Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Cedar Lake, Ontario Map

Message Subject: Cedar Lake, Ontario Map
wkeegobbler
Posted 10/17/2012 10:57 AM (#591494)
Subject: Cedar Lake, Ontario Map

Will be heading to Cedar Lake near Perrault Falls next summer and was wondering if there is a lake map available or a navionics chip available for this lake that would be worth purchasing?
Thanks!
wkeegobbler
Posted 10/21/2012 6:29 PM (#592318 - in reply to #591494)
Subject: RE: Cedar Lake, Ontario Map

134 views......does this mean there aren't any good lake maps out there???
CU301DSV
Posted 10/21/2012 7:03 PM (#592326 - in reply to #592318)

Try this?

http://www.navionics.com
Pointerpride102
Posted 10/21/2012 8:36 PM (#592350 - in reply to #591494)
Subject: Re: Cedar Lake, Ontario Map

I had one when I was up there. Don't remember where we got it though. It wasn't all that helpful. I mainly used the Ontario garmin chip in my Oregon 550t.

Hope you do better than we did. It sucked when we were there.
Booch
Posted 10/22/2012 1:58 PM (#592473 - in reply to #591494)

I've been up there 3 times (at Jerry and Ellies), and used Garmin's Topography software on my Garmin handheld. It worked just fine. You don't get depth contours, but the shorelines were nearly perfect, including islands. I did look briefly for a "lake" version (such as Inland Lakes), but nobody would show me a sample so I didn't spend the $100.

But, it's such a small lake and there are no "open water, under water" hazards to worry about, you don't really need much. Not sure I even looked at my map the 2nd or 3rd trip up there.

Muskies there are stubborn, but plentiful. Several hogs, too. Pike are nearly non-existent. Smallies are easy. Make sure you visit Hatfield Bay on a calm, sunny day. Muskies sun-bathing is a sight to see. Good luck catching them, though. But, a flipped jig tipped with jerky did boat a small one! Is that legal? lol.

I have a love-hate relationship with that lake.

Edited by Booch 10/22/2012 1:59 PM
Pointerpride102
Posted 10/22/2012 4:01 PM (#592504 - in reply to #592473)

Booch - 10/22/2012 12:58 PM

I've been up there 3 times (at Jerry and Ellies), and used Garmin's Topography software on my Garmin handheld. It worked just fine. You don't get depth contours, but the shorelines were nearly perfect, including islands. I did look briefly for a "lake" version (such as Inland Lakes), but nobody would show me a sample so I didn't spend the $100.

But, it's such a small lake and there are no "open water, under water" hazards to worry about, you don't really need much. Not sure I even looked at my map the 2nd or 3rd trip up there.

Muskies there are stubborn, but plentiful. Several hogs, too. Pike are nearly non-existent. Smallies are easy. Make sure you visit Hatfield Bay on a calm, sunny day. Muskies sun-bathing is a sight to see. Good luck catching them, though. But, a flipped jig tipped with jerky did boat a small one! Is that legal? lol.

I have a love-hate relationship with that lake.

In my opinion the $100 chip was worth it. Has a good amount of waters in Ontario on it, Garmin should have a list. Worked great for me, had contour lines and all, but like you said it isn't a necessity on Cedar.

Was disappointed in the lack of pike on any of the waters connected to it as well. But we had huge algae blooms throughout all of the waters we were on when we were there. The whole camp struggled.
Booch
Posted 10/23/2012 12:03 PM (#592761 - in reply to #591494)

I've been to Perrault, too. It was a trip planned by a friend years ago, based on the best sales pitch at a Sports Show. Apparently he missed the word "walleye" in the "Perrault offers excellent.. ..fishing" pitch! Perrault is a big deep bowl. The chute heading up there is worth a scenic ride, though.
Pointerpride102
Posted 10/23/2012 1:30 PM (#592796 - in reply to #592761)

Booch - 10/23/2012 11:03 AM

I've been to Perrault, too. It was a trip planned by a friend years ago, based on the best sales pitch at a Sports Show. Apparently he missed the word "walleye" in the "Perrault offers excellent.. ..fishing" pitch! Perrault is a big deep bowl. The chute heading up there is worth a scenic ride, though.

Thats about what we experienced. I wish we would have drove the short distance further to Wabaskang. We did well there the couple of times we went there.
dougj
Posted 10/23/2012 5:31 PM (#592858 - in reply to #591494)

I've only been there one time. We stayed at Jerry and Ellies, and they sent a lake map to us. It was pretty basic, but it was adequate for the lake. The local resorts had most of the hazards marked with a helix jug, and that's pretty much what we fished. We saw a good number of fish including some nice ones, but they where hard to fool. We where there in mid September. Nice little lake you will enjoy it.

Doug Johnson

Edited by dougj 10/23/2012 5:35 PM
PGreg
Posted 10/24/2012 11:21 AM (#593083 - in reply to #592858)

Ditto on starying at Jerry and Ellies. Reasonable Cost and clean. Gone there for five summer trips in a row with a group from KY that had been going there for years. We always went the 2nd weekend of September for a week. I'll tell you what I learned. The lake is tough to fish if you have no experience on it. I mean there are a lot of good looking text book spots on the lake map that are unproductive. Before you know it, you've run out of time on your trip without much success. Find a guide if you are real serious, I was fortunate to have others with much more time on the water to put me on the spots. Weeds are your friend with black and silver mepps musky killer being the bait of my choice there.
wkeegobbler
Posted 10/24/2012 6:49 PM (#593262 - in reply to #593083)

I appreciate the replies. We are staying on the southern shore of the west side at Northern Lights Resort. Sounds like a navionics chip will be more than adequate and I did find some general maps on other resort sites on the lake.

SteveHulbert
Posted 10/26/2012 8:12 AM (#593693 - in reply to #593262)

I agree that a really good lake map or chip isn't really needed. There's really no danger out there.

And I agree that there are some nice big fish in there, but the bite was tough.

But I disagree about the Pike comments. We came in contact with a bazillion pike and there was a family up there pike fishing the week we were there and they were slaughtering them. They might not hit typical musky lures, but if you throw bass sized spinnerbaits, etc....you can't keep them off.

My brother Tom and I went there back in 2002 or 2003 maybe. We caught one decent fish. I think it was 51.5". Real fat. It saved our trip.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Cedar.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Cedar.jpg (6KB - 269 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)