Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Arthitus anyone?

Message Subject: Arthitus anyone?
Herb_b
Posted 9/13/2011 7:00 PM (#516405)
Subject: Arthitus anyone?

I found out today that I have arthitus in my left shoulder. There is little that can be done at this point other than pain pills and maybe a cortisone shot. I have to limit the stress on the shoulder joint and that is going to take some adjustments - especially with Muskie fishing.

I have found that the pain is much worse when casting and reeling in larger lures, especially larger blades, and when fighting large fish with a too-tight drag. (Sometimes its fun to go toe-to-toe with them.) So, one thing is to just throw smaller lures and loosen the drag a little more when fighting fish. Another option is using lures that cast and real in easier like topwaters, mid-sized crank baits or mid-sized plastics.

Does anyone else have any issues with Athritus or any other chronic joint or back pain? How do you deal with it? Any suggestions? (Please don't suggest that I fish for Walleyes. )
5th lake Brad
Posted 9/13/2011 8:46 PM (#516436 - in reply to #516405)
Subject: RE: Arthitus anyone?

Learn to use both left and right-handed reels. It gives the other side of the body a break. Different muscles are used from head to toe. Works for me. Good luck.
sworrall
Posted 9/13/2011 9:12 PM (#516443 - in reply to #516405)
Subject: Re: Arthitus anyone?

C5/C6 injury and bursitis in the shoulders made me adjust to using my wrists and forearms more than shoulder motion, and allows for some pretty aggressive angling without much shoulder rotation. Neck still gets sore as all get out, ibuprofen for that.
Seilers
Posted 9/13/2011 9:50 PM (#516446 - in reply to #516443)

Could try Glucosamine and Chondroitin. They are "over the counter". Doesn't work for everyone, but does provide relief for some.
jonnysled
Posted 9/14/2011 6:27 AM (#516472 - in reply to #516405)

glucosamine and chondroitin are good but you need to t take them continuously over time ... it's not a quick-fix but does help once you've taken it awhile. i've got arthritis in my thumbs and as a result have limited my musky-fishing and spend more time fishing smallies and catching the big-fish right here on muskyfirst.com. in-fact, i believe you are an example of internet catch-and-release that keeps taking the bait.

otherwise, i've got shoulder problems from benching and curling 3 times my weight back in the body building days when i was a junkyard stud ... and like anything you take there can be side-effects, one is seeing things much smaller than they appear to be.
Tim Schmitz
Posted 9/14/2011 6:57 AM (#516476 - in reply to #516472)

Look at the fish next to my name!! CJ spinner baits are the only bait I own!! I bench press 732lbs!!
oddball
Posted 9/14/2011 7:55 AM (#516482 - in reply to #516405)

My dad has had rheumatoid arthritis for about 35 years .His hands are all messed up but he still fishes , you just have to hit it hard on the good days take it easy on the bad ,keep active dont let it rule your life and take advil when needed .
Slamr
Posted 9/14/2011 8:39 AM (#516492 - in reply to #516405)

For all of you with aches/pains you MIGHT want to try this: http://www.wintercresthealth.com/ It's like a tiger balm, biofreeze, etc. but it works about 3000% better. I workout, lift, play too many sports at my ripe old age of 37 and I keep a little jar of this stuff in my bag at all times. Doesnt smell that bad, a little goes a long way, and it really does help with the aches and pains.
MACK
Posted 9/14/2011 8:52 AM (#516493 - in reply to #516405)

I'm 37 years old and let me tell you....I'm too young to feel this dang old!

Both ankles are shot, both knees are shot, both hips are shot, back is shot, both rotator cuffs are shot, both wrists are shot. Too many years with the weight lifting and on the BMX/Freestyle bikes and downhill extreme and competition skiing that took it's toll on my body and I'm feeling it now...big time. When out fishing....I can only be on my feet for so long...then I gotta sit down and troll. Take a break trolling, then get back up and cast for a while on the feet...rinse and repeat as necessary.

I see a lot of joint replacement surgery in my future...
Herb_b
Posted 9/14/2011 10:03 AM (#516504 - in reply to #516405)

Thanks for all the tips. Based on your input, I am going to try adjusting my casting style and do more trolling. I am also going shopping. Geat info! Thanks much all!
wallydiven
Posted 9/14/2011 10:30 AM (#516506 - in reply to #516405)

Sorry that I can't help. I'm still just a young buck
gregk9
Posted 9/14/2011 10:42 AM (#516508 - in reply to #516405)

Don't feel bad you 37 year young guys. My arthritis started in my spine at the age of 21. By 37 I was done working full time because of it. My main problem is I can't take any anti inflammatories because of bleeding ulcers I had in my early 20's. Plus, when I was trying to take them, the half dozen or so different ones that I took didn’t help.

I've also been blessed (sarcasm) with tendonitis in both shoulders, knees and my right wrist and elbow and my left hip. Currently the elbow is the only thing worrying me about Fall fishing. I'm gonna give it a shot and if it bothers me to a point of being debilitating, I’ll go in and get a shot. The injections worked VERY good for my left shoulder!

