Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Luna Brake Adjustment

Message Subject: Luna Brake Adjustment
Rookie1
Posted 3/24/2013 7:34 PM (#629457)
Subject: Luna Brake Adjustment

I'm going to start Musky fishing this season. I've narrowed my reel selection down to the following: Luna, Calcutta, Toro. I know they all have spool tension adjustment knobs. My question is do they have a separate brake adjustment of some sort? If so, does one have to remove the end plate to make those adjustments? Or can those adjustments be made without removing the end plate?

Any guidance you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
Lundbob
Posted 3/24/2013 8:52 PM (#629479 - in reply to #629457)
Subject: RE: Luna Brake Adjustment

The Luna does have a tension adjustment inside the end cap. Just untwist the cap and you make the adjustment more or less tension. Pretty easy. I have 3 St. Croix Avids, which is the same reel as the Luna, and 1 Daiwa Luna. I've beaten them up for 5+ years and as long as you keep up with your normal maintenance they are excellent reels.
Schuler
Posted 3/25/2013 7:21 PM (#629711 - in reply to #629457)
Subject: Re: Luna Brake Adjustment

The Luna 250 will have external adjustment, whereas the 300 requires taking the side plate off. The smaller reels use a magnetic system and the larger ones are centrifugal. I have a couple Millionaire CVX-253a's that are an older and less refined version of the Luna. They are 11 years old and still going strong.

Calcutta and Toro will have a centrifugal brake system with pins that snap in and out to slow the spool down. The Toro sideplate comes off from loosening 1 screw. The calcutta B requires removing the spool. I'm not sure on the TE or D.
Propster
Posted 3/25/2013 8:54 PM (#629731 - in reply to #629457)
Subject: Re: Luna Brake Adjustment

On the D you have to pull the spool out the drive side in order to get at the brakes. Perhaps the most difficult of the reels mentioned here. I wouldn't let that stop you. A person that is comfortable dissecting reels can do it in a few minutes. The TE is actually quite easy. Just loosen the hand-tightened finger screw on the drive side and the side plate on the other side swings away (still attached) allowing quick access to the brake weights.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)