Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Knot 2 Kinky knots?

Message Subject: Knot 2 Kinky knots?
esox1980
Posted 3/29/2012 8:02 PM (#549412)
Subject: Knot 2 Kinky knots?

Has anyone used this product or similar tieable nickel titanium leader? I'm playing around with some hybrid leader ideas and I can't seem to find a knot to work. If anyone has a knot that works let me hear it. I tried all the suggested knots and none will work with the 100lb. I feel like I just wasted 30 bucks.
blackriver
Posted 3/29/2012 8:16 PM (#549417 - in reply to #549412)
Subject: Re: Knot 2 Kinky knots?

I tried all the suggested knots also.....none of them worked. Tried emailing the company to see if they could suggest another knot and never even got a reply back. I felt like I wasted $30 also
rocko
Posted 3/29/2012 9:03 PM (#549428 - in reply to #549412)
Subject: RE: Knot 2 Kinky knots?

I have used titanium the last couple of years and they have worked great. I use a single wrap clinch knot. While it is a bit "fritzie" to tie, they have held up. Here is the extra step, though. Find some very small diameter shrink tubing and place it along the leader before you tie. Pull it up an over the knot and heat it up, including some of the tag end in the wrap. It shrinks around the knot and swivel and will prevent the knot from ever loosening. I have been using the 75 lbs. test, and that may explain an easier knot. I have caught a good number of fish with these and no failures, or kinks. Bullet proof so far. There was a good pike article in In-Fisherman last year on titanium leaders that might help also.

Good Luck,
Rocko
catchandrelease
Posted 3/29/2012 9:54 PM (#549456 - in reply to #549412)

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Lee Tauchen did a segment for BigFish365 about tying a titanium leader to the mainline. I believe it's an Albright knot to the mainline and a clinch knot to the snap. Here's the video from their YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBL94A4CHMI&list=UUF5XWzKjB9-eP7POaN...
MuskieSwede
Posted 3/30/2012 10:24 AM (#549534 - in reply to #549412)

A two turn clinch should do it
esox1980
Posted 3/30/2012 10:56 AM (#549543 - in reply to #549534)

Thanks for the help. I have been testing out a two and three turn clinch but I just can't get out of the mind set of having a knot looking like its not completely formed like with mono or braid. It is strong but I wish it could be finished and cinched all the way down. The Albright does come out well.
tuffy1
Posted 3/30/2012 12:14 PM (#549555 - in reply to #549543)

Another vote for the albrite. It's an easy knot to try, and strong as well. Good for tying main line to your leader.
Junk
Posted 4/4/2012 3:05 PM (#550740 - in reply to #549412)

After doing a thread search on this product I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling ripped off. I purchased the 100lb and I can get the double clinch knot to hold on the terminal end but not completely form. The Albright on the other hand is failing me repeatedly. The tension from the Albright on my fluro leader snaps the wire with less than 80lbs. The kinky wire breaks like clockwork, even before stretching! I am getting the same results using a uni to uni. I highly advise everyone using this product to test before using in the field, if you get the results like I am you will be throwing it in the trash. Great product in theory but I feel ripped as well.
Posted 4/5/2012 3:35 PM (#551077 - in reply to #549412)

Look into the Magnum Tie Fast Knot Tyer. I had trouble with heavy flourocarbon leaders and getting a good knot to hold. These make really nice nail knots and its super easy.

http://www.flyfishinggearandaccessories.com/product.php?p=431

This video is using the standard size tool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b5b_32Cexs
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)