Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> RIVER MUSKY

Message Subject: RIVER MUSKY
shenandoah river man
Posted 2/16/2012 1:57 PM (#539166)
Subject: RIVER MUSKY

I am new to this forum and first post. I am mostly a bass angler but when the temp. here on the shen. river start to cool off in the the fall or in the early spring I do some musky fishing .The D.G.I.F. stocked musky in the shen. r. several years ago but they will not reproduce so all you catch are from 30 in. and up in size. I have only started fishing for them last year but did catch 5(3 36in. and 12lbs.each- one 42in. and 18lb.- one 47in. and 20lb. last year. Caught all on a creature bait t-rig 20lb.line(hooked all with hook only in mouth not line and now have changed to 85 braid). As water cools off (now 48) what should I use or will creature bait fished slower be o.k. I know I am a rookie and need all the help I can get??? As I do with all bass I practice c.p.r. and release all the musky I have caught.

Edited by shenandoah river man 2/16/2012 2:07 PM
Posted 2/16/2012 2:28 PM (#539171 - in reply to #539166)
Subject: RE: RIVER MUSKY

Sounds like you're doing ok for yourself so far. I'd bet your presentation would still work ok in the cooler water so I'd keep at it with the creature rig. You could slow it down a bit if you think you need to but don't get caught thinking you have to just because the water is cooler, stay close to what has been working for you.

I really would encourage you to start using a steel leader though, musky teeth can cut braid just as easy as monofilament and ya know how it goes, it'll happen one day when you finally hook that monster you've been looking for out there. As those fish keep growing and you keep getting better at catching them, you're guaranteed to be bit off sooner or later if you don't put some steel in front of your bait.
newmuskyz
Posted 2/16/2012 5:46 PM (#539209 - in reply to #539166)

check your pm's in your inbox. sent you one.
cast10K
Posted 2/19/2012 1:00 PM (#539719 - in reply to #539166)

If sworral doesn't chime in you might want to pm him, he's a top creature/jig guy and can help you get them rigged right for muskies.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)