Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Overall Best Musky Rod

Overall Best Musky Rod
OptionAdded byResults
GLoomisBig Ol' Fish9 Votes - [1.97%]
OkumaBig Ol' Fish16 Votes - [3.49%]
Tackle IndustriesBig Ol' Fish156 Votes - [34.06%]
Black RiverBig Ol' Fish6 Votes - [1.31%]
St. CroixBig Ol' Fish167 Votes - [36.46%]
Tooth TamerBig Ol' Fish12 Votes - [2.62%]
ShimanoBig Ol' Fish1 Votes - [0.22%]
Bass Pro Shop RodsBig Ol' Fish1 Votes - [0.22%]
Musky Innovationsaageditch13 Votes - [2.84%]
Fenwick elite tch 8'6 big baitesox19808 Votes - [1.75%]
Migizi 9' XHmakins1173 Votes - [0.66%]
Predatorcrazy cooter17 Votes - [3.71%]
zebcoCASTING551 Votes - [0.22%]
Thorn Bros costum rodmuskyhunter4713 Votes - [2.84%]
Custom X Rods4 Votes - [0.87%]
Mike Hulbert RodSteveHulbert18 Votes - [3.93%]
Lamiglas8 Votes - [1.75%]
old schoolRIVER MUSKY1 Votes - [0.22%]
muskymandan1 Votes - [0.22%]
Lmaiglaseboost1 Votes - [0.22%]
pegasusmuskys1ststripers2nd1 Votes - [0.22%]
Abu Garcia Volatileolboy351 Votes - [0.22%]
Add your own option:

Message Subject: Overall Best Musky Rod
Lucky Craft Man
Posted 2/18/2012 7:19 PM (#539625 - in reply to #539619)
Subject: Re: Overall Best Musky Rod

longNtoothy - 2/18/2012 7:01 PM

This is a great poll. Pretty eye opening for me...anybody else take note that the #2 is like 1/3 the price of the #1? Looks like I need to take another look...impressive.

Yeah, you can get three TI rods of different lengths and powers (to cover most lures used in musky fishing) for the price of 1 St. Croix Legend Tournament (or G Loomis, though, as I mentioned before, I am a big G Loomis fan as well).
KP
Posted 2/19/2012 11:55 AM (#539708 - in reply to #539625)

Just picked up 3 TI rods at the Michigan show. Got to hold other top brands at the show and regaurless of price the TI rods felt nicer, looked nicer and overall were my pick! As above, I got three for the price of one premium brands. Very nice rods.
bryantukkah
Posted 2/19/2012 8:20 PM (#539806 - in reply to #539619)

longNtoothy - 2/18/2012 8:01 PM

This is a great poll. Pretty eye opening for me...anybody else take note that the #2 is like 1/3 the price of the #1? Looks like I need to take another look...impressive.

You're right..... if Price Point wasn't a factor it would be a landslide.
5th lake Brad
Posted 2/19/2012 9:13 PM (#539816 - in reply to #539806)

Interesting, but how many of the votes are from people who have used both of the leading rods in this poll? Or even held both?
esox1980
Posted 2/20/2012 7:50 AM (#539865 - in reply to #538318)
Subject: RE: Overall Best Musky Rod

I guess I'm a little surprised by this thread. I have fished multiple brands of rods and have no real allegiance toward any particular brand. I own and love my St. Croix and TI rods but when I had to pack one for my flyout last year to Canada it was my fenwick elite tech big bait. I guess I'm surprised not many people feel the same I do about it. It is the best all around rod I have in my arsenal.
kodiak
Posted 2/20/2012 8:37 AM (#539883 - in reply to #539865)

esox1980 - 2/20/2012 7:50 AM

I guess I'm a little surprised by this thread. I have fished multiple brands of rods and have no real allegiance toward any particular brand. I own and love my St. Croix and TI rods but when I had to pack one for my flyout last year to Canada it was my fenwick elite tech big bait. I guess I'm surprised not many people feel the same I do about it. It is the best all around rod I have in my arsenal.

the 8'6 or the 8'? i love my 8'6 she deserves a tranx powergear put on.
Pete Stoltman
Posted 2/20/2012 6:22 PM (#540049 - in reply to #538479)

Lucky Craft Man - 2/13/2012 2:09 PM

I am the lone vote for G Loomis (so far), because they make just great rods that are lightweight and really perform well (this is using the assumption cost is not considered in the term "best"). Though, for the greatest value (i.e., best in performance and comfort vs. what you pay), I would have to say Tackle Industries. I am really impressed with their rods and since having kids, my days of being able to spend $350 on a rod are over, so any future rod I will (and have) purchase are TI's.

