Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "When I'm on da wata I don't waste time I fish good spots and place my cast on target and always use da best bait possible" -Al Lindner
- (Added by: bulldawg101)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Fusible film

Message Subject: Fusible film
SolarFall
Posted 8/20/2012 6:04 AM (#579489)
Subject: Fusible film

hey guys got my hands on this new material ( well atleast to me) has anyone else here used this before. its pretty hard to work with cos you have to wrap it around very tightly around the lure with some sort of clips and then heat it up with a heat gun to make it follow the contours of the bait and even out the wrinkles at the same time. even if its abit hard to work with i see alot of potential with it. it sort of reminds me of the flash effect that chrome has.

heres a bait i used to test it with.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_2465.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_2497.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2465.jpg (84KB - 151 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2497.jpg (99KB - 140 downloads)
anzomcik
Posted 8/20/2012 8:33 AM (#579512 - in reply to #579489)
Subject: Re: Fusible film

I think what your talking about is similiar to what Salmo uses to finish there baits, very neat stuff for sure.
MRichardson
Posted 8/20/2012 8:51 AM (#579517 - in reply to #579489)
Subject: RE: Fusible film

That looks great, nice work!  I’ve worked with some of these films before and had some decent results.  http://www.alsacorp.com/products/sheetingfx/sheetingfx.htm

I’d like to try some of this stuff  http://www.alsacorp.com/products/sheetingfx/3d.abalone.htm

SolarFall
Posted 8/20/2012 10:52 AM (#579549 - in reply to #579489)

anzomcik - 8/20/2012 8:33 AM

I think what your talking about is similiar to what Salmo uses to finish there baits, very neat stuff for sure.

hmm i dont really know, it could be but i've never taken a salmo appart to check that out.

@ yeah have to agree that abalone imitation looks pretty cool i wonder tough it might be hard to work with that stuff since they only have 10 or 15mm thick sheets the stuff i have is more like 0.05mm (if my memory serves me right) thick so its fairly easy to work with compared to those products that you posted. i'm just guessing tough since i've never used them.
MRichardson
Posted 8/20/2012 11:12 AM (#579558 - in reply to #579549)

It’s 10 -15 mil thick.  That converts to .254 - .381 mm thick.  I have the chrome stuff.  It’s very stretchy and then heat helps get out the wrinkles.  I applied some on a bait and then went onto something else and never finished it.  A few weeks later I noticed the areas where I stretched it the most started to peel away.  So the Alsa stuff does have some memory and needs to be epoxy coated right away. 

SolarFall
Posted 8/20/2012 11:19 AM (#579562 - in reply to #579489)

sounds interesting i might give it a go and buy some to test for my self to see if its any good
muskyslayer96
Posted 8/20/2012 3:16 PM (#579631 - in reply to #579489)

Solar,
Very cool.........could it be glued in place first or would the heating/shrinking mess it up?
I picked up some pearl foil for gift wrapping that has some similar qualities but I don't think you heat it.
So when you have it heated does it "melt" to the lure or do you need to epoxy/glue it in place.
Cool cool, always love seeing your posts

MS
SolarFall
Posted 8/20/2012 3:35 PM (#579635 - in reply to #579489)

you kinda have to do the gluing and heating up at the same time but you have to be careful not to heat it up too much or else the glue under it might start to bobble and that wont look too good. the stuff sort of does melt and shrinks up abit too and that helps in evening out the wrinkles that you might have on the bait when you have the film clamped on.
Beaver
Posted 8/24/2012 8:34 PM (#580696 - in reply to #579635)

I'd throw it just like that. That subtle, pearly flash looks like almost any silver or white baitfish that swims.
Can't wait to see what becomes of it.
Beav

MR, I checked the site, and see they have sprayable, stick-on and heat fuse.....that is some amazing stuff. Costly, but it will make some amazing lures. I can see it now.

Edited by Beaver 8/24/2012 8:40 PM
Posted 9/3/2012 11:59 AM (#582274 - in reply to #579489)
Subject: RE: Fusible film

DUDE YOU ARE INTO YOUR OWN CATEGORY
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)