Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> gopro hero3

Message Subject: gopro hero3
SeanL
Posted 3/7/2013 11:58 AM (#623797 - in reply to #623730)
Subject: Re: gopro hero3

(Disclaimer: I have not used the VIO.) The VIO has some nice features, but the final product is not that compelling, especially for $500 and when you compare it to the GoPro. While the price after accessories and other odds and ends might approach $500 for a GoPro, you get a lot more versatility. Not that impressed with the quality of the muskie footage on VIO's website (the catches themselves are impressive and the action is good, but the image quality is mediocre). The walleye video was not shot with a VIO (a small fraction of the footage was it seems), unless the VIO has a zoom lens I'm not aware of. In terms of versatility, the GoPro can double as a pretty high quality stills camera (can provide sample images if wanted). You can shoot some great time lapses with the GoPro, too.

In the end, it probably depends on what you want to do with the camera and how much you desire to be creative. If you strictly want to shoot video, either camera will yield satisfactory results. If you want a video camera AND a stills camera or a camera capable of shooting stills-based time lapses then the GoPro is for you. If VIO offered 1080p/60fps then the $500 price tag would be well justified over the GoPro strictly for video, but they don't...
sworrall
Posted 3/7/2013 12:05 PM (#623801 - in reply to #623681)
Subject: RE: gopro hero3

SeanL;
Read the below review, your post was inaccurate. Look at the actual current pricing, too please.

More importantly, (walleye footage as you posted it) the Holst review on the VIO site SHOWS how they INCORPORATE the POV video into their TV footage and describes why they like the camera. Wacth that piece again and listen to what they are saying for a better understanding of that testimonial.

The V.I.O. is on sale right now at $399.00. One would need to compare this with the Hero3 if you look at all the specs.

Expect the current pricing to last awhile. OFM might be able to beat that if you are going to shoot and edit lots of Muskie content this year, more on that very soon.

Be aware also that V.I.O. POV was purchased a few months ago by the same company that builds MarCum, based out of the Twin Cities. It will be great for the brand, and even better for the future of the brand.

Wisconsin Playground - 3/7/2013 12:40 AM

The Quality was not the greatest because the VIO POV is not that good. The video you saw was posted by the company themselves.

You can post all the technical specs and features the VIO POV has steve but the proof of the quality of video is in the final product. The GoPros default FPS and quality is without a doubt much better than the VIO POV. You don't have to worry about any nerdy wires going down your back or crushing the base in your pocket. Less shake too and the far distance quality seems to be much better also.

Check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4PRQypgLJs

Just like anything you need to practice with the equipment to get the best out of it. The GoPro is an actual hand held camera, fully waterproof, and far more practical for a fisherman. The average guy is not going to get the best or average production value out of it as easy or as quick out of the VIO POV as they would a GoPro. Not everyone is a specifications expert such as yourself Steve. The whole point is to catch fish while you are on the water.

--
I checked out the link. The video you linked was badly pixelated and very highly compressed, undoubtedly because of the editing software. What were you trying to say there? It is common for folks to use free, onboard editing programs because that's what they have and they are not trying to produce a masterpiece that can be snapped to a 50" TV with perfect clarity. the end product is not representative of the capacity of the camera in either case.

The V.I.O. video is unexcelled; I tried them all. Sure, the Hero3 offers very similar video quality; that's all in the glass and both offer a fairly advanced lens for a POV camera.

It's up to the editor to use the correct codec when rendering and publish the video in the highest resolution; IF that's the goal. In most cases on the web it isn't. 720p is PLENTY on the web.

The average guy most certainly will get 'the best or average production value out of it as easy or as quick out of the VIO POV as they would a GoPro', that's just silly to say anyone wouldn't. The VIO settings are very easy to access on the on board lcd screen, the filed of view at 1080 is 142 degrees, and the camera is very comfortable to wear and easy to use. No plastic case effecting audio and video quality in the rain, multiple microphone options, and options for recording that make editing easy and quick and prolongs the actual useable video recording capacity of the SDHC card. Plus, the POV runs on rechargeable AA batteries, easy to buy, easy to carry, and fast to charge at less than 15 minutes. A class 10 sdhc card instead of micro sd. We've had some issues with the micro cards, never have with an sdhc.

You obviously have not used a POV HD.

