Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Keep your wits about you men! big gun
- (Added by: big gun)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Applying epoxy

Message Subject: Applying epoxy
muskyjerk
Posted 10/20/2011 4:30 PM (#521461)
Subject: Applying epoxy

What method do you use to apply epoxy to coat a lure?
muletrain
Posted 10/20/2011 5:48 PM (#521470 - in reply to #521461)
Subject: RE: Applying epoxy

I have used enviro-tec and flex coat with no real noticeable differences in application. Pour equal parts using syringes or measuring cups, mix w/ popcicle stick for 2 mn. then let it sit for 10. I hold lures w/ a small vice grip on the screw eye. I use small foam brushes to apply epoxy(don't like hassling w/ the loose fibers of acid brushes). Then quicky run torch back and forth over bait to get rid of any bubbles. Then hang them or put them on drying wheel.
-Chris
muskyslayer96
Posted 10/20/2011 6:44 PM (#521477 - in reply to #521461)

Muskyjerk,

Clearing a bait can be one of the most frustrating aspects of building. Once you get it down, it will definitely take an average bait to top notch. Here is a post I wrote some time ago on my experience with clearing a bait. It was a response to issues encountered with E-tex and colder winter basement temps. I apologize for the length, I was on a roll.

DISCLAIMER: I am by no means an expert, and I have literally pulled my hair out with frustration. This works for ME and I have encountered many issues you. These steps have resulted in crystal clear, rock hard finishes and practically zero failures.

I have had the same issue happen to my E-tex at times and I have also had it cloudy. I ran myself ragged trying to determine if it was too humid, too cold, bad lot of E-tex, etc.

My final conclusion: I was not mixing the small amounts correctly (not truly 50/50)
The fix: (I agree with the others posts)
Since you clear in colder temps, look closely at your Resin bottle and make SURE none of the components have crashed out due to being stored in cold temps. It should be clear if you see any solidish particles you will never get a good clear. You can fix by heating water and soaking the bottle in it /mixing by inversion until clear. It may take getting the bottle fairly hot before the resin clears.
1. In the winter my finishing area is around 65 degrees, I turn on a small space heater about an hour before I'm going to clear the baits.
2. I place the resin and hardner bottles very close to the heater and turn them at times to get them warm (they are ready when they both are warm to the touch and flow/pour easily)
3. Use epoxy syringes (for rod building)...make sure they do not contain silicone lubricant. Dispense into plastic cup (disposable shot glasses work well)
4. Mix well for 2 minutes, transfer to a new mixing container, mix again for and additional 2 minutes. Do not worry about bubbles (more on that later).
5. After mixing pour out onto an old ceramic plate (also warmed near the heater), with a layer of tinfoil over it.
6. This will make a very thin layer of well mixed E-tex. This have a couple of advantages. It will extend the working time of the E-tex because it will lower the amount of heat generated by the reaction between the resin and hardner. (a large mix left in a mixing cup can get pretty hot and then it sets up FAST). The thin layer will also leave the bubbles created while mixing very close to the surface and hence easy to escape.
7. I cover the plate and let sit for 5-10 minutes. You will have virtually zero bubbles after this time frame and the frustrating electrostatic charge that the reaction has and its propensity to attract dust will be greatly reduced.
8. Hit the bait you are going to coat with a hairdryer for a bit to bring it's surface temp up, this will allow the E-tex to practically glide onto the bait. Slop it on and then get work it into a thin even layer.
9. Put on drying wheel. I keep my eye on it for the first 30 min to make sure there are no sags or fish eyes, after this you will do more damage trying to correct because the set up reaction is progressing.
10. Rotate for 5-6 hours, or until it has set up and will not flow or sag.
11. Place in a drying box (this is the key, I built mine for a couple of dollars, pic attached). I have a 40 watt bulb in mine gets the tep to 110 very fast and I control the temp by opening/closing the top hatch. I keep the baits in the heated drying box for approx. 18 hours.
11. This will give you a crystal clear rock hard coat. i apologize for the lenght of this post, but I struggled for my first year and a half and almost gave up because of crappy clear coat on some of my best paint jobs. This has worked for me, I can only attest to my results and opinions will differ.

Hope this helps

MS

Xtreme Muskie Lures
Posted 10/27/2011 9:27 PM (#522446 - in reply to #521477)

Muskieslayer,
Excellent post, thanks for sharing. You mentioned you attached a pic of the drying box, but I didn't see it. I am interested in seeing how you built it. Also, do you apply more than one coat of epoxy? If so, do you still let them cure for 18 hours in between coats?

Thanks again,

Edited by Xtreme Muskie Lures 10/27/2011 9:28 PM
muskyslayer96
Posted 10/28/2011 4:56 AM (#522487 - in reply to #522446)

XML,

Thanks for the kind words. I usually apply between 3 and 5 thin coats depending on the pattern. Since that post I have modified my drying-heating system with the following. I can control the temp from ambient to 120 with a dimmer switch!

Thanks,

MS

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(download (25).jpg)

(dryer05.jpg)

(download (23).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments download (25).jpg (58KB - 132 downloads)
Attachments dryer05.jpg (56KB - 132 downloads)
Attachments download (23).jpg (52KB - 132 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)