Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 6 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Thoughts on TranX

Message Subject: Thoughts on TranX
Mr Musky
Posted 1/18/2012 8:44 PM (#533731 - in reply to #532751)
Subject: Re: Thoughts on TranX

I look at it this way how many hunters will spend $1000 on a deer rifle or slug gun to hunt ONE week out of the year or even less? A quality musky reel you will get to use 8 months out of the year in WI!
bturg
Posted 1/18/2012 10:37 PM (#533738 - in reply to #532751)

Economics discussion

Lets see, spend $500 on a trip....you have fun the money is gone. Okay I have done that, many times...I get the concept

Spend $500 on a reel that you will use for quite a while and still is worth something whenever you want to sell it...maybe not all of what you paid but a reasonable valuation if it is a quality product...( like used guns...quality sells, junk is junk) and you got to use it while you had it so partial depreciation.

One isn't right and one isn't wrong but comparing an investment in tackle to expenses on a trip is not a direct comparison, apples to apples...unless it's your last $500 ....in which case either expenditure seems a little excessive.

Absolute Fact:
In certain situations the gear will help you catch more fish...if you still question that you have either not been in that situation (yet) OR were not aware of it while you were in it...because you didn't have the gear to find out.

Having the gear is a personal/asset/need/tactical and personal issue to deal with and not everyone will have the same results but to argue that it never matters is .....kinda like saying I only need a stick and twine...it matters on some level.
esoxaddict
Posted 1/18/2012 11:33 PM (#533742 - in reply to #532751)

Not disagreeing with you Bob. But coming from a place where money was no object and now finding myself in a place where money is the deciding factor in my fishing? There was a time when I would have bought this reel sight unseen. Hell, I probably would have bought two of them, for exactly what you describe -- the situation where it's going to put a fish in the boat I ordinarily would not have caught. But then you can buy a few days at a lodge, drive a few hundred miles further north, buy another combo and have a throwback lure ready to go, hire a guide, or spend quite a few Sundays on your local lake for $500; all of which are likely to = more fish at the end of the season. $500 will buy you enough gas to get to Canada and back.
depoms2003
Posted 1/19/2012 5:00 AM (#533749 - in reply to #532751)
Subject: RE: Thoughts on TranX

it's obvious ,the marketing have been done very well
i am sure this reel work like a charm but the thing that bugging me is when some guy start to tell that reel is gonna put more fish in the boat.i dont know who have put these theories in your heads?

imo reel preference is something personal.same thing for your love for the marvelous eggies
: )

slamr i think you have been teased.
that reel like every other shimano reel have not been builded especially for musky.
saltwater purposes first!
here is some good read

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/pro...

QuickSet
Posted 1/19/2012 7:49 AM (#533758 - in reply to #533742)

finding myself in a place where money is the deciding factor in my fishing?

If that's the case it means _your_ finances don't support buying this reel.
That's completely different from whether or not the TranX is worth $500. It is.

As for catching more fish? Speed's a trigger, but I already have a Trinidad for speed. However, if it makes casting easier I will make more casts in a day instead of picking out backlashes, etc. Mulitplied over the course of a year that means more fish.
kodiak
Posted 1/19/2012 9:37 AM (#533771 - in reply to #532751)

i would like to try one.
bturg
Posted 1/19/2012 10:44 AM (#533784 - in reply to #532751)

Total undiscused side bar: The level wind and better cast control gave me about a 10-15% casting distance advantage vs the Trinidads as I could wail on it with no worries about backlashes.

And D...03 is right Shimano makes reels...not muskie reels. This one just happens to address some of our issues quite well.

My reference to gear making a difference is a general statement, specificly this reel does some things better than other "speed" or "power" reels....if you don't have a reel capable of generating speed it means that you will/could miss out on some opportunities requiring that aspect of presentation That is the big view, mine at least.

The reels actual performance is not conjecture or speculation on my part....I tested both models for a week fishing with them extensivly. I have TE's, Lucanus, 14 and 16's, Saltist 20's, old 70's 7000's, Diawa 3000's and Curado's in my boat to test against. So while my statements may still be an opinion.... at least its an educated one vs pure speculation.
chris riebe
Posted 1/19/2012 11:25 AM (#533791 - in reply to #532751)

The fact is this reel is 20oz and a 400 te is 12.8oz. The tranx is still awsome in my opinion and I will be buying one but I don't burn a bucktail all day so I think I will be using my te more often. If shimano would have made the tranx in a 400 model instead of a 500 this thing would have been a home run. After we all run out and buy one they probably will come out with a 400 model and everyone will be peeed they have the wrong size for what we do!!
RStien321
Posted 1/19/2012 12:48 PM (#533818 - in reply to #533791)

The truth of that matter though is that a tall spool is required to get pickup while keeping the gear ratio under 7. To get a Calcutta 400TE up to a 40"+ pickup would require at least an 8:1 gear ratio.... The beefiness of a construction becomes a necessity for long term durability and performance.

