Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Thanks to AML

Message Subject: Thanks to AML
MuskyFlyGuy
Posted 10/7/2011 10:25 AM (#519707)
Subject: Thanks to AML

Thanks to Herbie and his outstanding staff at AML. I took my adult son up there and they put together a great trip for us. Who would have thought you could get sunburn in October? Our first time on the water and we want to go back next year.
Tom
ManitouDan
Posted 10/7/2011 12:45 PM (#519733 - in reply to #519707)
Subject: Re: Thanks to AML

HOW BOUT A SMALL or lengthy fishing report ?
MuskyFlyGuy
Posted 10/7/2011 3:47 PM (#519764 - in reply to #519733)
Subject: Re: Thanks to AML

Water level is down about two feet. It was post turnover and with the heat and sunshine, fish were scattered. We caught single walleyes out of schools in 40 feet and then they scattered. We found several schools however, that would not spook in 25 feet. Later in the week we found a large school possibly held together by some muskies. Smallies were still biting on humps and they are an impressive fish. Shaped like footballs is not an exaggeration. Most groups with guides were catching muskies on suckers. We lost two on hooksets, but did land a nice one. In fact, the fight was so good that we had to remeasure because it acted larger. Everyone reported girthy muskies. Most of the guide boats reported follows ranging from 1 to 12 a day. The follows tended to be low and slow, but some people had nose bumps.

The most excitement was a battle with a 25" walleye. We were marking a large school and the only fish we caught out of it was mauled. I got a hit and the guide said if I did not hurry up and land it, he would have to light up a cigarette. Just then the walleye made a run and became very heavy. Quickly I realized that on the 6 foot spinning rod with 6 pound test mono I had a muskie. At that point I was thinking the muskie hit the Lindy rig. It was quite a battle and each time it got near the boat it dived like a submarine. We all saw it and I think everyone was afraid to say what they were seeing. Everyone worked together and we had it close enough to clearly see twice, but still too far to net. The next thing I knew was that we had a 25" walleye in the net and there was still a lurking shadow. The fish was chewed on more than a newbie in basic training. The guide said to get it in the water and maybe the muskie would come back. This time the walleye either got off or got taken off and both disappeared. Within 3-4 seconds the sucker rod goes off and my son sets it. He landed a 15 pound northern and then it was done and the walleyes started to bite again. The guide thought the predators were holding this large school together. We went back the next day and had a hookset on a sucker in the same place, but the hooks did not stick. Others on different parts of the lake reported seeing monsters and there were several caught over 50 inches.

Herbie does a great job of creating a positive and supportive attitude within the camp. The guides meet with each other at the end of the day and compare notes. They are trying to keep people on fish. My son really improved his skills and after seeing those Eagle Lake monsters, wants to go again next year.

Tom
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)