got our patent claims allowed for the Architecture of a system based on this concept. There is still a lot of work to do to get it to market but there is a good chance it will become a reality.

It could be a game changer...less expensive, easy to use, install and update and very customizable for each persons individual preferences.
Hammskie
Posted 4/3/2013 9:15 AM (#631566 - in reply to #631564)
Subject: RE: Teaser: potential new electronics set up

So I'm not the only one that has dreamed of this reality: Running my entire boat off 2 iPads with Navionics apps running alongside sonar apps, attached to bluetooth sonar transducers, showing all my data on the "stunning Retina display". All for the price of a Lowrance HDS7.

Thanks for sharing, Bob.
scmuskies
Posted 4/3/2013 9:28 AM (#631567 - in reply to #631564)

The add screens as you go option would be huge! Especially if waterproof! Currently, could be done w/ Humminbrids but the price for waterproof LCD's is absurd.

Ben Olsen
Posted 4/3/2013 9:38 AM (#631569 - in reply to #631564)
Subject: Re: Teaser: potential new electronics set up

You tease Bob!!! If you're looking for pro staff, testing, etc...lemme know!
P.S. Don't forget Siri-style voice control of TM and power pole!

Edited by Ben Olsen 4/3/2013 9:40 AM
jpbad996
Posted 4/3/2013 9:59 AM (#631575 - in reply to #631564)

Bob -
Cool stuff! While you are on this wireless endeavor, has there been any talk of trying to display engine readouts too? Obviously you would need the engine manufacturers to play along, but would be nice.

Joe
jfreborg
Posted 4/3/2013 10:26 AM (#631585 - in reply to #631575)

Awesome. Cloud based GPS mapping and real time waypoint updates accessed via a log-in rather than a head unit or map chip is a logical progression. I have been pipe dreaming of a log-in controlled "google earth" style mapping but with lake contours and waypoints for anywhere a guy chooses to go ever since google earth came out. I never understood why it wasn't or couldn't be a reality. It's good to know it is in development now. Big time kudos to you for making it happen, I'd be buying round one. I vote expediting the fishing specific applications and roll out the extras later in an effort to shorten the time to market.
Ja Rule
Posted 4/3/2013 10:52 AM (#631598 - in reply to #631564)

Awesome concept Bob! I have long thought the cost for the high dollar sonars was WAY out of wack. Especially when we have devises like Ipads, laptops, and smart phones that can perform hundreds of more functions than sonars for a fraction of the cost. I know there's way more that goes into than that, but it still is a bit outrageous. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with.
mahnkal
Posted 4/3/2013 11:03 AM (#631602 - in reply to #631564)

I work for a apple retailer in Madison WI, so if you need any ipads or waterproof cases, im sure we could workout a deal!
mseybert
Posted 4/3/2013 8:13 PM (#631738 - in reply to #631564)

Been waiting a long time for this. My buddies and I have discussed this many times. I anxiously await the arrival.
horsehunter
Posted 4/3/2013 9:00 PM (#631747 - in reply to #631564)

You'll need a better data plan then I have
Muskiemetal
Posted 4/3/2013 9:45 PM (#631759 - in reply to #631564)

Devil's Advocate here a little: Great idea, long time coming, but I would think that the two big dogs in electronics are probably close to having this a reality in boats. I already can get weather, radar, XM on my Gen1 HDS Lowrance system in the boat. I have all of them networked so each locator shares waypoints and transducer information. Next step would be to get a 4G module, the next gen of HDS (seems like that is the direction Lowrance is heading with this touch screen) and I'll have internet on the boat. I already can sync my waypoints from my desktop to my iPad, Galaxy, and iPhone with Navionics, I bet that this new Lowrance or Humminbird will have "apps" as well to download maps and information. Just seems like the next progression that they are working towards.
jchiggins
Posted 4/3/2013 11:16 PM (#631771 - in reply to #631564)

figured its just a matter of time. Weve talked about it at work just jokingly. figured some eighth grade computer geek would figure it out. sounds awesome. im always about five years behind anyways, when it comes to electronics. But I can relate to smart phones.

Edited by jchiggins 4/3/2013 11:17 PM
Pikopath
Posted 4/4/2013 2:28 AM (#631779 - in reply to #631564)

Im already in the making of a map app for android. Here in norway there are no depthmaps (electronically) for our lakes. So years ago I decided to start to make my own, for my own fishing hotspots. Last year a colleague and I started to program an app that can show these data, on your android device. There will not be any sonar, only depth/contour maps and speed.
Pair it with one of these: http://buydeeper.com/deeper and you have a full unit...

Michael
bturg
Posted 4/4/2013 4:34 PM (#631956 - in reply to #631564)

One of the keys in our set-up is the less is more aspect. Most of use a fraction of what our units are capable of. The ability to use a smart device to enhance the system makes your system essentially portable in some sense. By making a modular sytem you can pick and choose what periferals you have and how they play together. The key is "a little black box" that your sonar and other sensors tie into and that translates that data into a dialoge that screens and other periferals can translate to us. The smart device ties into the black box as well enhancing the capabilities with additional computing power and access to way more data that can only be accessed thru the net. You could add cell capability to existing systems but that means more data and voice plans, less portability etc. Certainly there is room to add this existing systems as well....
Junkman
Posted 4/4/2013 6:57 PM (#631984 - in reply to #631956)

I was at my Ranger dealer yesterday telling them of my excitement to try the new link between the Bird, I-Pilot and Lakemaster chip in this year's boat, and the salesman said, "Hey Marty, take a look at this 621 that's going to Minnesota." In addition to the new 360 unit the boat also had two "smart" downrigger units that are also linked to the Bird and the Chip. As you troll across the lake the units "automatically" lift and lower the baits to maintain absolute depth with the changing bottom. My plan as I see this developing with Bob's stuff is that I will keep the I-phone in the tavern with me, send the boat out by itself, catch-photo-and release my fish remotely without ever leaving my stool. Then I will immediately upload the photos to the musky sites where I will be accused of having the machine hold the fish out too close to the camera in order to magnify its size aganst the pilotless boat. This is GREAT!
esoxlazer
Posted 4/4/2013 7:23 PM (#631990 - in reply to #631564)

Heck, I'm excited to try out my iPad with Navionics this year, but what you're talking about sounds amazing. I've got a Waterproof case and put ram mounts and chargers at the front and back of the boat so I can move the iPad from front to back easily. I'm sure some of you have tried this...anyone have any tips for things I'm not thinking about? Tracking and waypoints are going to be more difficult, but it'll be nice to have a large screen with a minimal investment.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 4/4/2013 7:47 PM (#631994 - in reply to #631564)

Maybe the wireless carriers will make a fisherman's package, that includes unlimited GPS data?
Brad P
Posted 4/5/2013 8:34 AM (#632063 - in reply to #631564)

a feature I would really like is for the unit to have hte ability to update information once it is obstained. For example, why not allwo the unit to remember bottom harndess readings? I know there are aftermarket products, like Dr. Depth, that do this, but why not just have itself contained in the system itself? Actually, I'd like to see the Dr. Depth ideas incorporated into a unit, so when I fish a lake that isn't trawled I can trawl it myself and have my own map within a few hours.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)