Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Homeade bumper boards?

Message Subject: Homeade bumper boards?
WBL_JL
Posted 4/21/2012 9:40 PM (#554837)
Subject: Homeade bumper boards?

Anyone ever make there own bumper boards? I decided to make one over the winter one weekend. Just thought I'd post it seeing as I'm bored and its raining out..

If you got one lets see it too!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMAG0460.jpg)

(IMAG0461.jpg)

(IMAG0462.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMAG0460.jpg (178KB - 199 downloads)
Attachments IMAG0461.jpg (177KB - 188 downloads)
Attachments IMAG0462.jpg (174KB - 194 downloads)
jjmuskie
Posted 4/21/2012 10:44 PM (#554846 - in reply to #554837)
Subject: Re: Homeade bumper boards?

wow looks nice. like the tri fold design. I made one a couple years ago out of 1x6 and a 72 metal ruler cut down to 60 and cut at 30inches. hinged it at 30 and milled a slot in the wood so the ruller sits flush to the wood.
knooter
Posted 4/23/2012 4:18 PM (#555207 - in reply to #554837)

Made mine from pine. 1x8" on the bottom, 1x6" on the back. Drew on a ruler with black sharpie and put at least 6 coats of lacquer over it. It goes up to 57.25", which is the inside width of the lower floor of my boat. It is friction fit and hasn't moved in 5 years. I've touched up the numbers and lines once, due to fading. Probably cost twenty bucks to build.
WBL_JL
Posted 4/23/2012 6:19 PM (#555255 - in reply to #555207)

That sounds really cool! You should post a picture on here, I'd be interested in seeing it!!

muskyhunter47
Posted 4/23/2012 7:59 PM (#555280 - in reply to #554837)

i made mine out of aluminium welded it up at work one side is for bait fish other side for muskyes

muskyhunter47
Posted 4/23/2012 8:14 PM (#555283 - in reply to #554837)

i cant upload my pic how do you do it

(IMG_0045.JPG)

(IMG_0047.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0045.JPG (138KB - 216 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0047.JPG (129KB - 187 downloads)
catchandrelease
Posted 4/23/2012 8:21 PM (#555287 - in reply to #554837)

Click "Edit" in the top right corner of the post you previously made. This will bring up the page that you originally posted your message on. Above the "Submit" button, you'll see an option called "Add/Remove Attachments". Click on that and it will send you a page to select the file to upload. From there just find the file you want and click submit.
WBL_JL
Posted 4/23/2012 8:23 PM (#555288 - in reply to #554837)

hit the "reply" button on the bottom right of the typing screen and then check mark the box that says upload a photo after posting, then just choose your picture file. You will probably have to open your picture on your desktop or wherever and do an edit-adjust size, they can only be 200kb or something
addict
Posted 4/23/2012 11:21 PM (#555318 - in reply to #554837)
Subject: RE: Homeade bumper boards?

My word of advice to anyone building one for the first time, or building another one.....compare your ruler to a Stanley tape measure or something you know is accurate.

When I stared the R&D stages of building mine, I bought a sticker tape first and it was off, big time. Bought another of a different brand, and same thing.

Finally went with a cloth sewing tape like you might use for girthing.

I like my final product. It folds, has the hinge right about at 30", which was kinda dumb......since I walleye fish before muskies open. Have to use my other metal ruler that is screwed to my deck for big 'eyes. I think that one maxes at 40". Anyway, was going to go with cedar, and didn't. Think I would next time, since cedar lasts forever, even when wet. Which will happen when you take a chip out of your bump board clearcoat. If you do use the cloth tape method, I'd get some tiny SS nails and nail the cloth tape in place first, checking it for accuracy with a known-to-be accurate measuring device of some sort. As you nail it down, I'd have your epoxy or whatever clearcoat ready and handy. Brush some of the clearcoat BEHIND the cloth tape. As in, between it and the wood. Otherwise you'll get big air bubbles behind the tape.

I think the brand I used was Bondo, believe its made by 3M. Got it at Fleet. Make sure you use PLENTY of hardener. Even go a little strong on it. Otherwise it takes forever to set up and may always be just a little tacky if you're too light on your mixture.