Loomis makes a decent rod but they currently do not have a musky series. They seem to be consistently behind the times as to what the musky market is looking for. I've had them in the past and although Loomis is a great company and highly regarded in bass rods and others, they just never seem to be ahead of the curve for musky stuff.
Pete Stoltman
Posted 2/20/2012 6:49 PM (#540052 - in reply to #538318)

When you consider price keep in mind what the manufacturing cost is. A company that builds the rod from ground up (machining the mandrels for the blank, wrapping the blank from the graphite fiber, etc.) is going to cost a lot more than a rod that is assembled from materials obtained from other sources. This is most often seen in the case of companies like St. Croix, Loomis (when they have musky rods), and Lamiglas for example vs. blanks and even complete rods constructed in Asia and imported for US distribution. Labor costs alone here in the US are a factor. When you get into builders who are making a rod from a St. Croix or Loomis blank your price is usually going to be competitive if not higher than a production rod from one of those companies and in most cases we refer to those as "custom" rods. Now I'm all for people getting a good deal and getting what they can afford but I for one am pretty serious about my equipment and I appreciate the fact that the guys who design and build the rods I use are musky fishermen themselves and not just a manufacturer who is trying to copy something in a sweatshop factory on the other side of the globe. My vote: St. Croix. If you still want a rod that's priced in a similar range to the Asian rods you can take advantage of the lower labor rates that reflect in the pricing of the Mojo series. Still a St. Croix plant with rods designed in Wisconsin but built in their own factory with their own workers and quality control.
muskymandan
Posted 2/20/2012 7:02 PM (#540057 - in reply to #538318)

I am confused as to why this is even a topic. St Croix no questions asked! The most research and quality control standards verses any other rod. Price doesn’t matter if you want the best you buy a Cadillac not a Buick. No offense to TI but come on the only edge those rods have vs a st croix is the price! Weight, rod diameter, performance, Country of Origin “USA” every aspect is better.
muskymandan
Posted 2/20/2012 7:34 PM (#540071 - in reply to #540057)

PSYS - 2/20/2012 8:10 PM

muskymandan - 2/20/2012 7:02 PM I am confused as to why this is even a topic. St Croix no questions asked! The most research and quality control standards verses any other rod. Price doesn’t matter if you want the best you buy a Cadillac not a Buick. No offense to TI but come on the only edge those rods have vs a st croix is the price! Weight, rod diameter, performance, Country of Origin “USA” every aspect is better.

No disrespect to the St. Croix guys, but with this kind of logic - why isn't every driver licensed in this country behind the wheel of a Cadillac?  ...price. 

If you've got the dollars to throw around and money is no object and your friends call you Daddy Warbux, then definitely buy a super-duper St. Croix Legend Tournament Dolla-Dolla-Bill rod.

But if you're a guy into musky fishing and with today's economy, you're simply struggling to enjoy a hobby you love - then buy a rod from James at Tackle Industries for $120.00 and apply the rest of your hard-earned cash towards a few select baits you want. 

The guy fish with throws nothing but St.. Croix.
I'm using a couple of Tackle Industries rods from James.

I caught fish last year.  So did he.

Pretty sure my Tackle Industries rods did the same thing his St. Croix rods did... the difference?  My wallet wasn't as light as his. 

The topic isn't best rod for around $100! The topic is best overall rod which for TI unfortunetly includes St Croix. Let me ask you this would you choose TI over St Croix if they cost exactly the same? Better yet if a TI rod cost $350 would you still buy a TI over a Legend. I didn't think so. I am just trying to say St Croix as of today has the best most advanced rods on the market.
Lucky Craft Man
Posted 2/20/2012 8:38 PM (#540088 - in reply to #538318)

To Pete, G Loomis does currently have a Muskie Series and they are quite nice. Thicker handle and several various models.

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/gloomis_2010/us/en/conventio...
Posted 2/20/2012 8:57 PM (#540096 - in reply to #538318)

An IM6 is what it is, an IM6! Compare your rods according to blanks...

TI rods are now close to $ 200 where I am.
rodlover
Posted 2/20/2012 9:02 PM (#540098 - in reply to #538318)

what is the IM rating on TI's?
Posted 2/20/2012 9:09 PM (#540102 - in reply to #538318)

Posted 2/20/2012 9:13 PM (#540103 - in reply to #538318)

Sorry....8
pepsiboy
Posted 2/21/2012 6:26 AM (#540132 - in reply to #538318)

i agree with the 8 rods combo
1 rod for 1 oz baits
1 rod for 2 oz baits
1 rod for 3 oz baits
1 rod for 4 oz baits
1 rod for 5 oz baits
1 rod for 6 oz baits
1 rod for 7 oz baits
1 rod for 8 oz baits
1 rod just in case one of them broke

Tackle Industries
Posted 2/21/2012 6:58 AM (#540137 - in reply to #538318)

