Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> 2012 trip for big pike/lakers, NWT, Canada

Message Subject: 2012 trip for big pike/lakers, NWT, Canada
PikeFlyGuy
Posted 1/13/2012 12:09 PM (#532666)
Subject: 2012 trip for big pike/lakers, NWT, Canada

I'm heading for Lac La Martre, NWT on June 26 - July 2 to fly-fish, mainly for huge pike. I know it's not musky, but the fisging's great and the lake's famous for big pike (a tippet-class record was caught there) and Lakers (30+# possible...on a fly!!), and Grayling, too, and I get more and bigger pike on streamer flies than typical hardware casters. I'm looking for company (hardware casters are welcome, if they don't mind getting out-fished by flyrods), and would be glad to teach anyone how to take big pike on flies, and how to tie my favorite streamers. There's still room at the lodge, and the trip includes all meals, guides, and airfare into the lodge from Yellowknife. Cost, including 1 night hotel at Yellowknife (June 25), local taxes and probable tips should be about $4,000.

Contact me ([email protected]) if you're interested. I make no money at this. Just looking for some fishermen to share the fun.
krazyk
Posted 1/13/2012 5:27 PM (#532724 - in reply to #532666)
Subject: RE: 2012 trip for big pike/lakers, NWT, Canada

My buddy fished there a few years ago and caught a giant "blue" gator..From what I recall ,the magnum bunny leeches seemed to be the ticket. The lakers like to head deep early so you might consider a full-sink line. Wish I could go as Lac 'da Marty is on my bucket list...
PikeFlyGuy
Posted 1/14/2012 3:53 PM (#532860 - in reply to #532724)

I, too, wish you could come. I use mostly 8" marabou streamers for pike. Easier to cast, better action, and believe it or not, they outlast rabbit strip flis my miles. I tie a Flashabou streamer for the lakers (works great on pike, too), and took a 37", 18# beaut on Nueltin Lake, Manatoba, in 2010. I've got a fast-sink shooting head I'll be using for the trout. By the way, patterns for the flies are in my book, TOOTHY CRITTERS LOVE FLIES (Amazon & fly shops), and I'll give a copy to anyone who joins me on the trip.

Have a great year...and tight lines...where ever you fish in 2012
IAJustin
Posted 1/14/2012 4:40 PM (#532870 - in reply to #532860)
Subject: Re: 2012 trip for big pike/lakers, NWT, Canada

George, I was @ Nueltin in 2010 at the Narrows lodge, I was up the first week the lodge was open (mid June), still a lot of main lake ice and the fishing was almost stupid - water was clear and not a single pike I saw (and they were everywhere) refused my fly - 6" black bunny strip was all you needed, seriously lost count of how many I caught, 100's over 36" - 14 were between 42"-44", unbelievable fun on a fly rod. I too like flashabou streamers for casting to lakers ... an obese 39.5" laker was my largest, and on a 7wt ..that was interesting. Anyway, Do you have recommendations on getting to yellowknife from Minneapolis or Chicago...Ive looked at Lac La Marte before but roundtrip flights to yellowknife are often an additional thousand bucks + when I was checking. Would love to fish Lac La Marte as well but Nueltin (driving to Winnipeg) is about 2 grand less from what I can find and I cant imagine the fishing being much better?
PikeFlyGuy
Posted 1/16/2012 8:57 AM (#533177 - in reply to #532870)

Yeah, Nueltin was exceptional, but when I was there, the water was 4' low, and fishing wasn't up to par, but we did get some big fish, and saw others.

Flights to Yellowknife usually go Calgary. There are direct flights from both Winnipeg and Toronto, as well as from Chicago. Fares aren't cheap, but I'm using Frequent Flier miles. I'm actually planning on visiting a great lodge in a private reserve (La Reserve Beauchene) in Eastern Quebec (from Toronto) first for 4 days of super smallmouth fishing, flying from Toronto to Yellowknife, via Calagary, arriving late that evening.

You can e-mail me directly (pikeflyguy(at)aol(dot)com) if you want more info, or if you want to join me.
PikeFlyGuy
Posted 1/16/2012 1:19 PM (#533238 - in reply to #532666)

As an afterthought, I'll send anyone who wants to join me in the NWT a free copy of my book, TOOTHY CRITTERS LOVE FLIES. Might even throw in a few of my favorite streamers. Blatent bribery to get some company. My usual fishing buddies are all commited for this year.
DonPursch
Posted 11/13/2012 4:19 PM (#597768 - in reply to #532666)

Ever thought about muskies on a fly great challenge see lots and they do take flys
Best on the opener3 rd sat in June and Great Lake trout fishin 7-12 lbs common just a thought.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)