Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Glider's follows but no strikes?

Message Subject: Glider's follows but no strikes?
GREENANDBLUE
Posted 10/1/2012 4:18 PM (#588274)
Subject: Glider's follows but no strikes?

Okay, so i've been throwing all types of gliders and i know their a good bait because i see musky's "most" everytime i use them. The only issue is the musky's just follow and i've yet to land one. Also, i tried every possible "cadence" of working the gliders to get those followers into strikers. Any suggestions, tips, and advice would greatly be appreciated. Good luck on the Musky Hunt!
MuskyMATT7
Posted 10/1/2012 4:25 PM (#588276 - in reply to #588274)
Subject: Re: Glider's follows but no strikes?

Keep at it and learn to keep the bait gliding on the figure 8. I have had very good luck while taking the glider deep in the 8 and ripping it up towards the top all while keeping a (somewhat) rhythmic gliding cadence. Like anything else this takes lots of practice.
esoxaddict
Posted 10/1/2012 4:36 PM (#588280 - in reply to #588274)

A good bait would be one that they actually eat instead of just looking at it...
muletrain
Posted 10/1/2012 8:40 PM (#588365 - in reply to #588274)
Subject: RE: Glider's follows but no strikes?

Adding speed and violence to the equation can sometimes work wonders, also lengthly pauses.
-Chris
Mak51
Posted 10/1/2012 8:53 PM (#588371 - in reply to #588365)
Subject: RE: Glider's follows but no strikes?

Some things that trigger them with gliders: As noted, allow for a pause in the retrieve; do maybe four jerks of the rod then pause, and repeat with maybe six jerks and a pause. Lots of fish will hit on the first pop after the pause. Another option is to occasionally rip or pull the glider as if it were a dive-n-rise jerkbait; the unexpected change in speed and action will trigger them. Finally, if they're following, stop jerking the rod and instead start a straight retrieve with the glider incorporating a little speed; some gliders still have a nice belly roll or slight side-to-side when straight retrieved. I know many guys like the constant hypnotizing side-to-side, and it works, but personally I've been more successful mixing it up.
MUSKYLUND1
Posted 10/2/2012 12:26 PM (#588482 - in reply to #588274)

I agree with what Mak51 says. The rythmic side to side cadence, which is so easy to achieve with something like a Hellhound, is great for getting lots of follows, but rarely triggers strikes for me. Sometimes the fish are really on gliders and other times they just seem to want to follow. What has worked for me is an erratic retrieve that includes lots of pauses, speed up, slow down, up, down, left, right thrown in (not necesarily in that order). I like gliders that have enough neutral buoyancy to really hang there in the fish's face. Belly roll is a nice feature too, some gliders have it and some don't. One bait that has been good for me the last few years is Red October Monster Tubes and Ninja Tubes. I know you were probably talking about hard baits, but I work those big tubes like a glider. I still use hard gliders, but the Monster Tube is now one of my go-to baits Spring, Summer or Fall. It seems like I can often get fish to strike that bait when they won't even look at anything else. For hard gliders I have had success with Hellhounds, Reef Hawgs, Eddie Baits, Musky Magic Instigators, Widomaker Deadheads, Softail Phantoms and Dunwright Dancers.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)