Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Working Together Sets Us Apart

Message Subject: Working Together Sets Us Apart
Independent Voice
Posted 3/30/2012 11:23 AM (#549546 - in reply to #549541)
Subject: RE: Working Together Sets Us Apart

Verticle holds? MI has a Kept(killed) fish category in the lunge log.

Which is largely maintained for historical reasons. Keep in mind that the Lunge Log has existed since before releasing all fish was popular. The release rates for Muskies Inc members is extremely high, in my chapter it's been 100% every year that I've been involved. If it weren't for those historical records, there would likely be wide-spread support for ending the "kept" category.
I see a difference between allowing a kept fish to be included in the database and rewarding people who harvest fish by publishing their picture. Business decision (MHM) vs conservation decision (MI). People copy what they see on TV or online or in magazines, especially those who are new to the sport. Vertical holds are known to be bad for the fish and keeping them is bad for the fishery. If you want to promote fish-friendly practices, it's important to show people handling fish properly and releasing them safely.
These are the kinds of value-based issues that distinguish Muskies Inc from Musky Hunter. It would be awesome if MHM was willing to stop showing pictures of vertical holds and kept fish.
Shep
Posted 3/30/2012 11:51 AM (#549549 - in reply to #549546)

So, the last muskie entered in the Kept category was when? 15 years ago? 5? 1?
MartinTD
Posted 3/30/2012 11:54 AM (#549550 - in reply to #549546)

Independent Voice - 3/30/2012 11:23 AM
These are the kinds of value-based issues that distinguish Muskies Inc from Musky Hunter. It would be awesome if MHM was willing to stop showing pictures of vertical holds and kept fish.

Really? That could be something for MI to bring up in negotiations. Hardly a deal-breaker. Almost laughable that it was brought up. There are plenty of pics on here and tackle manufacturer's sites showing vertical holds, some even with a Boga grip. Proper handling techniques all around could be in MI's very first section of MHM. As if they've never had that content in the magazine before. Pretty weak IMO.
Slamr
Posted 3/30/2012 12:37 PM (#549561 - in reply to #549550)
Subject: Re: Working Together Sets Us Apart

Vertical holds are known to be bad for the fish

*so does putting hooks in fish's faces, dragging them through the water as lactic acid accumulates in their bodies, then pulling a lot of slime off in the net, then holding them up for a pic....

Just sayin.
Posted 3/30/2012 1:11 PM (#549574 - in reply to #549561)

Slamr - 3/30/2012 12:37 PM

Vertical holds are known to be bad for the fish

*so does putting hooks in fish's faces, dragging them through the water as lactic acid accumulates in their bodies, then pulling a lot of slime off in the net, then holding them up for a pic....

Just sayin.

As well as pulling them up out of the net VERTICALLY only to hold them horizontally for a picture. Then again maybe that is acceptable since there is no "proof" of you doing it.

I'm with you Slamr.
Homer
Posted 3/30/2012 1:19 PM (#549579 - in reply to #548769)

I think fish are only hurt by livewell, vertical holds, bogas grips, and spears. I think everything else is healthy for them. H
Independent Voice
Posted 3/30/2012 1:23 PM (#549580 - in reply to #548769)

Perhaps my point was unclear, it's not helpful to get bogged down debating vertical holds.

Conservation groups are different from private businesses like magazines or websites or tackle companies in that they should present and encourage the "best practice" and not a "good enough" standard. If not Muskies Inc, then who?

It's perfectly fine for a private business to make decisions based on profit. Sometimes those decisions will match conservation efforts, but at other times they will be different from a conservation-first point of view. There are plenty of people in Muskies Inc who care very strongly about issues such as that one, enough so that a few years ago Muskie magazine changed its editorial position on what photographs would be published. Muskie magazine made this change in response to demands from Muskies Inc members.

Whether or any one person cares about that example doesn't matter. The point is that there are lots of influential members who do care about it and other potential conflicts of interest. These people are on both the parent Board and in the various chapters. There would be a hue and cry about "selling out" such that it would never happen. Muskies Inc needs to maintain it's own voice, it just needs a more cost-effective way to do so.
Shep
Posted 3/30/2012 3:39 PM (#549613 - in reply to #549580)

Independent Voice - 3/30/2012 1:23 PM

There would be a hue and cry about "selling out" such that it would never happen.

Let's keep doing the same thing, and expecting different results.

As was mentioned before. I bet MHM would change it's policy about publishing verticle hold pictures if the dialog got to that point. But maybe that is a moot point, because other than a cradle, I have yet to see any fish brought out of a net not verticle
AMM
Posted 3/31/2012 11:48 AM (#549730 - in reply to #548769)

I really think everybody should put all the bickering aside and think about the future of the resource. Like it or not, Muskies Inc has undeniably done(and continues to do) GREAT things for muskie fishing accross the entire country. If you fish muskies, you've benefitted from Muskies Inc -PERIOD! Join MI and support your sport!
Like him or not, Keyes is nothing more than a sponsor being used to get MI noticed by people who aren't aware of it. He's not the "face of" or even a player in the workings of MI. The only goal of this partnership is to strengthen MI's ability to protect and improve muskie fishing. Personal opinions of him should not change your support for improving our fisheries.
Musky Hunter Magazine is probably the most widely known, far-reaching avenue in the musky world. MI and MHM joining together would be a great idea and should be considered further. If magazine content, and the number of issues, is the biggest concern how about going to 5 or 6 issues of MI's Muskie magazine along with the 6 issues of Musky Hunter?
Scott
Posted 3/31/2012 2:49 PM (#549751 - in reply to #548769)

Man,

Lots of opinions on Keyes.... Never met the guy and enjoy the show very much (when it's not on my home water). Ha! I don't know all about his Facebook Page but he reminds me of a down to earth guy who just loves to fish and by teaming up with MI hasn't that increased the visability? I've seen worse fishing shows with some guests who aren't very creditable or have a tarnished image so it shouldn't be the point of MHM and MI joining forces.

Very interesting topic..
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)