Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Big St. Germain Needs Your Help

Message Subject: Big St. Germain Needs Your Help
Cowboyhannah
Posted 5/4/2012 8:54 PM (#557957 - in reply to #557584)
Subject: Re: Big St. Germain Needs Your Help

"I wonder what Rob Manthei thinks of this."

http://www.outdoors911.com/reports/showthread.php?25890-Big-st-boat...
Peter Stoltman
Posted 5/5/2012 12:38 AM (#557988 - in reply to #557584)

I would just like to reiterate that if you are opposed to this concept please make your feelings known. I posted information to contact the St. Germain Chamber on the original post. Otherwise feel free to send to me and I'll make sure it gets to the meeting on Tuesday. Virtually every local person I know is opposed to this idea but if they know that word is getting out across the state and out of state visitors and WILL impact tourism it will carry some weight.
JBlanck
Posted 5/6/2012 4:10 PM (#558182 - in reply to #557584)

Pete

PM sent to you to forward, please.

Jeff
Peter Stoltman
Posted 5/6/2012 11:41 PM (#558282 - in reply to #557584)

Thanks Jeff. I sent a copy to the Chamber office and will also hand deliver at the meeting on Tuesday.
jonnysled
Posted 5/8/2012 8:25 PM (#558619 - in reply to #557584)

went to the meeting tonight and the subject was called for and on the record for about 30 minutes with an introduction of the situation presented.

the opposition was well represented by the Chamber of Commerce, Guides and others in the room.

a woman from i believe the DNR spoke a bit too.

it was represented as being "in discussion" and no further.

my feeling was that the opposition was able to send the message that it would have a negative effect across a spectrum of resultant issues and that there were many more productive options along with no guarantee for "total" control if that was the expected result.

glad i went and will continue to participate when and if i can.

the most profound question asked was "how is the recruitment of volunteers from the lake association for inspectors?" ... apparently those who are calling for it don't step up to the plate to do anything about it by volunteering during the times they would be most needed. i held back the urge to mumble "murmur-murmer-murmer-murmer" from the crowd ... LOL

i sensed this issue is not over though, so keep tuned to updates and keep supporting ...

Pete and Rob were well prepared and so was the Chamber!

Edited by jonnysled 5/8/2012 8:47 PM
Peter Stoltman
Posted 5/8/2012 10:49 PM (#558648 - in reply to #557584)

Thanks for attending Jon and for your report. I made a pretty long post on my website Fish Report board and would invite anyone who is interested to read it over. I'd post it here if there is interest. Thanks to all who have supported the effort to squash this proposal. Like Jon I have a good feeling that we made an impact tonight and the idea of a boat launch fee is a lot less likely than it would have been if this had been kept under the radar.
muskie-addict
Posted 5/8/2012 10:58 PM (#558650 - in reply to #558619)

Still missing something.....

How exactly was this lake association entity planning on taking control of this public access point? Were they going to buy it? Did the state/DNR agree to sell it or relinquish control or abandon it?

I've seen things like this go on in city and townships I've lived in, but it usually starts as a proposal by one party and is agreed upon by both. Usually involves a road that is bordered on all sides and dead ends within one particular party's property. They go to the city council or town board and propose to buy said road, or the city agrees to relinquish control and maintenance to the interested party. At some point before the decision is final, anyone in attendance who is a resident in the jurisdiction can voice an opinion.

I don't see anything about that here.

For the record, if this were even remotely similar to the stamp thing, boaters would have had to have been lined up at the launch, standing with wads of singles and a pencils in hand, begging for someone to put out some envelopes, a flat surface to write on and a lockbox because they felt the landing was inadequate. THAT didn't happen either.

-Eric

Edited by muskie-addict 5/8/2012 11:00 PM
Peter Stoltman
Posted 5/8/2012 11:12 PM (#558652 - in reply to #557584)

Eric, thanks for asking. A lot of this was cleared up at the meeting and I'd encourage you to read my full report. In essence a "lake district" is a special government body that can work in a "partnership" situation with the DNR to allow a boat launch charge. According to the representative of the DNR who attended there are only two lakes in the state that do this. Both are in the southern part of the state. Lake Geneva is one and I don't believe she said what the other lake was.
muskie-addict
Posted 5/8/2012 11:43 PM (#558654 - in reply to #558652)

Thanks, Pete.

I guess this begs the question of how and why a "lake district" gets started/inserted/implemented.....whatever the term is.
Peter Stoltman
Posted 5/9/2012 7:30 AM (#558679 - in reply to #557584)

A lake district is a more formal organization than a lake association and is a special government entity. There are tons of details but here is a bit of info that I found. Lots more if you want to study the state statutes.

WHAT IS A LAKE DISTRICT?

The details of the laws governing lake districts can be found in Chapter 33 of the Wisconsin State Statutes and are encapsulated in the Guide to Wisconsin's Lake Management Law. The following are abbreviated highlights:
WHAT IS A DISTRICT?
A lake district is a special purpose unit of government. The first districts came into existence in 1974 with the passing of Chapter 33 of the Wisconsin State Statutes. There are approximately 100 lake districts in Wisconsin today.
WHAT IS ITS PURPOSE?
The purpose of a district is to maintain, protect, and improve the quality of a lake and its watershed for the mutual good of the members and the lake environment.
HOW IS IT FORMED?
A lake district can be formed in one of four ways:
by 51% of the landowners in the proposed district petitioning the county or town board;
by owners of 51% of the land in the proposed district petitioning the county or town board;
by resolution of a village board or city council; or
by conversion of a town sanitary district.
Rick
Posted 5/9/2012 3:36 PM (#558803 - in reply to #557584)
Subject: RE: Big St. Germain Needs Your Help

Its Falk's, no Barrett's no Walker's fault ... tax the 1%
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)