Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> WI or MN lake (help)

Message Subject: WI or MN lake (help)
polarkraftdave
Posted 8/15/2012 6:30 PM (#578561)
Subject: WI or MN lake (help)

Gonna go on a trip with my brother in law to a lake in WI or MN. I get to pick the lake but it has to have excellent bass fishing, he will be bass fishing while I look for a few Muskies. 1st or 2nd week of next month. Any help is appreciated. Thank you
polarkraftdave
Posted 8/15/2012 7:18 PM (#578575 - in reply to #578561)
Subject: Re: WI or MN lake (help)

Would the Chippewa flowage fill this ? Never been there
tyler k
Posted 8/15/2012 8:04 PM (#578596 - in reply to #578561)

Depends what the total experience should be. A lot of the metro lakes have great largemouth fishing along with the muskies (Tonka, Indy both I can vouch for). Vermilion has great smallmouth, and some big largemouth but more limited in numbers. I've never heard bass fishing is that great on the Chip, but could be wrong I don't fish Hayward much. In N WI most clear lakes have pretty good smallmouth fishing (Tomahawk, Katherine, Lac Du Flambeau Chain, lots of others). So do the WI and Flambeau river systems (Rhinelander Flowage, Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Gile Flowage, several others). If I'm after numbers of smallmouth, I go to the rivers, big smallmouth the clear lakes generally. Madison Chain has great bass also.
polarkraftdave
Posted 8/15/2012 8:40 PM (#578604 - in reply to #578561)

Sounds like the Lac Du Flambeau chain is what I`m looking for ? Looks as tho plenty of places to stay also
fishhawk50
Posted 8/15/2012 8:47 PM (#578609 - in reply to #578561)

good bass fishing on the LDF chain..smallies and LM. contacting a muskie on those lakes will be tough. muskies are in there but not in big quantities. concentrate on flambeau and big crawling stone. pokegama is a good bet also.
jonnysled
Posted 8/15/2012 9:20 PM (#578624 - in reply to #578609)

Lake Minocqua is polluted with LMB's and Lake Tom has tons of smallies ... good musky fishery too and a great town that has plenty of lodging options.
Bill Self
Posted 8/16/2012 9:33 AM (#578701 - in reply to #578596)

I'd add a vote for Turtle Flambeau Flowage. It offers some of the best smallmouth fishing I've experienced. The muskies are lower density, but they are in there and carry a nice average size. Plus you can't beat the scenery/privacy. If you go, or look into it, try to find a place to stay further down the system as opposed to the falls by the north end. Way more pressure, boats, cabins, etc. up that way. If you can find lodging south of the dam or close, I like the Lake Ten/Rat Lake sections. At least check it out. Plus Mercer is a nice town.
Flambeauski
Posted 8/17/2012 9:45 AM (#578954 - in reply to #578561)

Turrtle Flambeau would be very good choice, Day Lake by Clam Lake WI would be good choice too, 4-5 lb LMB are not uncommon and there's a lot of muskies too, not much for size though. Nice campground on the lake and beginning of next month the elk will be bugling in the morning and evenings. That by itself is worth the trip.
sworrall
Posted 8/17/2012 9:49 AM (#578957 - in reply to #578561)

Minocqua. Bass fishing there is stellar. Muskies anin't bad, either.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)