Other than that, I take Triflex from GNC. The walmart glucosamine /chondroitin didn't do squat for me. This stuff seems to help a bit.

Edited by gregk9 9/14/2011 10:47 AM
Qrocks
Posted 9/14/2011 5:10 PM (#516568 - in reply to #516405)

I've been diagnosed with Psoriatic arthritis resulting from a hereditary auto immune disorder. Phil Mickelson has this type. I am being treated by doctors at the Mayo Clinic. I am on prescribed pills and injections to get the auto immune cells to stop attacking my healthy cells. I encourage everyone to ensure they are getting the proper long term treatment for their specific type of condition.

BTW, headed up to Sabaskong Bay next week. I hope the fish and I are up for the event!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/psoriatic-arthritis/DS00476
horsehunter
Posted 9/14/2011 6:39 PM (#516582 - in reply to #516405)

I have had arthritus since my teens sometimes in the fall I have to practically pry my claw like hands off my reel and they will ache all night. I saw the effects some of the medications my dad took had on him so I have tried to avoid drugs. I do take a Cod liver oil Capsul every day and feel it is some benifit.

I bought an outboard last month from one of the most inspirinational people I have met in a long time. He took the lower end out last July and couldn't wait for the insurance adjuster or parts so he had them put a new motor on his boat rather than miss any fishing. He worked as a game warden since right after the war from when Fish and Wildlife were seperate from Lands and Forrest and was posted all around northern Ontario retiring in the 80's. Next month he will turn 90 and fishes 3 days a week towing his 18 foot boat with his SUV this is after batteling prostate cancer, colen cancer and now liver cancer his chemo has stopped working and he is hoping to be included in an new drug trial but he carries on and could outdo many 55 year olds. When phoneing him his wife would always say he was outside. And when I met him I asked if maybe his wife wouldnt let him in the house he said he couldnt stand being inside if it was sunny.

While the Marina was doing the motor switch he invited my wife and I back to his house where he had 2 acres of gardens to rival any small park so I now Know why he was allways out side.

At 68 I don't think I could keep up with him.

When We left he said to me

YESTERDAY WAS GREAT SO FAR TODAYS BEEN PRETTY GOOD I DON'T KNOW ABOUT TOMORROW BUT NOBODY CAN TAKE YESTERDAY AWAY FROM ME

Edited by horsehunter 9/14/2011 6:41 PM
MuskyHopeful
Posted 9/14/2011 8:56 PM (#516610 - in reply to #516405)

Thumbs/pads of my hands from digging it out of the dirt. Aleve works before playing. Tendonitis in my left elbow is more annoying than the thumbs. That's a swing issue. It's minimized when I'm making a good shoulder turn. I usually score better, too, when I do that, so it's a win win.

Kevin
Tackle Industries
Posted 9/14/2011 9:12 PM (#516612 - in reply to #516610)

Fish oil too. Omega-3. Its a COX-3 inhibitor.
Kevin G
Posted 9/14/2011 9:38 PM (#516619 - in reply to #516405)

Most shoulder problems root cause is the scapular. I am 48 years old and just a year ago was talking like many people I am reading here. I truely thought I would soon not be able to compete in the one sport I love. I too only threw small baits and would only be able to throw for a few hours at a time. Now I am not only throwing cowgirls, mag dawgs, medussas, and burning showgirls...I can do it for 4 hrs in the morning and 4 hours in the evening. Now this may not be for everyone and you should ask your doctor before starting any rehab program but this worked great for me...took about 6 months. This rehab program will build scapular stability, correct your posture and build your shoulders like bowling balls. You have to try it...you don't need to use a lot a weight either....start real low like 2lbs and build your way up...it is friken amazing. Here is the site: http://www.dieselcrew.com/ . They also have rehab programs for backs, knees, ect. Hope this helps.
Reef Hawg
Posted 9/14/2011 10:16 PM (#516628 - in reply to #516405)

I'm also mid 30's, and have been victom of a throwing/casting arm/shoulder issue since I was college to a slight degree. It really manifested itself as a problem 4 years ago, tossing an apple core out the back door of all things. After a couple weeks of thinking I tore something, an mri showed subluxation(partial dislocation) from instability. I had to limit heavy use for about the next year and a half. Not sure if because of 'favoring', but I pulled the other one less severely, just about the time the left one started feeling better. Dr. said perhaps hereditary but that musky fishing a likely cause and to either stop it or change it.

Realizing years of poor mechanics, someone suggested I change the way I cast. Simply keeping my elbows tucked in closer to my body when casting(and reeling big blades) reduced stress to the shoulder. At first forget about it, but the pain would let me know as soon as I lapsed. Allowing longer rods to do the work, keeping the arms in, allowed the shoulders time to heal while still taking part in the sport. Not likely to fix damage that's occured, but something as stupid as little adjustments in mundane tasks, could at least slow the worsening of the issue...

Now if I could just figure out how to keep this knee from requiring ibuprofin......(or is this just something I am going to have to live with from here out..?..).

Edited by Reef Hawg 9/14/2011 10:22 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)