Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> License/regulation question in MN

Message Subject: License/regulation question in MN
Marshall
Posted 12/10/2011 12:01 PM (#528160)
Subject: License/regulation question in MN

Realize this isn't a fishing question, but know the knowledge base of the visitors of the site...

I am new to MN this year and am wondering what the regs on coyote hunting are. I have looked on the DNR site and see that they are an "unprotected" species, but cant seem to find any further info, such as whether I can hunt at night, what specific license (if any) that I need, or if I can use electronic calls?

If anyone can help or point me in the direction of some better info, I would appreciate it.
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/10/2011 12:11 PM (#528163 - in reply to #528160)
Subject: Re: License/regulation question in MN

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/hunting/2011/full_regs...

Bottom of page 19 states that unprotected species do not require any license to hunt. Page 40 describes when you can use spotlights to hunt coyotes and some of their restrictions. I didn't see anything on electronic calls, but it is probably in there somewhere.

Good luck, I'm headed out for yotes Sunday morning.
Marshall
Posted 12/10/2011 12:34 PM (#528167 - in reply to #528160)

Must have missed that paragraph. Thank you.
happy hooker
Posted 12/11/2011 8:53 AM (#528240 - in reply to #528167)

killem all!!!!!!!!!! your helping the pheasants
sworrall
Posted 12/11/2011 9:07 AM (#528244 - in reply to #528160)

There's peasants in MN? Economy must be tougher than I thought over there.
Herb_b
Posted 12/12/2011 1:21 PM (#528421 - in reply to #528160)

I grew up on a farm in central MN where we worked hard to support the Pheasant populaton and we learned a few things over the years.
- Coyotes do not seem to target Pheasants as their primary prey. Their primary prey appears to be deer and rabbits - especially jack rabbits and snowshow hares. The only time Coyotes seem to target Pheasants is when the rabbit and deer populations are low.
- Reducing the Coyote population does not necessarily help Pheasant populations. This is because Coyotes will either kill or push the Red Fox out of their territory and Red Fox are much, much harder on pheasants than Coyotes. Red Fox can quickly repopulate an area when the Coyotes are removed.
- Reducing the Coyote population can have a positive impact on the deer population. Coyotes can kill adult deer in deep snow conditions and are very hard on new-born fawns in the spring.
- Skunks and Racoons can have an even more detrimental affect on Pheasant populations than Red Fox or Coyotes because they destroy so many nests. Removing those varmits seems to hurt nothing.

Right now, the Coyotes seem to be having a very adverse impact on the deer populations in much of central MN. The Coyote population is high right now and we saw very few fawns this year during the deer season.

Just my experience.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)