Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> 9ft?

Message Subject: 9ft?
PounderDawg
Posted 4/29/2012 10:37 AM (#556557)
Subject: 9ft?

I have a 7'2" XH musky mojo and have liked that length. Looking to get a TI 9' XXH, I wouldn't have really thought of getting a rod that long, but so many people say they love the length. Why is this?
RyanJoz
Posted 4/29/2012 10:45 AM (#556559 - in reply to #556557)
Subject: Re: 9ft?

Longer rods allow for bigger figure 8's that are easier on the angler, better hooksets because a longer rod will take up more line on a hookset, and the length of the rod allows you to cast lighter baits than the rods are rated for. I regularly throw 3/4 oz baits on my St Croix 8'6" XH rods. I personally have the handles extended because I like the leverage I can get by "pinning" the rod under my arm instead of bruising ribs during hooksets. This extension also eases all your joints on the cast and figure 8. A longer lever arm yields a greater mechanical advantage.
thrax_johnson
Posted 4/29/2012 10:50 AM (#556560 - in reply to #556557)

Versatility. Casting in general is easier. With the same amount of effort as you use now you'll cast further, or if you're happy with how far you cast you'll put less effort to cast that distance with the longer rod. Really enhances figure 8 ability near the boat. You'll be amazed at the overall difference adding almost 2ft to the rod over what you've been using. The only negative some find is working jerk baits/wtd stuff. But all those baits can be worked fine, just takes a little different technique to not be slapping the water every jerk.

Unless you plan on casting a lot of big rubber or running a lot of big blades fairly fast, the XH is probably a better "overall" rod which can run double 10's very well and can cast mag dawgs and similar sized baits a long ways, while not sacrificing performance on smaller stuff like light topwaters, smaller bucktails etc. The XXH will not load as well with the lighter baits and you'll actually lose some performance casting those with the XXH.
muskie! nut
Posted 4/29/2012 11:14 AM (#556565 - in reply to #556557)

I tend to use my 8'6" EVX more than my 9'3" EVX. Its feels more comfortable. I doubt if I will every buy another 9 ft rod again.
Mullhead
Posted 4/29/2012 11:15 AM (#556566 - in reply to #556565)

Buy a 9ft XH TI and you will sale the St Croix 7"2 the next day.
cast10K
Posted 4/29/2012 1:06 PM (#556586 - in reply to #556565)

I agree w/ muskie nut. When I switched from 7' to 8' I was amazed mostly by the increased casting distance. Then I got 8.5 footers and there was maybe a slight improvement. Last year I tried a 9 footer, and I felt like the point of diminishing returns was right around 8.5'. That's what I'll be sticking with, no pun intended.
Jeremy
Posted 4/29/2012 1:08 PM (#556588 - in reply to #556557)
Subject: RE: 9ft?

PounderDawg - 4/29/2012 10:37 AM

I have a 7'2" XH musky mojo and have liked that length. Looking to get a TI 9' XXH, I wouldn't have really thought of getting a rod that long, but so many people say they love the length. Why is this?

Good post! Me too and have often wondered the same thing.

Recently went to 7'6" and liked that better but I think that'll be it for me. My fly rods are 9'...can't imagine my muskie sticks that long. But I'm no hardcore guy either so it's interesting to hear the replies.

Jeremy.
muskyhunter47
Posted 4/29/2012 6:17 PM (#556621 - in reply to #556557)

my new rod is a 9'8"put a tranx on it cant wait to get out and use it .
shaley
Posted 4/29/2012 6:25 PM (#556624 - in reply to #556621)

To me a 9' is so much more forgiving on the body, allowing me to enjoy the time on the water more often and for longer periods...Also much easier cating, bait control, hook sets, figure 8's and so on... After 3 seasons+ with 9' rods I can't think of a downside to them....
bowhunter29
Posted 4/29/2012 7:07 PM (#556642 - in reply to #556557)

I have really enjoyed using longer rods. I started out with a 7'er when I started muskie fishing. My first upgrade was to an 8'6" XH Lamiglas and I still use that rod all the time. I've since added a couple of 9'ers and an 8' St Croix Avid Inshore. I've started to hit some of my favorite spots when I'm out running errands and the 8'er is great for bank fishing. I couldn't cast a 9'er- too many trees. It's much easier throwing the heavier lures with a longer rod and, like the other guys said, figure 8'ing is MUCH easier with an 8'6" or 9'.

jeremy
Ebenezer
Posted 4/29/2012 11:26 PM (#556735 - in reply to #556557)

