Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Follows- Weeds vs Rocks

Message Subject: Follows- Weeds vs Rocks
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 9/2/2013 4:34 PM (#660912)
Subject: Follows- Weeds vs Rocks

I am not advanced in angling in any way, but have a question that I have been pondering lately. Maybe it's dumb, but as a newbie who doesn't get to fish much it really has me wondering.

Do you guys see more fish/follows off of rock structure or when in the weeds? As I am new to the sport and don't have a good boat that won't blow up onto the rocks with the slightest wind, I usually fish weeds. However, I did fish a lot more off of rock structure this summer and didn't see but 1 musky, whereas I has 10 follows, 2 nippers and 1 lost one in the weeds, plus 2 caught fish in the weeds. This is not counting what the guys I fished with saw, or pike.

What I am wondering is if the the fish on the rocks don't follow as much because they can locate the lure by sight more easily and are therefore less curious? I don't fish much, but as I learn spots more I tend to see more fish on the weed spots, compared to the rock spots I hit (proportionately of course). And, the fish are most definitely on both types of structure, but for some reason I don't see them off of rock as much as weeds during prime times. Thanks.
esoxaddict
Posted 9/3/2013 4:07 PM (#661098 - in reply to #660912)
Subject: Re: Follows- Weeds vs Rocks

I haven't noticed a difference in follows between rocks/humps/weeds/timber/etc. The only time it seems to change is when you're fishing over the tops of thick weed beds.

Seems like when you're in the thick stuff the fish either eat or you just don't see them at all. My only thought there is that the lures are only in their field of view for a very short time, so they have to either eat it right away or let it go by.
Top H2O
Posted 9/3/2013 9:54 PM (#661176 - in reply to #661098)

I get follows on both the rocks and in the weeds.....
But I think the more aggressive fish come off of the rocks /humps/points,.... especially in the late fall...IMHO.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 9/4/2013 12:40 PM (#661297 - in reply to #661176)

Ok. It must be because if my limited experience. Jerome, I keep forgetting to send Joe n Steve something for your tab there. Thanks again for taking me out.
sworrall
Posted 9/5/2013 10:31 PM (#661593 - in reply to #660912)

I see no real difference here, rocks VS weeds, in numbers or activity of the fish. They all pretty much flip me the fin pretty regularly.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 9/5/2013 11:48 PM (#661606 - in reply to #660912)

Maybe when I fish rocks they are in better moods? After thinking about it more, it is usually not a prime time when I do fish rocks. So, I am probably just not hitting the fish at good times. It's simply true that you can't beat time on the water. I plan on fishing more rocks in October, so I hope to to prove myself wrong.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)