FYI-Officially my rods are IM8 but that really means very little due to the way my rods are made. It is IM8 through a portion of my rod blanks and then changes. That is about all I can say on the IM rating. One of the few things I keep trade secret is the way my rod blanks are manufactured and definitely the materials and adhesives used in the process. The pressure while rolling the blanks also varies as well as the heating and curing time. We performed many DOE experiments using various experimental design factors to tweak the process of manufacturing and materials used. My first blank cost me over $3000 just to get one close to specs and the next 6 test prototypes cost over $10,000 to really narrow into the final product. More thought and science went into my rods than any other of my products to date and I hope it shows as mine are some of the lowest weight blanks with the most power on the market today. Simply said, TI rods are not just punched out of a factory and a sticker put on. Every aspect from raw materials through process variables are specified to very tight tolerances and specifications. In addition there are two main reasons TI rods are priced extremely well, 1) We do not spend a ton of money on advertising so we do not have to add $100+/rod to the price 2) My margins are thin as I started my company almost 8 years ago to help my customers save money so they can enjoy this great sport and still have a family life. No reason anyone should not be able to afford to go fishing.
Just wanted to point a few things out due to the above Qs. See my rods at the upcoming Madison, Wausau and New London shows and feel one for yourself.
Thanks, James
PSYS
Posted 2/21/2012 7:09 AM (#540141 - in reply to #538318)

I don't think there's any right or wrong answer. I think everyone should utilize whatever rod they feel comfortable with that's within their budget.

The lame authomobile metaphors and analogies this forum continues to utilize over and over again when it comes to rods and reels is a bit overused. i.e., "Why drive a Chevy Nova when you can drive a Lamborghini Gallardo?", "Why drive a Pontiac Grand Prix when you can drive an Audi RS4?", "Why drive a Buick LeSabre when you can drive a BMW M6?" and on and on and on and on and on.

That isn't exactly apples to oranges, in my ever so humble opinion. Or perhaps everyone is just reading the thread title and interpreting it the way they want to? "Overall Best Musky Rod" does NOT mean to me "Money is No Object - which rod would you buy?"

In a real-world scenario, perhaps we'd all love to have a $500.00 Thorne Bros. super-duper custom Apex Predator blah blah blah with custom carbon fiber blah blah blah and Fuji super duper blah blah blah guides. But in today's economy, I can't afford to spend $500.00 on a rod. MOST can't. However, I CAN afford $120.00. And at THAT price point, I think that's where the TI rods are a factor.
bowhunter29
Posted 2/21/2012 7:25 AM (#540145 - in reply to #538318)

Many people get hung up on the IM6, IM7, IM8 ratings without knowing what the ratings actually mean and without knowing the significance of the ratings (or lack thereof). IM ratings aren't really important, believe it or not. What matters is the construction of the blank, how is it built? You can have an IM8 from a manufacturer that is heavier and less responsive than a rod built with IM6 materials from another manufacturer. The IM ratings are a way for companies to hype their rods without actually telling you if you are getting a quality product or not.

James hit the nail on the head, it's about the construction.

jeremy
Pete Stoltman
Posted 2/21/2012 7:36 AM (#540147 - in reply to #540088)

Lucky Craft Man - 2/20/2012 8:38 PM

To Pete, G Loomis does currently have a Muskie Series and they are quite nice. Thicker handle and several various models.

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/gloomis_2010/us/en/conventio...

I'll have to look into that. The last we had heard at the Musky Shop from Shimano/Loomis was that they discontinued that series and were working on coming up with new rods. Surprised they didn't contact us to purchase more since we've always been a Loomis dealer. Thanks for the heads up.
makins117
Posted 2/21/2012 10:20 AM (#540216 - in reply to #538318)

This thread was really a "What is Your Favorite Rod" thread from the beginning. Everyone's opinion is based solely on which rod they like the most. Paying $400 for a rod doesn't necessarily make it the best. Paying $100 for a rod doesn't necessarily make it not the best. I haven't met a single person yet at shows or on the water who has fished with every rod out there and can say for sure which is the best rod. Rods aren't status symbols; or at least they shouldn't be. They are tools. So buy a rod you like, no matter the cost, and enjoy it while catching fish.
Posted 2/25/2012 3:30 AM (#541458 - in reply to #538318)

Big Ol' Fish - 2/12/2012 9:07 PM

I am in the market for a new musky rod before fishing season begins. This will primarily be for bucktails and for medium to magnum sized swimbaits. Quality of the rod and customer service is the primary consideration. Here are the ones I have looked at so far - please add more if I have overlooked one.

To me its a sticker on a rod. If you can close your eyes and try both and buy the one you like better.
Posted 10/2/2012 10:34 AM (#588469 - in reply to #538318)

Does the TI rods fit in down east rod holders? The website says they are 25% fatter grips than stock. Thanks.

"There she is, got em Jim!"

Killerbug
Posted 10/3/2012 1:16 AM (#588628 - in reply to #538318)

This is not a great poll if you want to know what kind of rod that suits your fishing, The poll only shows us that the user at Muskiesfirst respond welll to the direct marketing efforts done here.
Killerbug
Posted 10/3/2012 1:19 AM (#588629 - in reply to #588469)

guest - 10/2/2012 10:34 AM

Does the TI rods fit in down east rod holders? The website says they are 25% fatter grips than stock. Thanks.

"There she is, got em Jim!"

Not in the standard sized Down East, but you can still place the TI rods in them, by the foregrip.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)