Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Muskies Inc Members?

Muskies Inc Members?
OptionResults
Member297 Votes - [71.74%]
Non Member115 Votes - [27.78%]
Unaware of Muskies Inc.2 Votes - [0.48%]

Message Subject: Muskies Inc Members?
FAT-SKI
Posted 3/29/2012 9:29 AM (#549268 - in reply to #549255)
Subject: Re: Muskies Inc Members?

Though I am a new member as for only a few weeks. I can't argue that MI has done more for the Musky fisheries then any other organization in the country, and if It was not for them I don't think that any of us would be having the same success. Thank you MI for keeping my obsession in the front of my mind.

That being said. I am going to try and help with my local chapter as much as I can. I want to work just as hard as they did so I can earn the privilege to fish for these monsters instead of just thinking it is my right to do so, and refusing to care about how they got there or why. fishing is a privilege. I have learned a lot so far from some of the guys in my chapter. though it is an up hill battle, I believe in my heart and in my mind that if we all work together we can change the amount of people willing to put in the effort and the work to continue to help our fisheries. Every major organization has its issues and if it was not an up hill battle there would be nothing for us to fight for. Though I enjoy the "easy button" in some cases. I would rather bust my butt to change the things I feel need to, keep the things that are working and have fun doing it all at the same time. I enjoy a good "challunge"... What kind of a world would we live in today if everyone was just handed everything they ever wanted. We as humans have to earn the right to be here in this world, it separates the good from the bad and the strong from the weak. I can't think of a better cause to stand for, to teach my kids and learn a thing or two myself.

Looking forward to working with all of you in this wonderful world we all like to call "lake x"

Edited by FAT-SKI 3/29/2012 9:34 AM
Shep
Posted 3/29/2012 9:37 AM (#549271 - in reply to #549122)
Subject: RE: Muskies Inc Members?

Guest - 3/28/2012 2:22 PM

The Fargo Moorhead Chapter membership is at it's highest level ever.

I can't comment on the org as a whole.

JS

How many would that be, John?

I believe Milwaukee Chapter was at 350-400 about 10 years ago. Not sure when the decline started, but I do know that the April Fund Raising Banquet was a huge success, and that was the only time you saw a lot(most) of the members. Monthly meetings usually had about 50-75 attending.

As for why some people don't join, or leave, or bounce back and forth? Because of statements like you "owe" MI. "There is no reason not to join", "It doesn't matter if you think we should not publish the magazine", and "we'd lose editorial control if we joined with MHM".

Muskie anglers don't "owe" anything to MI. Has MI done great things for the sport we love? Yes. Do we thank the founders, and the ideas they helped make reality? Yes. But don't tell us we "owe" MI, or we are somehow lesser Muskie anglers.
Posted 3/29/2012 1:22 PM (#549328 - in reply to #546576)

We have around 200 members.

I guess I don't recall anyone saying that others "owe" MI. I do think without any doubt ,that anyone who fishes in MN and catches a muskie should realize that those opportunities are largely there because of what MI has done MN. The DNR would not and could not have made MN what it is without MI.

As far as your opinion on not having editorial control, not sure why that is controversial. I can't think of one other conservation org that wouldn't want that with it's publications.

JS
Erik J
Posted 3/29/2012 2:36 PM (#549358 - in reply to #549271)

Shep, you're absolutely right, nobody "owes" MI anything. It's out of the goodness of all the volunteers hearts that makes MI tick.

So allow me to re-phrase: Anyone who fishes for muskies should realize the reason alot of fisheries are so good, is due in part to the efforts of Muskies Inc. And as much as I appreciate you thanking them, I just think a membership would be the ultimate thank you. Whether people agree or disagree with some of the things they do. The bottom line is MI is good for muskie fishing.

By being a member, I'm giving back to the organization that makes the sport, that my family and I enjoy, that much better. And, it's good muskie karma :<)

Erik Jacobson
Erik J
Posted 3/29/2012 2:41 PM (#549360 - in reply to #549268)

FAT-SKI,

YOU ARE THE MAN!

It's guys like you that will continue to make MI great.

Hat's off to you.

Rick W
Posted 3/29/2012 4:32 PM (#549378 - in reply to #546576)

I am Muskies Inc
Erik J
Posted 3/30/2012 10:53 AM (#549542 - in reply to #549265)

Steve,

Guy Frank was integral to the whole thing too, along with some good advice from George Wahl about taking over Little Jacks as the meeting place after the Twin Cities chapter decided to move their meetings South. I'm pretty sure that's how we came up with the name "North Metro" Chapter too. Jim Shannon has been on that board ever since. The only original board member for 20 years. Good job Jim! Hopefully see you at the NMC banquet tomorrow. Coon Rapids VFW 4:30 social, 6:00 fish dinner.

Erik
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)