Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: " Your'e about as usefull as a poopie flavored lollipop"
- (Added by: Fishen-ski's)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Flashabou Spinnerbaits

Message Subject: Flashabou Spinnerbaits
MRichardson
Posted 12/16/2011 12:17 PM (#529003)
Subject: Flashabou Spinnerbaits

Hi, my daughter is starting to show a little less interest in the crappies and more interest in casting for the big ones.  I plan to tie some smaller ¾ ounce Colorado bladed safety pin style spinnerbaits over the winter.  I’ll probably do some deer and marabou ones, but I’m concerned that if I tie flahabou it may tangle in the blades?  I noticed there aren’t too many flashabou spinnerbaits out there and I’m wonder if tangling is an issue?  Thanks

psv
Posted 12/16/2011 3:52 PM (#529043 - in reply to #529003)
Subject: RE: Flashabou Spinnerbaits

Mike
Do you want  to make full flashabou skirt or combination of flashabou with something else ?
I use saltwater flashabou (1/16 cut) with Starflash silicone or marabou.  I also use Dyed Pearl Flashabou. No problem with tangling.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/SM-760130-0000?source=google_base&kw=SM-760130-0000

Let me know if you'll need more information

MRichardson
Posted 12/18/2011 5:57 PM (#529266 - in reply to #529043)

Hey thanks for the link.  I’d like to make some all flashabou.  My original thought is to take a bunch 7”ish long and tie it somewhat near the middle on the back of the head.  I’ve done well on my lake with the double Colorado bladed spinnerbaits like CJ’s and I guess my concern is if the flashabou will tangle in the blades with some of it being reverse tied.  I think before I buy a bunch of colors I’ll start with one and see if I like how they run.

Thanks again

Krazyk
Posted 12/18/2011 8:12 PM (#529282 - in reply to #529003)

Don't worry about it tangling as I've been making Flashabou spinnerbaits in all sizes from 1/8 to 2 1/2 oz. for the last 3 years and they look good and are very durable. Just remember to leave about a extra inch in the front because when it folds back from the water pressure it will then be even or little longer then the under wrapped material.You can also trim the finished product as needed.You can really trick out the baits using hololgraphic blades like BPS sells for the walleye guys.
psv
Posted 12/19/2011 7:00 PM (#529432 - in reply to #529003)

Mike,

I decided to make couple 1oz spinnerbaits with full flashabou skirts after your question, using different type of materials just out of curiosity. 

Below are the pictures what I came up with:

1. Illusion Black/Orange - tied with 2 layers of flashabou: Hedron Orange dyed pearl flashabou underneath and Hedron Orange Saltwater flashabou reversed tied on top. It looks like ballerina skirt, but it's moving really great in the water (I tested it in the bathtub). No problem with tangling at all.

Photobucket

2. Firetiger/Gold - reversed tied with similar to Hedron Magnum Flashabou. This type works even better. Again no problem with tangling.

Photobucket

I do like how the skirts perform in the water. Tons of sparkle!

They have different action. If I can compare them with crankbaits then first skirt remind me Jake wide wobble, second one works more like Grandma (tight vibration).

It was fun to make them and thank you for inspiration!

MRichardson
Posted 12/20/2011 10:48 AM (#529497 - in reply to #529003)

Thanks guys. Wow those look great!  Nice work. I like the way the wider saltwater flashabou looks.  I’ll get some of that to mix with the magnum.  I’ll have to use that “ballerina skirt” description when my daughter and I make these.  Thank you for the inspiration.  Do you thread tie them or use a zip tie or skirt band?  I have thread and head cement already, but zip ties look pretty easy to do.  I’m starting to put my shopping list together for Moore’s and noticed they have a magnum flashabou color called “perch”.  I can’t find a pic of it anywhere on the net.  Did they just premix all the appropriate perch colors together?  That would be nice.  I found this link that has a nice chart for sizing all the components if anybody else is interested http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/download/spinnerbait.pdf

Thanks

psv
Posted 12/20/2011 4:23 PM (#529549 - in reply to #529003)
Subject: Re: Flashabou Spinnerbaits

Thank you, Mike
I tied flashabou by small 4-5 batches first to make a full skirt, applied head cement 3 times (Loon, in my case) then after it's fully finished I use small zip tie for more security.
I've never seen perch magnum flashabou. Might be new color or mix as you mentioned.
Should be fun to make those flushy spinnerbaits together with your daughter.
Let us know when you'll be done.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)