Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Rubber Reel

Message Subject: Rubber Reel
MuskieFever
Posted 2/23/2013 11:08 PM (#620058)
Subject: Rubber Reel

Looking for thoughts and suggestions on a good reel for rubber; mostly tubes, medussas, and dawgs. I'm going between the nacl and calcutta d currently but i'm open to anything. I'm curious as to what people think about a low profile reel for rubber situations. Does gear ratio and line pick up play a big factor in rubber? Thanks.
MuskieFever
Posted 2/24/2013 7:56 PM (#620245 - in reply to #620058)
Subject: Re: Rubber Reel

Anyone?
muskyhunter47
Posted 2/24/2013 8:02 PM (#620247 - in reply to #620058)

buy a hg tranx great reel
Riverrat351
Posted 2/24/2013 8:05 PM (#620248 - in reply to #620245)

You're going to get a variety of answers on this, but I like my revo toro 60hs. It's got good line pickup and is an all around great reel. Works good for rippin rubber and picking up the slack. With that said, there are others that may be better.
MuskieFever
Posted 2/24/2013 8:08 PM (#620250 - in reply to #620248)

Riverrat351 - 2/24/2013 8:05 PM

You're going to get a variety of answers on this, but I like my revo toro 60hs. It's got good line pickup and is an all around great reel. Works good for rippin rubber and picking up the slack. With that said, there are others that may be better.

If I buy a nacl, it will be my first low pro reel for muskies. Basically I'm double checking if they perform well ripping rubber and you gave me a good answer. Thanks that helps quite a bit!
Rudedog
Posted 2/24/2013 8:09 PM (#620251 - in reply to #620245)

I use a Calcutta 400B for most Dawg and rubber tossin, love em, have used them for several years. I know alot of people say high gear ratio w/lots of line pick up may be better, (pick up slack when jerkin) but I find I work dawgs too fast with a high speed reel. I think my Calcutta B's pick up 25" a crank. I havn't used a low profile reel for big rubber but know alot of people use and like the Revo Toro's.
-Jon
Farmer Rick
Posted 2/24/2013 8:14 PM (#620254 - in reply to #620058)

I have been using a Toro with the 5.4 gears and find it a little on the slow side for picking up slack. My buddy uses the high speed and loves it. I was also going to get the nacl but couldn't find it in the high speed left handed version so I bought the new calcutta 301d with the faster gears. Spooled with 80lb power pro, threw a few casts the other day on the snow. Casts nice and capacity seemed to be fine with the narrow spool. Will have to wait for open water to really feel the retrive speed and power. It is actually really comfortable to palm despite the height, the offset style of the reel is going to be a really good selling point. If I reeled with my right hand I probably would have bought the nacl but so far I'm glad I got the D. I really won't know until after the next season how much I really like it...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)