Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Navionics Marine HD for Android

Message Subject: Navionics Marine HD for Android
tcbetka
Posted 4/13/2012 8:15 PM (#552962)
Subject: Navionics Marine HD for Android

So I got this Toshiba Thrive Android tablet several months ago, but haven't gotten much of a chance to use it yet. I have, but not for anything meaningful. Recently we bought a 17' Lund for fishing inland lakes, and I have ordered some HDS gear. Since I ordered the Navionics Platinum chip for Wisconsin, I thought it would be cool to see what's out there for Android.

So off I go to the Navionics site, and I found out that they have their products out for mobile devices. Lo and behold, there's a version for Android tablets! The HD version was somewhat pricey, but I figured what the heck--it will be good as a back-up. I am still downloading the charts I've requested, but by all accounts...it's COOL!

Does anyone else use these on Android? How about anything else like a marine GPS application...or a weather/charting application? I've had an Android phone for a couple years now, and have used Linux for years--but I am not really "up" on the latest applications in the App Store. So maybe someone can give me a vector towards some useful apps?

Thanks!

TB

EDIT: Oh, this stuff is WAY cool! Google Maps overlays, terrain...the whole nice yards. Of course you need to have an Internet connection to use Google Maps, so that won't help you much on a boat. But for planning and such, I can see that this will be a great tool.
tcbetka
Posted 4/13/2012 8:49 PM (#552971 - in reply to #552962)
Subject: Re: Navionics Marine HD for Android

Ah...I see that the Navionics app is basically a GPS as well. I am connected to my home wifi, so I thought that's how it was getting position data. But I'm reading on TheHullTruth.com where folks are saying that the application will use the GPS from the device while you're out in the field--Google Maps or not.

Cool.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)