Good Saturday afternoon project out in the man cave listening to a baseball game with the wood stove crankin'. That crap is really smelly. NOT an inside the house job.

-Eric
addict
Posted 4/23/2012 11:38 PM (#555319 - in reply to #554837)

Quick follow up for explanation and then an afterthought about the project in general.

My walleye reference is because any fish that measures 29.5-30.5-ish falls into no-man's-land on my bump board. I cut the sewing tape short so I had plenty of epoxy over and around the end of it where it met the end of the board on the hinge end. Fine for muskies, but not overly great for big walleyes.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd find some cedar, I'd do like jjmuskie did and router in a groove for a metal yardstick type 60" ruler would go, and I'd say screw the epoxy. With cedar you wouldn't need it. Maybe just a quick coat of polyurethane on the wood on either side of the ruler to keep from rubbing slime off the fish. I had no way to do the groove on the first try with the tools I owned, so that's why I did mine as I did.

I used 1x6 for the bottom, and 1x4 for the bump and side. That's plenty of height for even a giant fish.

And buy SS hardware. Everything else will rust out and your board will fall apart eventually. In the meantime, it will leave rust stains on the carpet everywhere its laid. Eventually the clearcoat will get banged up and start to let water in. I put two coats of that heavy duty stuff on mine and just from riding around in the boat, foot traffic, getting stuff dropped on it, etc., mine sucked up some water.
jackson
Posted 4/24/2012 7:57 AM (#555352 - in reply to #554837)

i made my own as well. I found some vinyl material that was 1/4" thick by 8" in width in the siding dept at home dept. Hinged it at 30" and glued some sewing measuring tape on it. Used heavy duty epoxy to glue on the top piece (same material). It's lightweight, it floats, and is certainly waterproof.
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/24/2012 4:17 PM (#555480 - in reply to #555319)

addict - 4/23/2012 11:38 PM  If I had it to do all over again, I'd find some cedar, I'd do like jjmuskie did and router in a groove for a metal yardstick type 60" ruler would go, and I'd say screw the epoxy. With cedar you wouldn't need it.

Here's bump board I made out of cedar about 20 years ago, primarily used for water release. You can see the tape (it was originally glued) from the large piece of lead I added on the opposite side to decrease buoyancy. It still floats, just without the lead it was impossible to slide it under the fish for a measurement in the water.

I just measured it off and use a sharpie with a clear coat over that... the board also worked awesome as a kind of push pole in real shallow water after I reinforced it with a galvanized sheet metal angles.

(mboard.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments mboard.jpg (48KB - 189 downloads)
muskyhunter47
Posted 4/24/2012 6:55 PM (#555514 - in reply to #554837)

it saids my file is to big how do i fix that
sworrall
Posted 4/24/2012 7:37 PM (#555522 - in reply to #554837)

Light Image Resizer 4, free software to resize images. Best here is 640X480.

http://www.obviousidea.com/windows-software/light-image-resizer/
stdevos
Posted 4/24/2012 7:46 PM (#555527 - in reply to #555514)

Here is the one I built this winter, made from cedar 1x6 and a stainless steel hinge. I couldn't decide on a ruler, so I tried my hand at wood burning. I've only ever measured my fish to the nearest half inch, so that's where I made my markings. Rounded off the edges so it's a little more comfortable to handle and then finished it off with a couple coats of stain/polyurethane (after this pic). I think it turned out pretty well and only cost ~$15, SS hinge will kill ya

WBL_JL
Posted 4/24/2012 10:51 PM (#555584 - in reply to #554837)

Nice boards! I got frustrated with the old/bad epoxy mixture on mine, Im going to make a new one.. Ill post it when its done probably by the weekend.
WBL_JL
Posted 4/27/2012 11:43 PM (#556325 - in reply to #554837)

Made the new board tonight! Turned out great, I stuck with my tri-fold idea except used poly-pro .5inch black plastic

(IMAG0674.jpg)

(IMAG0682.jpg)

(IMAG0678.jpg)

(IMAG0677.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMAG0674.jpg (178KB - 199 downloads)
Attachments IMAG0682.jpg (179KB - 222 downloads)
Attachments IMAG0678.jpg (177KB - 198 downloads)
Attachments IMAG0677.jpg (179KB - 197 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)