Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> High Falls Flowage?

Message Subject: High Falls Flowage?
hooked
Posted 8/5/2012 9:35 AM (#576053)
Subject: High Falls Flowage?

Interested in any info on fishing this area. Thanks!
turbine_surgeon
Posted 8/6/2012 2:07 AM (#576199 - in reply to #576053)
Subject: RE: High Falls Flowage?

High falls has muskie, big ones, but they are few and far between. Find crappie, and you will find musky. Bright orange dbl 10's. Caldron falls up the road has better numbers, but hard pressed to find anything in the upper 40's, but they are in there. Stained water in both, bright colored buck tails all year round are my lure's of choice. Stayed at Tommy Thompson state park during the opener, on Caldron Falls. Great camp ground!
Almost-B-Good
Posted 8/6/2012 6:55 AM (#576214 - in reply to #576053)

Fishing has been brutal there this year and the boat traffic on weekends even worse. Unless you can fish it during the week or early and late, you better have unlimited tolerance for people that have no respect at all for fishermen.

They can be in shallow weeds, on rock structure and suspended all at the same time so everything is in play this time of year. Good luck! You'll need it. I've fished it for over 30 years and have learned to think a legal fish every 7 man-days is pretty good. Stained water also means the number of follows you see will be minimal, so if you are looking for action, try another lake. If you are looking for a big fish, they are certainly there, with a real weighed on a scale 50# fish having been recorded, and stories of 40's not that uncommon. Unfortunately, there are unlimited baitfish too so these bigger fish don't have to work at all for food. Still interested? Oh, I forgot to mention the population is down from the good old days and so is the average size. But the scenery is outstanding.
Posted 9/17/2012 10:41 PM (#585404 - in reply to #576053)

I have been fishing for muskies on occasion for years, and finally caught one a few weeks ago (44"). My husband has also fished for muskies on High Falls for many years but has yet to catch one there.
We were fishing more for bass & northern earlier in the summer and even those we eren't catching much of, hardly any northern to speak of (odd, since even last year those were plentiful). Panfish are there, but anything I've caught recently is small, wth a few ok size here & there.
The past several years the fishing has definitely gone downhill, once the land was sold and the state park came to be the flowage has been even more inundated with receational boaters who have no respect for fisherman or any other boats around them. In the summer don't even bother fishing during the day on a weekend, it's constant boat traffic from 8-9am till after 7pm. Most annoying are the skiers blaring their music so loud that you can hear it indoors on-shore, all day long, back & forth.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)