Don't know about the 9 foot, but longer is better. I'm stubborn/cheap/late to the game whatever, but after trying several friend's sticks, I had Thorne's twist up a SlingBlade butt extended to 8' 9" two years ago, and last year got a Big Dawg that I butt-extended to 8' 9". Since getting those two rods, I went from a 6 rod guy with some sticks dedicated to specific tasks, to a two-stick guy. I might be looking for a lighter stick yet, but it probably will not be too short.
jackson
Posted 4/30/2012 9:05 AM (#556770 - in reply to #556557)

i think 8' or 8.5' is optimal. 9ft IMO doesn't allow me to cast further, at least not noticable. I have a few 9' rods but still prefer 8' especially when fishing alone. I caught a nice fish last year and trying to net it by myself with the 9' rod was a little tough. not impossible but i noticed it. I have a MI 8'3" rod that i believe is the PERFECT length. Now if we can get TI to build that length that would be perfect!!!!!!!!
curleytail
Posted 4/30/2012 10:39 AM (#556794 - in reply to #556557)

I've owned 6'6", 7', 8', 8'6" and 9' rods. Everything but 8'6" and 9' feels short. An 8'6" rod will give great casting distance and good figure 8's, cast baits well and be easy on the body. The biggest difference I notice in the 9' length is a better figure 8. I think sometimes the guys that used 9' rods and didn't like them might have a heavier rod. I think when you get to 9' and longer, you need to get a fairly light rod or it will be very tip heavy and unbalanced. That will wear you out after a while. Either buy a lighter 9' rod that is comfortable to use, or weight the butt end to balance a heavy, longer rod (actually light rods couldn't probably all stand balancing but I've never done it).

I agree, unless you are buying this rod exclusively for 12-16 oz+ baits I would get the XH rather than the XXH.

I'm betting you will wonder how you ever fished with a 7'2" rod after using a 9 footer. I struggled with catching fish in the 8 with even an 8' rod. When I went to 8'6" my figure 8 % went up quite a bit.

Tucker
wvhillbillyjlm
Posted 4/30/2012 11:16 AM (#556803 - in reply to #556794)

I have an 8'6" Bulldawg and a 9' TI XH. Along with whats stated above, I prefer the longer rods for bank fishing smaller streams because the longer lengths allow me to "steer" my baits around or close to snags and other structure better than short rods. I feel they also allows me to get my bucktails bulging faster.
Zib
Posted 4/30/2012 12:31 PM (#556840 - in reply to #556557)

I went from using a 7'6" rod to the 9' TI XH rod last year & it made a world of a difference for me. With the 7'6" rod I would get wore out from casting & would have to rest but the 9' TI rod makes casting a lot easier & I was able to fish all day with it.
MuskyMike51
Posted 5/1/2012 9:43 AM (#557038 - in reply to #556557)

3 years ago I got my first MI 8' XXH primarily for throwing dawgs, rubber dubbers actually. Last year i picked up a 9' and won a 9'r. My initial impression of the 9' rod is that its slightly tip heavy until i put the correct reel on it. I couldn't believe the difference between 8 and 9 ft. I think the ability to work a bait away from the boat is the biggest difference. When you can make your lure turn 10+ ft away i feel like the anglers ability to see the fish following is greatly increasesd(in clear water). I have yet to pin a fish on my 9' but I have to believe with the extra foot on the rod its just that much better at absorbing violent head shakes and fast moves close to the boat that an angler cant react quick enough to.

Like all said above, castability is improved, especially from a 7ftr. In terms of casting distance the long stick helps but having a good reel that's well oiled is key there also. Try one... you'll be amazed at the difference. My dad has been musky hunting for a long long time. We laugh at the collection of rods he's amassed over the years. The old 5 and 6ftrs look like they should be used for gafs rather than rods. He and my uncle's laugh about the leap from 6' to 7' and 20 years later guys are throwing 9+ ft rods.
Bill Schwartz
Posted 5/1/2012 7:39 PM (#557225 - in reply to #556557)

Like most everyone says, the larger figure 8's are a plus. I like having the rear handle longer (17-18") that will help in casting larger baits. The heavy or XH TB Preditor rod is tough to beat for a all aroung rod. Throne Bros. can make them up to 9'6" or a bit longer. This winter I had them make me a 9'8" Big Nasty rod with a 18" rear handle. Just got it the other day and really looking foward to this weekend!
Wood_Duck
Posted 5/2/2012 11:14 AM (#557364 - in reply to #556557)

I have the 9ft XH and I'm going to be adding the XXH. I wouldnt use less than a 9ft after owning a TI. Especially great for getting down on your figure 8s
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)