Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Frabil

Message Subject: Frabil
Net
Posted 1/18/2012 7:21 AM (#533569)
Subject: Frabil

Whats the model number of the light weight net Joe Bucher was talking about and also is it available now? Thanks
Posted 1/18/2012 7:28 AM (#533570 - in reply to #533569)
Subject: RE: Frabil

Its the Conservation Series #9530. I was originally pretty interested in this net til I examined it up close at R&H's. The netting on the bag is pretty thin...probably pretty rough on the fins.
Slamr
Posted 1/18/2012 10:08 AM (#533589 - in reply to #533570)

Guest - 1/18/2012 7:28 AM

Its the Conservation Series #9530. I was originally pretty interested in this net til I examined it up close at R&H's. The netting on the bag is pretty thin...probably pretty rough on the fins.

The netting is thinner, but still coated. The reason this net looks like something I might buy is that it's SO MUCH lighter that I feel pretty strongly that I can net a fish much faster either alone or fishing with someone which will eventually lead to less stress on the fish. Less time trying to guide the fish to the net, a much easier time netting a fish when alone, and the material will be easier to work with when the fish is in the net and I'm trying to get to the unhooking part.
curleytail
Posted 1/18/2012 10:34 AM (#533593 - in reply to #533589)

Slamr - 1/18/2012 10:08 AM

Guest - 1/18/2012 7:28 AM

The netting is thinner, but still coated. The reason this net looks like something I might buy is that it's SO MUCH lighter that I feel pretty strongly that I can net a fish much faster either alone or fishing with someone which will eventually lead to less stress on the fish. Less time trying to guide the fish to the net, a much easier time netting a fish when alone, and the material will be easier to work with when the fish is in the net and I'm trying to get to the unhooking part.

A lighter net would be a benefit no doubt, but why do you say the material will be easier to work with when the fish is in the net? I have the heavy coated Power Catch, and fish rarely (almost never) tangle up in the netting and hooks almost never stick to it either. Very easy to work on the fish in the net. Anytime somebody on TV uses a net with a lighter mesh (like Beckman or the net Bucher uses), I shake my head at the big snarly birds nest that's made as the fish thrashes.

Alone or netting with a partner, I guide the fish to the net. Anytime you're trying to chase a fish with a net can end up badly in my opinion. I'm far from the biggest guy around and have no problem handling my Powercatch. I'll take a little weight for a fish and user friendly bag, but maybe this Conservation series is on to something. Won't know until some people use them.

Tucker
Slamr
Posted 1/18/2012 10:37 AM (#533594 - in reply to #533569)
Subject: Re: Frabil

We agree on one thing, Tucker: we wont know until some people use them.
tuffy1
Posted 1/20/2012 8:55 AM (#533963 - in reply to #533594)
Subject: Re: Frabil

My concerns on the net were the fish tangling up in it as well due to the lighter netting, coated or not. I'd be curious to see how this works out as I do a lot of solo fishing up north and even though the Kahuna makes netting fish solo easier due to the large size of the net, but it's still a beast to handle when you have a fish on and are trying to manipulate.

I'll have to watch Joe's show closely to see how the fish wrap up in the thing.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)