Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Kinkaid Advice?

Message Subject: Kinkaid Advice?
Missouri Wayne
Posted 10/10/2011 5:52 PM (#520070)
Subject: Kinkaid Advice?

Going to be taking a gentleman fishing on Wednesday at Kinkaid. This is his one and only muskie trip of the year and I would like to be sure to put him on a fish. Doesn't have to be large, a mid 30's would make him happy.

Any advice regarding lures and/or locations?

Thanks

Farmer Rick
Posted 10/10/2011 8:39 PM (#520098 - in reply to #520070)
Subject: RE: Kinkaid Advice?

Mo Wayne,

Kinkiad is a fairly moody fishery, It will either be easy or you will see nothing. The good thing is that fall is usually a very good time down there. I wish I could go with you but I'm Kinda busy...

I would start out on the main lake weed points with depthraiders, Twitching 10" Jakes, and Rolling spinnerbaits down the weed edges. I would head south towards the dam in the main body. If nothing then head towards north end. If the weeds are not going try the timber. Spinners and cranks in there, try shore lines then try creek channels in the coves. Thompson's Neck always has fish in it and some good ones too. The neck down going into the no wake zone is a natural funnel there will be no current right now because we have not had much rain as of late. Trolling is a great option too. Jakes, Kraves, and Kriscos, Get the nod and always be running one in Fire tiger... Clarity should be good but dont be suprised of water is still in the 70's.

Good luck

Rick
Andrew Veach
Posted 10/11/2011 4:48 PM (#520209 - in reply to #520070)

Was on Kinkiad all last week. I would fish shallow throw spinner baits like schooling shads and hatchet shads. Also toss small minnow baits. You will catch fish. Stay in the water treatment area and fish up near Alan Island Dunn House and Sharp Rock. I did see a few fish caught trolling up in no wake zone as well.As the sun comes up I would fish the main lake flats and point like the other guy said and you should catch a few fish.
Andrew Veach
Veachfishing.com
Posted 7/9/2012 12:16 PM (#569912 - in reply to #520070)

I am going to Kinkaid in early October. Booked a trip with Chad Cain. I have never caught a muskie. What types/colors/sizes of lures should I purchase before I go? I know the hot colors/lures changes by the hour, but does anyone have a general Kinkaid-in-October recommendation? Thanks for all your help; this website is very informative to the newcomers to this sport (addiction?).
CASTING55
Posted 7/9/2012 1:29 PM (#569932 - in reply to #569912)

Are you only fishing with chad or bring your boat also,if only with chad use his lures since he will know what's working at that time
Posted 7/9/2012 1:37 PM (#569934 - in reply to #520070)

I'm fishing with Chad in his boat. I just thought it would be cool to catch one on my own lure.
AFChief
Posted 7/9/2012 2:05 PM (#569943 - in reply to #569934)

Some suggestions based on past experience. Large Crank Baits and Jerk baits are great options this time of year:

Cranks:
10" Grandma's or Jakes
Believers
Big Games
Cranes
Deep and Shallow Raiders
Double or Triple D's

Jerk Baits:
Hell Hounds
Suicks
Phantoms
Jerkos or similiar

Colors: White, or natural patterns such as Shad or cisco and fire tiger or any baits with orange, green or chartrues seem to go well. Fish are also taken on large safety pin spinners such as Simm's Schoolin shad. Kinkaid is known as a crank bait lake. Chad Cain should be able to tell you what to bring if you want to fish with your own lures.

Jerry

Edited by AFChief 7/9/2012 2:20 PM
Posted 7/12/2012 7:21 PM (#571046 - in reply to #520070)

Thanks a ton Chief! The only Grandma I have is a 6" in Crappie color. Any experience with that lure/color combo?
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 7/16/2012 12:32 AM (#571770 - in reply to #571046)

that 6" crappie Granny will be a good one down there.
IlliniMuskie
Posted 10/21/2012 8:34 PM (#592349 - in reply to #520070)
Subject: Re: Kinkaid Advice?

Does anyone know if you can launch from the boat ramp in the north end of the no wake zone ? I'm going to be there Friday and may try to put in there if its possible.

mustseemusky
Posted 10/21/2012 11:35 PM (#592378 - in reply to #520070)

Chads the man, no skunk
hawkeye9
Posted 10/22/2012 11:18 AM (#592439 - in reply to #592349)

Doubtful, depending on the size of your boat. Water is low and the silt has really piled in (it looks like now we'll start paying for the fact that they "cheaped-out" on construction of the lake by not forming the planned siltation basin). You can carefully get out through the silt, but the greater danger is at the end of the ramp. If you drop your axel off the end, it may not bode well for your boat or trailer.

I haven't used that access for the last month or so (but I'm not aware of any reason that conditions would have improved), so maybe someone who has will chime in, but again if you've got a glass boat or its longer than 18' I wouldn't waste the time, effort, and possible misfortune. That said, I'm still hoping that my 17' aluminum rig will get in and out there as the Fall progresses as it saves a cold ride.

Edited by hawkeye9 10/22/2012 11:22 AM
Esocidae
Posted 10/22/2012 8:55 PM (#592607 - in reply to #592439)

I wouldn't recommend launching at Johnson creek. Water is extremly low ,I would say 4'+ . Marina launch is also being worked on, if you launch there watch for boulders as water is at the end of ramp. I would launch at Paul Ice. Was down there this past weekend .
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)