Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Zebra Mussel Impact on Natrual Lakes

Message Subject: Zebra Mussel Impact on Natrual Lakes
Brad P
Posted 8/22/2013 2:36 PM (#658882)
Subject: Zebra Mussel Impact on Natrual Lakes

This thread is not about alarmism about AIS or various control measures.

I'm interested in discussion on how the zeebs are changing or creating fishing patterns on infested lakes. Tonka is changing right now. Ron Lindner is talking about how he needs to learn how to fish Gull Lake again after Zebra Mussel infestation. Curious as to how people find success when dealing with lakes as they progress through zebra mussel infestation.
ToddM
Posted 8/22/2013 4:44 PM (#658901 - in reply to #658882)
Subject: Re: Zebra Mussel Impact on Natrual Lakes

webster lake was infested with them. the lake was relatively clear and the fishing was pretty good. a few years ago they did another massive weed kill and wiped out the zebra mussels in the process. with lots of farm runoff and being able to smell manure when you fish, nothingfilters it now. water looks like the water in your septic tank and when there is alot of rain, you get lots of floating algae. the mussels at least herr wwre a good thing.
woodieb8
Posted 9/1/2013 7:55 AM (#660749 - in reply to #658882)

we had invasion in 1990. fast forward. zebra mussels created a perfect haven for sight predaters. water filtered muskies and bass exploded. walleyes went thru a change,and fishing ways.. now with filtered water above 59 degrees st clair cleans in 48 hours of a blow up. with that said light penetrates and theres more weed beds. in shallow lakes that are fertile zebras have been a boon.
on lakes in canadien shield lakes it may become just the opposite.. less nutrients,slower growth can be a demeaning factor.
Cody
Posted 9/2/2013 12:34 PM (#660889 - in reply to #658882)

I can give my opinion on Lake Erie with the Zebra Mussels and Goby infestation. The fishing at this place could not be better. This is the a Smallmouth Bass fishing paradise, Yellow Perch by the millions are taken every year. Steelheads, Walleye and trophy Brown Trout. This Lake used to be a cesspool. The last B.A.S.S. Elite series tournament some traveled almost two hundred miles one way to fish here verses LSC. I'm by far not a Biologist or Scientist however I know the fishing here is great !!
Kirby Budrow
Posted 9/2/2013 1:05 PM (#660891 - in reply to #658882)

It will be interesting to see what happens with Lake Winnie and connected Mississippi waters in the future with the recent zebra muscle infestation.
Brad P
Posted 9/8/2013 9:14 PM (#662036 - in reply to #658882)

so refining my question: I know there are lakes that have had them for a long while and in many cases the fishing has improved. My question is how have patterns evolved post zeebs? Deeper weed growth, clearer water, etc. It changes how the food chain behaves, changes how the fish progress seasonally. That is the stuff I'm trying to get a handle on as it is happenign where I fish. I'm looking for ideas on things I can try given the changes the lake is going through. I can try stuff on my own, which I do, but it always helps to learn from the paths blazed by others.
ToddM
Posted 9/8/2013 10:09 PM (#662046 - in reply to #658882)

It depends on how clear the lake was and will get, is there millfoil too? Weeds can grow down the breaks, fishing deeper weeds and deeper water in general.
Brad P
Posted 9/13/2013 1:06 PM (#663000 - in reply to #658882)

clear and getting clearer. Milfoil and Curly Lead Pondweed are present in the system. No shad/ No Ciscoes.
RobChance
Posted 9/13/2013 1:14 PM (#663001 - in reply to #658882)

While I haven't noticed much change in the muskie fishing in Tonka since the mussel invasion, I do feel like Bass fishing has slowed, at least for me. One possible impact I can see is that through the filtration while the Mussels feed it removes the algae that bait fish are eating, reducing the total forage in the lake from competition.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)