Obviously the point is to catch fish. It's also to record the experience, and my experience has shown the VIO to be the best unit out there for what OFM does, especially in bad weather. Buy what you want; I'm just offering up what the VIO will do for consideration.

Here's why we use this camera, from a review:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The POV.HD's camera features an ultrawide-angle six-element glass lens that captures a 142-degree field of vision when recording at 1,080p and crops to 95 degrees at 720p. When in 1,080p, frames are captured at 30 frames per second while 720p captures are at 60fps--great for post-production slow motion. There are also 720p capture modes at 25fps and 50fps for better compatibility with the camera's PAL capture mode. The camera is permanently connected to one end of an approximately 4-foot cable with a screw-on connection at the other for attaching the POV.HD recorder.

The second part of the package is the POV.HD recorder with LCD. The recorder is powered by four AA batteries and features a 2.5-inch full-color LCD that can be used to line up the camera, play back recorded video, and for basic video editing, features that the GoPro doesn't offer and the Contour requires additional hardware for. We use a variety of sports cameras like this to record the on-the-road segment of the Car Tech Live podcast, and let me tell you, it's great to be able to frame shots and check out the footage from the side of the road, rather than getting all the way back to the office to find that we've spent the last few hours recording with the lens improperly angled.Interface and video capture

The unit features four capture modes. Still photo does exactly what it sounds like: captures a single photograph in JPEG format with each tap of the record button. Clip mode starts recording video in MOV or MP4 format (user-selectable) and stops when the button is tapped again. You can tap the Tag button on the recorder or the wireless remote to mark interesting points in the video to access later using video-editing software or by using the Compile Tagged Scenes function to create a highlight reel right on the device itself. Loop and Loop-Forward modes operate a bit differently. These modes continuously capture a loop of video of a selected length. When you hit the Tag button, the current loop of video is saved. This way, you can grab an event after it happened, provided you've had the foresight to select the loop mode to begin with. Loop-forward operates similarly, but continues to record beyond the currently captured loop once the tag button has been pressed, combining the best of the Loop and Clip modes.

With menu options you can control the resolution and frame rate of captured video, the format in which video is captured, and power management options like autoshutdown and screen timeout. There are options for light-metering mode (full frame or spot), exposure compensation, noise filtering, and image sharpening to enable you to fine-tune captures in-camera. There's also a key-lock feature that can be enabled to prevent accidental button presses while recording, while still leaving the wireless remote accessible.

We've mentioned the remote twice now; let's look at it in detail. The RF remote measures approximately 2 inches wide by 1.5 inches tall by 0.5 inch thick and features two buttons, Stop and Record; the Record button serves double duty for tagging clips. The remote is water-resistant and dustproof and has two small loops at either end to allow it to be wrist-mounted or strapped to an anchor.

Getting back to the POV.HD's recorder, the top of the unit holds a socket for plugging in the camera cable, on the front are the waterproof and dustproof control buttons, and at the base of the device is a hatch covering the SDHC card slot. The unit ships with a 4GB card, but accepts up to a 32GB one. The included 4GB card will hold about 1 hour of video and the included alkaline batteries will keep the unit recording for up to 2.5 hours. Under the bottom hatch, you'll also find a microphone input, a video output, and a Mini-USB port for transferring files. Using the microphone jack while recording requires that the device operate without its cover in place, so it will temporarily lose its waterproof and dustproof rating.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 'drawbacks' we have found were the need for better instruction on the multiple mounts sent with the camera. Nothing that's all THAT difficult to figure out, and a ton of aftermarket mounts are available. The rest of the operation of a V.I.O. is easy for anyone to understand

'Practicality' for us is based on full function including audio top quality video, and the lcd preview and function screen... under all weather conditions and under all power requirements, especially in the field.

As I said, I used them all, even buying several brands from overseas that have options the Go Pro doesn't, and ended up going back to the V.I.O. for exactly that...practicality and quality. The 30fps at 1080 is more than we need for production for the web. If we were looking at TV production (most folks are not), that still would do the job, and the lens is the best you can buy.

I will shoot some 1080 video this week and post it in high definition.

Someone please tell me what codec they are using for rendering 1080 for web at 60 fps.

The VIO offers 720at 60fps, which is what we use most of the time. If we want a TV quality shoot, we use a production camera.

No need to be rude, by the way. I don't understand why people think that saying something rude will strengthen their position.

