Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The Freak Shall Inherit the Girth"....Rev.RaZe
- (Added by: RAZE1)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Repairing rubber/plastic tails

Message Subject: Repairing rubber/plastic tails
muskyslayer96
Posted 8/5/2012 7:33 AM (#576039)
Subject: Repairing rubber/plastic tails

Hey fellas,

I ask this a lot and get a number of different opinions, what is the best way to repair a tearing tail on a bulldawg lure? Is the glue they sell any good? I've tried melting them but wasn't impressed with the durability?

Thanks in advance, hope everyone season is going well

MS
Ebenezer
Posted 8/5/2012 7:51 AM (#576041 - in reply to #576039)
Subject: RE: Repairing rubber/plastic tails

For tails, Mend It works quite well. Melting also works, I get best melting results when I let the rubber catch fire before joining the sections.
gordonmann69
Posted 8/5/2012 8:42 AM (#576046 - in reply to #576039)
Subject: Re: Repairing rubber/plastic tails

I like Mend it
The Toad
Posted 8/5/2012 9:21 AM (#576050 - in reply to #576039)

Out on the water I use a windproof lighter or mini torch and it usually holds until I get back to work on it more on shore. Once at home, I melt mine together with a hot butter knife, and afterwards I spread both sides with the butter knife to make sure it holds. If it is beyond repair and the tear is in a thin part of the tail or messes up the action, get a replacement tail and switch them out, that is easy to do. I have a metal ruler I clamp to the wall in my garage and then blow torch it until it's hot, then slide both the bulldawg and replacement tail along it and together. Good as new tail.
fishfirst92
Posted 8/5/2012 9:29 AM (#576051 - in reply to #576039)

+2 on Mend it. It works well
Zib
Posted 8/5/2012 1:24 PM (#576087 - in reply to #576039)

I've used Mend-it & I've melted with a lighter & I prefer the Mend-it. I've also heard that the PVC cement that's used for PVC pipes works good as well but have never tried it.
eric001
Posted 8/5/2012 4:18 PM (#576122 - in reply to #576039)

<p>heat a butter knife(or somthing similar) with torch, apply both pieces of plastisol to ether side of hot metal and then slide the knife out- pressing pieces together. works better then mend it- or any other option. this method works well for anypart of the bait including deep cuts the head and body of the lure. also you can use this method to mod. or add fins ect. to the lure. </p><p>opps this has be covered already</p><p>e</p>

Edited by eric001 8/5/2012 4:20 PM
jasonvkop
Posted 8/5/2012 4:54 PM (#576130 - in reply to #576122)

eric001 - 8/5/2012 5:18 PM
heat a butter knife(or somthing similar) with torch, apply both pieces of plastisol to ether side of hot metal and then slide the knife out- pressing pieces together. works better then mend it- or any other option. this method works well for anypart of the bait including deep cuts the head and body of the lure. also you can use this method to mod. or add fins ect. to the lure.

+1 for this! I've used mend-it and all the other kinds of liquids or glues and they work decently well some of the time, but then don't work at all at other times. Melting is the best way IMO and heating up a knife is the best way of melting in most situations.
dietmar
Posted 8/12/2012 5:43 AM (#577557 - in reply to #576039)

Hello,

the best method for repairing soft rubber lures like bull dawgs, grubs, shads, frogs and so on is using a SMD hot air solder station or hot air rework station at home.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=hot+air+solder+station&_sacat=0...

This is the perfect way. You can regulate the temperature and the air volume. So you can use the minimum of heat. The plastik don't get brown or black. To use a nozzle with 1 mm to 2 mm is the right size. You open the cut in the plastik one to three millimeter. Then you blow the hot air down to the ground of the cut. So both walls of the cut get liquid on the surface. Then press the cut slightly together. You can use this for all plastik lures. I think the first buy is a bull dawg. The second buy is a hot air solder station for repairing it. I use an expensive station from Loner but some friends of mine use a cheap one from ebay and this work too. The best choice is a station where the air pump is in the station. A fan in the handle is not so good. With a station for maybe about 60 to 80 Dollar you can save the money for hundreds of soft baits. You can not only repair soft baits, you can create new colour combinations. Cut two shads with different colours twice, mix the colours and weld them together. The same with grubs..........

Bye, Dietmar

Edited by dietmar 8/12/2012 6:08 AM
krazyk
Posted 8/12/2012 5:04 PM (#577642 - in reply to #576039)

PVC cement rules ! It takes alittle longer to set up but once it is dry the bait is better than new. I rebuilt a bull dawg 4 times last fall including the body and tail and its as tough as nails.. a little more glossy but still catching fish... I've caught a dozen fish on the thing and I'm waiting for it to explode !!! Of course its got a half dozen replacements just waiting for the day when surgery is no longer an option.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)