Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Deep trolling spinnerbaits

Message Subject: Deep trolling spinnerbaits
Old Guy
Posted 1/3/2013 7:10 PM (#607286)
Subject: Deep trolling spinnerbaits

Spinnerbait trolling...an excellent technique which can be used even in relatively deep water.
I am interested in trying this method with ln-line weights...around 10+ ounces as needed to get spinnerbaits down very deep when trolling...25ft or so.
Wondering if anyone has been doing submerged reef crashing or open water deep trolling with this sort of a set up with any success.
Muskie Treats
Posted 1/4/2013 8:24 AM (#607366 - in reply to #607286)
Subject: Re: Deep trolling spinnerbaits

Most people don't troll that deep as it's very hard on the fish bringing them up from that kind of depth.
ToddM
Posted 1/4/2013 9:32 AM (#607387 - in reply to #607286)

I seen an episode on the next bite where they were deep trolling spinnerbaits for walleye with lead core. It got me thinking, a rareity for me to see if it would work for muskies, getting a spinnetbait down 10ft or so in and around treetops.
jdsplasher
Posted 1/4/2013 5:21 PM (#607525 - in reply to #607387)

One of the reasons why I started making my own large, heavy spinnerbaits. 5 - 8 oz. No inline weights needed here. Why make trolling difficult if you can just have the weight in the head.

Not only can you run them deep, but can run some serious speed, in the shallower depths, + a leverage free treble incorporated in this heavy weight, just makes good sense...:o

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_0433.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0433.jpg (101KB - 271 downloads)
2roofmusky
Posted 1/11/2013 3:41 PM (#609119 - in reply to #607525)

Use a downrigger to achieve the desired depth......
Old Guy
Posted 1/11/2013 6:06 PM (#609148 - in reply to #607286)
Subject: RE: Deep trolling spinnerbaits

I am very grateful for the replies.
My main concern now is how effective folks found deep trolling spinnerbaits to be vs other deep presentations (crankbaits etc) and whether crashing into the rocks was a useful method as well.
curleytail
Posted 1/11/2013 9:33 PM (#609182 - in reply to #607286)

I've never done it but I think the Trainwreck spinnerbaits (not made anymore I don't think) did a lot of video trolling with downrigger balls. Seems like I remember the guy that made them saying crashing rocks with the downrigger ball triggered a lot of following fish into biters.
jdsplasher
Posted 1/12/2013 6:43 AM (#609206 - in reply to #609148)

Old guy; Any contact with rocks, weeds,wood, ECT. is huge while trolling. That is why speed and depth control is monument while trolling.

Is trolling spinners more effective than other baits?  Sometimes yes, Sometimes no. That is why we fish. Figure that out by time on the water. Deep trolling spinnerbaits is just another good presentation when there is much fishing pressure that the average Joe and others are not doing,  and just another presentation to fool these critters.

JD

Yvon
Posted 1/12/2013 7:38 AM (#609211 - in reply to #607286)

can also be used as a spinner bait teaser by using a 3-way rings and a crankbait
small spinnerbait is ok for this technique
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)