I liked the Go Pro style units we have for what they are and what they do, and we'll keep one Gaoki for a net camera mount.
Marc Reynolds
Posted 3/7/2013 12:49 PM (#623833 - in reply to #605201)

Yes, it would be nice to see some HD video shot with the VIO. Overall I think the GoPro videos I've seen are much better quality then VIO.
SeanL
Posted 3/7/2013 12:58 PM (#623836 - in reply to #605201)

Steve, you certainly make a compelling case for the VIO (wish I had a spare $400 to see for myself!). I would agree that the video quality will only be as good as the final editing; definition and frame rate will help little if the footage is edited poorly. Sort of peculiar that VIO wouldn't upload well-edited footage onto their site, particularly when GoPro's promotional videos are of such high quality. It appears the VIO can take stills while recording video, which is definitely a plus, although I would need to see samples for myself to judge the quality.

Looks like people use the h.264/AVC codec for rendering 1080p 60 files for web use.
sworrall
Posted 3/7/2013 1:19 PM (#623846 - in reply to #623836)

Some do and some don't. If you use that codec and render to 1080, the resulting file output for much of what muskie guys shoot would be VERY large-- in the area of over 2 gig or more-- would in practice actually eliminate to option to upload to many sites, and would take a very long time for most folks with an average upload speed unless....you adjust the bit rate accordingly. See video below.

I am using Adobe Premier CS6 on my production machine, Power Director 11 on my desktop, and FCP on my Mac.

The new VIO website is a work in progress, and new video will be available as it's shot; they are activley seeking exactly that. The video Chris shot is actually very nice, the compression for that web player wasn't kind to the end product unless you play it only in the window it is displayed in onsite.

Also, please read the following, it will probably change your mind as to what 'definintion' and frame rates actually accomplish in a finished product. 30fps is generally speaking 'better'.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/video-frame-rates-2...

This is a great video that goes into bit rate, pretty important and not addressed anywhere near enough.
Apex
Posted 3/9/2013 12:10 AM (#624426 - in reply to #623730)

Been using this prduct for 4 years and now using a hero 3 black edition. Total actual RECORD time WITH a battery back pack and a 64 g chip is 4 1/2 to 5 hr run time (depending on your shooting resolution). Their update has been in effect since early January to solve all their issues. Have had no problem with mine since updating and using the right micro SD card. These cameras have ALOT of options so take your time to go through them and to get them to work to your liking.
Team Rhino
Posted 3/9/2013 4:12 PM (#624615 - in reply to #605201)

Where is the best place to purchase a VIO is someone wanted to?
rjhyland
Posted 3/10/2013 12:18 AM (#624729 - in reply to #605201)

I have been looking too Rhino and the VIO webpage has a hundy dollars off right now that puts it right with the Gopro "Crack".
Worrell did say "Expect the current pricing to last awhile. OFM might be able to beat that if you are going to shoot and edit lots of Muskie content this year, more on that very soon."

That's probably your best bet.

Ron
Allen
Posted 3/10/2013 4:31 PM (#624881 - in reply to #624729)

Something I've always found about this web site is that it's EDUCATIONAL !
No matter if the posts/threads are about fishing, cameras or the environment.

The threads of Steve S and Sean L have really been a learning experience and enjoyable to read. They show that we don't necessarily have to fully agree on things, and we can learn from different points/ideas etc.,

I know posting things can take time depending on one's typing speed, so thanks for taking whatever time you have spent.

I know more now than when I awoke this morning. Thanks for that.

One of these days I'll buy one of these cameras. Therefore, I want to be as informed as possible.

Al,
rjhyland
Posted 3/12/2013 6:29 PM (#625756 - in reply to #605201)

The current pricing of $399 ended today and the $100 dollar rebate is gone. I emailed them to see if they would honor that special until Friday. I'll see what they say and I hope they don't respond with we will have similar offers in the future.

Ron
Team Rhino
Posted 3/14/2013 9:11 PM (#626633 - in reply to #605201)

Steve any details on the VIO if you plan to shoot a bunch of musky footage?
sworrall
Posted 3/15/2013 8:11 AM (#626723 - in reply to #626633)

Yes sir, PM me and I'll get you set up.
rjhyland
Posted 3/15/2013 11:02 AM (#626785 - in reply to #605201)

Great guys at VIO. I spoke with Jon and they honored the 20% discout for another week. I just placed my order for the HD and am STOKED!
Good day.
Ron
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)