I'm not saying it isn't possible for a smaller reel to come out that does what we need for large bucktails, but I'm not holding my breath either.

chris riebe - 1/19/2012 11:25 AM

The fact is this reel is 20oz and a 400 te is 12.8oz. The tranx is still awsome in my opinion and I will be buying one but I don't burn a bucktail all day so I think I will be using my te more often. If shimano would have made the tranx in a 400 model instead of a 500 this thing would have been a home run. After we all run out and buy one they probably will come out with a 400 model and everyone will be peeed they have the wrong size for what we do!!
jackson
Posted 1/19/2012 12:53 PM (#533819 - in reply to #533731)

Mr Musky - 1/18/2012 8:44 PM

I look at it this way how many hunters will spend $1000 on a deer rifle or slug gun to hunt ONE week out of the year or even less? A quality musky reel you will get to use 8 months out of the year in WI!

the diff is, a rifle is still worth money during it's lifetime which is longer than most people will live. Guns have gone way up in value lately. My rifles will be handed down, i doubt i would buy a tranx and plan to hand it down 20 years from now.
Flambeauski
Posted 1/19/2012 12:55 PM (#533820 - in reply to #532751)

I've never used a Trinidad but the NON levelwind reels I've used outcast a levelwind by 5-10% and outcast a disengaging levelwind by about 10-15%. Obviously the levelwind will make the TranX more versatile as far as ripping cranks and jerkbaits than a non levelwind HS reel, but I can't imagine it will improve casting distance.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 1/19/2012 4:09 PM (#533864 - in reply to #532751)

On my Trinidad 16NA it was rated at 46" of line pickup WITH A FULL SPOOL and I never had more then 75% full of line on that reel, so I was getting maybe 34"-38" of line pickup. I had to use a lite tip of a rod so I would not backlash so much which suck on the 8 and if I used a XXH rod I would backlash every 20 or so casts, plus always looking at the spool to make sure the line was not going to one side which meant I was not watching my bait. So the TranX with a level wind and spool brakes will be so much more for me, now I can use a XXH rod for DC10-13 and not worry about backlashes and now have a rod that will not fold over on the 8.
On casting of a Trinidad I never did a hard cast it was more of a soft casts, now with a TranX I should be about cast as hard as I want with no fear of backlashing. So I would say YES that a Tranx would out cast a Trinidad.
KSauers
Posted 1/19/2012 5:00 PM (#533874 - in reply to #532751)

bturg,

How did each of the ratios compare to a 400 te which is what i have been using? I have been thinking of the power ratio as opposed to speed.
bturg
Posted 1/19/2012 6:51 PM (#533889 - in reply to #532751)

My added distance casting was totally based on being able to cast with zero fear of backlash...so very aggressive. With the Trinidad (even using them daily for 5 years) I just have to a little defence in my game.

The power/slower model has considerably more power than a 400 even though it pulls about 6" more line per turn...bigger spool, bigger gears, bigger handle = more leverage. If a person throws 13's a lot and/or has good hand speed to burn smaller blades when required the slower one is a good call. It still pulls more line than most at about 31" per turn

I am not an engineer but R Stein is and he and I have talked reel ratios, spool diameters, lever (handle) lengths etc for hours while fishing. The exact mechanical advantages to all these variable is endless In the end the person using the reel is the engine driving it... and matching your style of reeling to the equipment is important to get the most out of it. Resale on Shimano stuff is pretty decent...not as good as a gun but they generally last better than most. I had a original release 400TE (ten years old ?) that finally started sounding a little cranky....$30 bucks for a trip to Shimano and it came back with new gears and another prospective ten years of life.....pretty good deal.
Posted 1/20/2012 4:42 PM (#534052 - in reply to #532813)

h2o. - 1/14/2012 10:16 AM

Worthless at any price because it doesn't come in a left hand wind. I actually sold 2 of my 61 Toro's and a TE401 because I was naive enough to think that Shimano finally started to care about their customers.

I'll stick to my Saltiga 30L and my 2 Toro's, that's all I need.

Shimano should start listening to their customers more, and not their pro's, that's what James at TI does, and look at the great things that are coming from him.

So TI makes lefty reels now?
gtp888
Posted 1/24/2012 8:39 AM (#534570 - in reply to #532751)

Has anyone thrown a heavier bait with this reel, something other than a crank or bucktail, something like a Magdawg or Pounder?  If so, does the added weight of the bait make the handle more likely to turn during the cast and engage the gears?  Thanks.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 6 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)