Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "If you want to be happy for an hour get intoxicated. If you want to be happy for a week get married. If you want to be happy forever learn to fish" - esoxmn's signature on MH board
- (Added by: BALDY)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Where in WI to test prototype baits?

Message Subject: Where in WI to test prototype baits?
muskyslayer96
Posted 2/23/2012 6:14 PM (#540997)
Subject: Where in WI to test prototype baits?

I apologize if this seems like a weird question, but does anyone here in WI (especially Madison area) know of a place that will let you test baits? I'm thinking a hotel with a pool that will let you go in after hours?
I only have time to test new prototypes in the off season as I'm fishing in the spring. Even if there is open water, there is the closed season and I doubt the DNR would be lenient "i was only testing a new lure I made"

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

MS
ShaneW
Posted 2/23/2012 6:43 PM (#541013 - in reply to #540997)
Subject: RE: Where in WI to test prototype baits?

Surface baits? There's a pond with a natural spring here in Verona that is open year round. It's about 2/3 of a cast length wide and about 3' deep. Pm me if you want directions.

Shane
CheapTrix
Posted 2/23/2012 9:48 PM (#541075 - in reply to #541013)
Subject: RE: Where in WI to test prototype baits?

It's a short haul, but you could cross the Illinois border and test on the Rock River in South Beloit. The season is open year round.
wiswimbait
Posted 2/23/2012 11:56 PM (#541109 - in reply to #540997)
Subject: Re: Where in WI to test prototype baits?

I would just throw them on the rock river in Wi. Pike and bass are open all year. I throw decent sized baits for spring pike and get checked by wardens all the time never had a problem. Unless your going to be testing really big baits or you are catching muskies and don't stop or trying to catch one you see you'll be fine.
knooter
Posted 2/24/2012 7:30 AM (#541142 - in reply to #540997)

Most hotel pools close at 10 pm or so. Some smooth talking or a small bribe should get you access to the pool once the guests are gone. Also, check some of the local schools. If they have a pool, you may be able to sweet talk a custodian.
h2os2t
Posted 2/24/2012 9:25 AM (#541172 - in reply to #541142)

It is legal if you have bent over hooks. Can't take them off for the balance but if bent down to the point that they can't catch a fish you are just throwing for practice. Talked to a few wardens about it but if you wanted to be safer call or email your local DNR contacts yourself.
jdsplasher
Posted 2/24/2012 9:25 PM (#541415 - in reply to #541172)

Lake Michigan is open year round. Why not test baits there???

Edited by jdsplasher 2/24/2012 9:33 PM
box
Posted 2/25/2012 10:24 PM (#541630 - in reply to #541415)

I made friends with the night manager of a local fitness center and he let me toss some baits in the pool. He was so interested I actually took him out an he's turning into a Muskie nut.
Muskiemetal
Posted 2/27/2012 10:55 AM (#541845 - in reply to #540997)

I used to go down to the Kenosha harbor and cast, open year round. Or Milwaukee harbor. Inland I wouldn't do anything until season open, even if you claim to be fishing for pike, the wardens are smarter than that. Get to an indoor pool.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)