Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Timing

Message Subject: Timing
MuskieFever
Posted 9/7/2011 10:49 PM (#515567)
Subject: Timing

I'm up in the land of the plains for college right now, needless to say I don't have access to musky lakes anywhere close to me. I would really like to haul back home to the cities for one last weekend of muskies. My question is, between now and mid october (or before the temps hit mid 30's because i fish out of an I/O) what weekend would put higher odds in my favor? I have very little experience FALL musky fishing due to school and prior athletics. Any help would be great, I have no idea on metro water temps.
Posted 9/8/2011 12:06 PM (#515627 - in reply to #515567)
Subject: RE: Timing

I would say I have the best luck in the fall right after that first big cool down that sends water temps into the mid-low 60's. Keep an eye on the forecast. Most of fall should be good, just try to stay away from the days right after turnover if possible.
Posted 9/8/2011 5:09 PM (#515685 - in reply to #515567)

Can someone explain turnover?
Posted 9/9/2011 7:37 AM (#515764 - in reply to #515567)

In the summer, most lakes stratify into layers with the warmest water on top and coldest water on the bottom. The depth with the most significant change in water temperature is the thermocline. As the fall air begins cooling the water, it does so from the surface. The difference in water temp above and below the thermocline decreases. Now add in some wind and you will get to a point where the water temperature on the top is not warmer than the water temperature below the thermocline and the lake will begin mixing. This is referred to as turnover. On most lakes you will see an increase in turbidity and floating weeds/leaves.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)